Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

5 hours ago, txdrummer said:

Firehawk's  dispatch interval was different but it seemed to prevent stacking on the brake run. That will make a huge difference to guests when they aren't out in the sun just sitting, assuming it continues.

Beast: The "banked" turn into the covered brake run is still rough. The rest of the course seemed fine.

Wait a minute.  I don’t get this.  Firehawk has two trains and two platforms, the trains always have a home.  Why would it ever stack? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Wait a minute.  I don’t get this.  Firehawk has two trains and two platforms, the trains always have a home.  Why would it ever stack? 

Perhaps "stacking" was the wrong choice of word. 

The operators were certainly doing something different that evening and to me it was an improvement over previous years. 

• Like 1

I was checking my funpix (I try to download them in the park as I get then, just in case).  On Mystic, the picture showed up for the 1st ride.  Good deal, but no video.  Thats ok, I was in the back, so hard to see.  The next ride was in the front.  I asked the ride op about it and he said it was on there automatically.  I asked about using the self scan and was told, go ahead but you should be good.  The self scan was working, so I went ahead and did it.

When I downloaded them, sure enough, there was my ride picture, my video, and then my ride picture Christmas Snow Video (the one with snow and music).  All had the April 14th date.  Too funny.  I let the Funpix guy know.  I told him that I was not complaining but liked it, just wanted to give him a heads up.  I will try to post, but not sure if it will work.

21ab31fa-7e1c-4eea-a77d-ed18cb3437bf.mp4

200180_7518242.jpg

Edited by Gannersdaddy
To see if video worked
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sol44 said:

Not sure if new, but first time I noticed the separate drink line one the left at RHOFG. Seems to speed things up at the food order point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was there for part of last year. My issue is that at some points last year, you could not order your food and drinks at the same time. You had to go through the food line to order your food only, then get in the drink line to get your drinks separately. I hope they're not doing that again. It's fine to have an express drink-only line, but drinks should be available at the food line also so you don't have to wait through two lines.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

I was checking my funpix (I try to download them in the park as I get then, just in case).  On Mystic, the picture showed up for the 1st ride.  Good deal, but no video.  Thats ok, I was in the back, so hard to see.  The next ride was in the front.  I asked the ride op about it and he said it was on there automatically.  I asked about using the self scan and was told, go ahead but you should be good.  The self scan was working, so I went ahead and did it.

When I downloaded them, sure enough, there was my ride picture, my video, and then my ride picture Christmas Snow Video (the one with snow and music).  All had the April 14th date.  Too funny.  I let the Funpix guy know.  I told him that I was not complaining but liked it, just wanted to give him a heads up.  I will try to post, but not sure if it will work.

21ab31fa-7e1c-4eea-a77d-ed18cb3437bf.mp4

200180_7518242.jpg

Mine did that as well lol

• Like 2

I'm 6foot5 and can ride every ride comfortably with ease except drop zone.. I remember years ago the belt that you have to snap in had about a foot length on it, now it's like a inch...  

And did any other talk people take a beating by SOB on the knees? The bar that was used to hold onto on that ride beat my knee caps so bad I almost cried... my knees swelled almost 2 inches and was unable to walk the second day.. I went back a month later and rode it again. I couldn't resist second time I wore long basketball shorts under Jeans to cushion my knee caps.. it worked 

On 4/14/2018 at 3:53 PM, Gannersdaddy said:

Not a fan. It seemed rougher as well. At least to me

We rode it Friday night and both my husband and i thought it was really rough, the tunnels were freezing. We decided to try again Saturday and it was like a completely different ride. It was really cute, there was a 7yr old little girl riding for her first time in front of us, she loved it! I was terrified at that age to ride coasters, glad ive changed!

• Like 2

So, what did everyone think of Delirium's new restraints? I feel like it made the ride more thrilling as I actually thought I was going to fall out (lol); guess I have to get used to them. For some context, the old restraints made the ride seem pretty relaxing, whereas the new restraints, being slimmer and with no handles, made me feel like I was close to falling out. I will say, they do look nice, though. ^_^

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I love the new bluegrass/country covers in Rivertown (well, most of them, one I felt didn't work so well...), it makes the area feel more cozy and chill. 

On 4/14/2018 at 12:33 AM, malem said:

On The Beast last night, my train was stopped on the lift so that the crew could confiscate a camera.

Great to see this rule being strictly enforced!

We saw that, we were just getting off when it happened, some people are just idiots. 

39 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

So, what did everyone think of Delirium's new restraints? I feel like it made the ride more thrilling as I actually thought I was going to fall out (lol); guess I have to get used to them. For some context, the old restraints made the ride seem pretty relaxing, whereas the new restraints, being slimmer and with no handles, made me feel like I was close to falling out. I will say, they do look nice, though. ^_^

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I love the new bluegrass/country covers in Rivertown (well, most of them, one I felt didn't work so well...), it makes the area feel more cozy and chill. 

I haven't rode it yet this year.. didn't know it had new restraints.. is it still as roomy as before?  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Delirium is my fav ride thats not a coaster. I didn't realize it was getting new restraints. Went straight there Friday night as soon as we arrived and it was closed so didn't get to ride. Hopefully its not too drastic of a change and "bigger" riders can still fit my friend has an issue on wind seeker and Drop Tower but always has been able to ride Delirium.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

We saw that, we were just getting off when it happened, some people are just idiots. 

Im just curious and im sure you guys know the answer, how do the operators know when someone is using their cell phones? I can see w the new coasters and all the technology but with beast being so much older im curious. 

2 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

Im just curious and im sure you guys know the answer, how do the operators know when someone is using their cell phones? I can see w the new coasters and all the technology but with beast being so much older im curious. 

I wonder too, because I have taking full videos on beast, Banshee, DB and WindSeeker and never had a issue

23 minutes ago, Melody said:

Delirium is my fav ride thats not a coaster. I didn't realize it was getting new restraints. Went straight there Friday night as soon as we arrived and it was closed so didn't get to ride. Hopefully its not too drastic of a change and "bigger" riders can still fit my friend has an issue on wind seeker and Drop Tower but always has been able to ride Delirium.

We rode Saturday and had no issues.  I did not even realize there were no restaints.  Its probably the best flat in the park, in my opinion

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

First, the driver can watch the train as it exits the station. A lot of the time, the person with the phone or camera already has it out by then. Failing that, I assume there are cameras mounted on the lift hill that the driver can watch the feed from.

9 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I wonder too, because I have taking full videos on beast, Banshee, DB and WindSeeker and never had a issue

Uh... please stop. Immediately. By having a phone, camera, or other electronic device out while on a coaster, you are jeopardizing the safety of everyone else on the train as well as committing a misdemeanor by failing to comply with posted safety instructions. If caught, you could be ejected and/or banned from the park, and/or lose your season pass. Don't risk yourself or others. Please.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

First, the driver can watch the train as it exits the station. A lot of the time, the person with the phone or camera already has it out by then. Failing that, I assume there are cameras mounted on the lift hill that the driver can watch the feed from.

Uh... please stop. Immediately. By having a phone, camera, or other electronic device out while on a coaster, you are jeopardizing the safety of everyone else on the train as well as committing a misdemeanor by failing to comply with posted safety instructions. If caught, you could be ejected and/or banned from the park, and/or lose your season pass. Don't risk yourself or others. Please.

Why would you even want to do that? Im sorry i agree, it puts every one in danger and its just a stupid move. Please know i only asked as i was curious, no way would i ever try a bone headed move like that. 

• Like 2

Why would I do it? I did it because my wife and I enjoy watching them... I feel no safety of anyone was at risk as my phone had a strap connected to my belt loop....  but yeah i def don't want banned from park

And with out having a strap i agree the danger in it.. then sun glasses or reg glasses should be banned as well, because they aren't strapped to the person... I was struck by sunglasses Saturday on DB left a red mark on my arm, stung...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I understand why you would want to do it and some parks are fine with it, but not KI.  I have been told by the ride associates at CP it is fine with Skyride and Giant Wheel as long as I keep the phone inside the ride vehicle.  

I do get the safety issue, but when I did it, it wasn't possible to lose my phone.. though at this time I can't strap it to me and wouldn't risk people's safety or a 1000$ phone. And dropping 2500$ this year on passes def do not want banned from KI so if someone gets hit by a phone this year, it wasn't me

And at CP only video I got is sky ride

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

And with out having a strap i agree the danger in it.. then sun glasses or reg glasses should be banned as well, because they aren't strapped to the person... I was struck by sunglasses Saturday on DB left a red mark on my arm, stung...

CP actually requires a strap for glasses on some of the coasters and at least one of the big flats.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I have been told by the ride associates at CP it is fine with Skyride and Giant Wheel as long as I keep the phone inside the ride vehicle.

That's interesting, because the CP website actually says that picture taking is only permitted on the CP&LE Railroad. Check here under Loose Articles: https://www.cedarpoint.com/help/ride-policies

1 minute ago, jcgoble3 said:

That's interesting, because the CP website actually says that picture taking is only permitted on the CP&LE Railroad. Check here under Loose Articles: https://www.cedarpoint.com/help/ride-policies

It is an interesting situation.   Do you follow some written rule buried in some policy manual less than 1% of park attendees actual read or do you follow the instructions of the on-site ride attendant at a park with a reputation of excellence in training their employees?  

I have only been on Giant Wheel a few times but always ride Skyride when it is running and always ask if it is OK to take pictures.  Never been told no.  

• Like 3