Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

While that statement is true and I have not read the statute, I also imagine one is also required to follow all directions by the ride attendants even if they contradict posted rules. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and say there isn’t a jury in Ohio that is going to return a guilty verdict if a ride attendant gave you permission to take some photos.   I further highly doubt CF is going to impose punitive consequences on a park guest when given permission by one of their employees.  

The law in question is ORC 1711.551. Riders are required both to follow posted directions and to not act in any manner that could cause injury. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.551

Are riders routinely cited? No, but it would depend on the circumstances, whether it was a repeat offense, and the behavior of the individual guest.

However, if a guest's camera or loose article would injure another guest, a criminal citation (in addition to park penalties and possible civil lawsuits) would be extremely likely.

• Like 2

I agree hanging a camera outside a ride vehicle could contribute, but inside the vehicle on Skyride?   Regardless it seems clear that CP management’s policy is to allow photography on Skyride (with restrictions).   Food or drink are not allowed on rides as well.  Have you ever seen them making guests dump their souvenir bottle before loading?  

6 hours ago, malem said:

The law in question is ORC 1711.551. Riders are required both to follow posted directions and to not act in any manner that could cause injury. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.551

Are riders routinely cited? No, but it would depend on the circumstances, whether it was a repeat offense, and the behavior of the individual guest.

However, if a guest's camera or loose article would injure another guest, a criminal citation (in addition to park penalties and possible civil lawsuits) would be extremely likely.

I've not heard of the park actually pursuing action on anyone, except people throwing things from the Eiffel Tower.

That being said, the official on ride videos are much higher quality than anything you are taking on your GoPro or cell phone, just don't do it.

• Like 2

Opening day was walkons if you braved the rain. I left when the first rain hit, just because I will be there every weekend and have the season fast pass.  Season pass preview night was my first one I ever been too.. it was INSANE lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

Why would I do it? I did it because my wife and I enjoy watching them... I feel no safety of anyone was at risk as my phone had a strap connected to my belt loop....  but yeah i def don't want banned from park

And with out having a strap i agree the danger in it.. then sun glasses or reg glasses should be banned as well, because they aren't strapped to the person... I was struck by sunglasses Saturday on DB left a red mark on my arm, stung...

Out of curiosity how are you connecting you phone to your belt loop?   Is it a special phone case with a clip on it?  I have been looking at different ways to not loose stuff on rides.

2 hours ago, KImom said:

Were any of the shows running this weekend? If so, how were they?

No shows as far as I know are running. I did notice they changed the "I Love the 90s" show to some Country music?

No show-boards mentioning Cirque. Dog show still listed, but I am not sure if that is returning

1 hour ago, LuvingKI said:

Opening day was walkons if you braved the rain. I left when the first rain hit, just because I will be there every weekend and have the season fast pass.  Season pass preview night was my first one I ever been too.. it was INSANE lol

I got there around 630. I think I had to wait 10 minutes for Mystic Timbers and 5 for Diamondback. Not so much as a sprinkle when we got there, it felt fantastic out.

We were in the Festhaus for sound check for one of the live bands, River City. What I heard of them was very good. Probably should have stuck around. 

That Jump! sign is definitely for this year, because last year was a different dog show. I much preferred Jump! so I'm glad to see it's coming back. 

Don Helbig said info about the new cirque show will be added to the site in the next week or so, and I bet the signs for it will go up by early May at the latest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goettablitz said:

Out of curiosity how are you connecting you phone to your belt loop?   Is it a special phone case with a clip on it?  I have been looking at different ways to not loose stuff on rides.

This was 3 years ago the last time I ever took video and yes my phone case at the time had a clip, it was almost and I had a string connected to the clip and tied around belt loop

51 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

This was 3 years ago the last time I ever took video and yes my phone case at the time had a clip, it was almost and I had a string connected to the clip and tied around belt loop

Just because it is secured to you by a string doesn't make it ok. I can actually see that becoming worse, if you lost your grip it would be bouncing all over the place and hitting you or another person. Especially if it is a retractable string like I am assuming it is. Like another person stated there are perfect pov videos on KI's youtube if you wanna watch ;).

1 hour ago, spooky21 said:

Just because it is secured to you by a string doesn't make it ok. I can actually see that becoming worse, if you lost your grip it would be bouncing all over the place and hitting you or another person. Especially if it is a retractable string like I am assuming it is. Like another person stated there are perfect pov videos on KI's youtube if you wanna watch ;).

Yeah I've heard from about 5 people, had one person throw out boneheaded and stupid...  it's done now.  Noone was injured 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:40 PM, LuvingKI said:

I'm 6foot5 and can ride every ride comfortably with ease except drop zone.. I remember years ago the belt that you have to snap in had about a foot length on it, now it's like a inch...  

That explains why I barely could ride last year. It had been years since I last rode, and never had a problem. Never even remembered thinking about the restraints being tight. Last year I had to scrunch all the way down and my shoulders were still crunched in to get the belt latched. I mean I knew I put some weight on, but that doesn't affect my butt to shoulder distance. If they did indeed shorten the belt, that would make more sense. 

7 minutes ago, fryoj said:

That explains why I barely could ride last year. It had been years since I last rode, and never had a problem. Never even remembered thinking about the restraints being tight. Last year I had to scrunch all the way down and my shoulders were still crunched in to get the belt latched. I mean I knew I put some weight on, but that doesn't affect my butt to shoulder distance. If they did indeed shorten the belt, that would make more sense. 

Yep, they messed it up for us tall riders,  I don't even ride it anymore, because it hurts my shoulders, and the fear of it breaking down and being stuck on it would be painful

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

Yeah I've heard from about 5 people, had one person throw out boneheaded and stupid...  it's done now.  Noone was injured 

I wouldn't use boneheaded or stupid, we all make mistakes. What matters is that you learn from them and move forward :)

• Like 2

I apologize for my choice of words, i just am a by the book person and just see recording as a dangerous thing to do. I would love video of me riding but its not worth the risk to me or others. I have almost always used my cell on Sky Ride, i guess i always thought of the restrictions being for the big coasters, etc. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, harmony29 said:

I apologize for my choice of words, i just am a by the book person and just see recording as a dangerous thing to do. I would love video of me riding but its not worth the risk to me or others. I have almost always used my cell on Sky Ride, i guess i always thought of the restrictions being for the big coasters, etc. 

I agree, at the time to be honest I never thought of someone being injured, i would just thought worst case my phone would fall and I'd lose it, but after this Saturday having someone's sunglasses fly back and smack me in the arm and the mark they left, yeah I could only imagine a cell phone coming back and smacking someone in the face could be brutal

So stupid and boneheaded maybe was the right choice of words ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

After hearing about Rivertown adding its own music compared to the pop music that was there,  anyone think they will keep this up and add more themed music to another area of the park? 

We now have what,  International Street music back,  Planet Snoopy own,  Rivertown country music,  I read in Coney Mall,  The Racer has its own music so that's nice.  

• Like 3