Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

Other than deleting the video, what else can be done / are you allowed to do?
The darn thing about Mystic is I think it is a better ride in the back, and the not adrenaline rush of dodging a phone or camera.

Can’t speak for Mystic, but from my experience on Banshee, Drop Tower and Bat we can stop the ride and tell them to put it away, if they don’t comply, typically we won’t go as far as taking them off of the train when it’s already been dispatched from the station, but we can let them know that security will be waiting for them when they come back. That’s when they stop laughing really quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bansheeback said:

Can’t speak for Mystic, but from my experience on Banshee, Drop Tower and Bat we can stop the ride and tell them to put it away, if they don’t comply, typically we won’t go as far as taking them off of the train when it’s already been dispatched from the station, but we can let them know that security will be waiting for them when they come back. That’s when they stop laughing really quick.

Does it do any good for me to report this?  Odds are, if they are doing it on one coaster, they will be doing on another.

Again, I liken this to Smoking outside of the Smoking areas.  If no one does anything about it, whats the point in having the rule?

I am not trying to be difficult, just cautious.

• Like 4

Just now, spooky21 said:

Not just phones, ALL loose articles. We love Diamondback in the last row and we fear this. My wife got hit with quarters last year.

I caught some kids placing pennies on the floor in front of us on the 1st lift hill on this once.  After I yelled at them, they quickly put them up.  I was all ready to confront some parents at the end of the ride, but none were there and the kids bolted rather quickly.

• Like 2

Does it do any good for me to report this?  Odds are, if they are doing it on one coaster, they will be doing on another.
Again, I liken this to Smoking outside of the Smoking areas.  If no one does anything about it, whats the point in having the rule?
I am not trying to be difficult, just cautious.

I get what you’re saying. It depends on the associate, but me, and most associates that work around me, care deeply about people smoking outside of the designated areas, as it affects us too. So please do report it to someone. As for electronic devices on rides, if we don’t see it, please do report it, and we will take the necessary steps to make sure the person doing it doesn’t do it again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gannersdaddy said:

I caught some kids placing pennies on the floor in front of us on the 1st lift hill on this once.  After I yelled at them, they quickly put them up.  I was all ready to confront some parents at the end of the ride, but none were there and the kids bolted rather quickly.

I probably wouldn't be able to keep my cool in a situation like that. I generally don't say much if I see a phone but I'm going to start letting people know how dangerous it is and that it also can be a misdemeanor.

• Like 3

Question- if I have a child who isn’t tall enough for a ride and one who is, will they let my other child hang out in the station while we ride? I remember doing this when I was little but I know things change lol

Question- if I have a child who isn’t tall enough for a ride and one who is, will they let my other child hang out in the station while we ride? I remember doing this when I was little but I know things change lol

Generally they can wait right outside of the station exit behind the yellow line. If they are not too small they can wait in line and then walk through and wait right at the exit, as long as they stay behind the yellow line. At least that has been our experience. Some ops at the entry may not let a small child into the line, depends on the ride and the op.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

At Universal there is a metal detector at Rip Rocket and Hulk coasters so no phones, coins, or metal objects allowed.  (Back when Dragon Challenge was in operation several were hit with coins and the park settled several lawsuits.). Could Cedar Fair be considering the same of putting metal detectors at coaster entrances to reduce their liability of someone getting struck with an object).

At Universal there is a metal detector at Rip Rocket and Hulk coasters so no phones, coins, or metal objects allowed.  (Back when Dragon Challenge was in operation several were hit with coins and the park settled several lawsuits.). Could Cedar Fair be considering the same of putting metal detectors at coaster entrances to reduce their liability of someone getting struck with an object).

It wouldn’t be a bad idea, at Mystic Timbers, for instance, at least 20% of the people entering the queue are unaware of the rule. If the greeter is unable to catch them, then they make it to the ride platform where they are forced to exit, which makes them very unhappy and slows operations down at the same time.

I just don't get the need to film.  There dozens of quality, well done POV videos on youtube of each and every ride!  Why waste the time and effort, as well as being a jerk and disregarding rules?

And smoking.  Just do it where you're supposed to.  It's 2017.  Come on.  And littering...seriously how lazy do you have to be?  Trash cans are everywhere.  So many little decisions make you less of a person when you make choices like this.  To quote the great Jordan Peterson:

“There’s plenty of darkness in the world.  To the degree that people don’t illuminate that darkness with their ability.  Then the darkness is greater than it should be.  People are making a choice towards tilting the world towards heaven or hell with every small decision they make, and with every word they utter.  And it is of consequence.  It may be small, but small is all we have, and it means a lot.”

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

I just don't get the need to film.  There dozens of quality, well done POV videos on youtube of each and every ride!  Why waste the time and effort, as well as being a jerk and disregarding rules?

And smoking.  Just do it where you're supposed to.  It's 2017.  Come on.  And littering...seriously how lazy do you have to be?  Trash cans are everywhere.  So many little decisions make you less of a person when you make choices like this.  To quote the great Jordan Peterson:

“There’s plenty of darkness in the world.  To the degree that people don’t illuminate that darkness with their ability.  Then the darkness is greater than it should be.  People are making a choice towards tilting the world towards heaven or hell with every small decision they make, and with every word they utter.  And it is of consequence.  It may be small, but small is all we have, and it means a lot.”

But it's 2018! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The only good news about loose items is that they are rarely dangerous to people on the same train.  The items are traveling roughly in the same direction and at the same speed as the train.  This is why objects slowly float away from the train on coasters like Diamondback and it is possible for people to grab items out of the air that people have lost.

The bigger danger is to people on other rides, trains, on the ground, etc.  The other concern is objects thrown at a train from people off the ride.  The problem with Dragon Challenge (Dueling Dragons) was the near miss elements created times where the trains were traveling in opposite directions at high speeds.  Objects would hit the other train at the equivalent of over 100 MPH.  In the most famous case an individual who already was mostly blind in one eye was struck in the other eye and had to have the eye surgically removed leaving him blind.  

Loose objects are never safe and like others have said there is no need to film any coaster in the park.  There are already good high resolution videos available on YouTube which I bet will look better than anything you could film.

I like the new smoking spots, expect when I used the restroom near wind seeker it had a very strong smoke smell.  I am wondering if maybe someone was smoking in the restroom or if it was just because it was downwind of the new spot where the entrance to the Dino’s was located.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, PKIVortex said:

Noticed Vortex had quite a few of it's footings redone, and it appears it also got a new Air Compressor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I noticed the new shiny Air compressor too. Along with a new slab of concrete poured to probably get some equipment under there.

I also saw the gravel road next to the train is now blacktop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

If I recall correctly, Arrow Coasters use an accumulator to keep the brakes closed, which requires the accumulator to stay charged.  Other coaster companies use air pressure to open the brakes.

You are correct.  The brakes are in a "normally off" mode, which is why the trains get chained down or parked on the lift hill at night.

**Please note that, as we have seen in the past, the ladder logic causes the train to stop if the power goes out.  Don't think that if it goes out that all the brakes open up and there's a traffic jam.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

Banshee was making people get lockers for fanny packs this weekend.. My wife uses a slim one, she just covered it up with her jacket.  They will let you wear a hat, but make you take off a fanny pack is dumb

That's always been a rule. You can't wear a fanny pack because it artificially increases the distance between your body and the restraint. If the fanny pack were to come off during the ride, there would be a gap between you and the restraint causing the restraint to not function properly.

It's dumb to disobey safety guidelines by hiding the fact that you are disobeying them. The rules are there to keep you safe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

That's always been a rule. You can't wear a fanny pack because it artificially increases the distance between your body and the restraint. If the fanny pack were to come off during the ride, there would be a gap between you and the restraint causing the restraint to not function properly.

It's dumb to disobey safety guidelines by hiding the fact that you are disobeying them. The rules are there to keep you safe.

And CP does allow waist packs, I assume they are the same thing.   From CP loose article policy. “All loose items not able to be stored in cargo pockets or waist packs must be left in a locker or with a non-rider prior to entering the line.”

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

And CP does allow waist packs, I assume they are the same thing.   From CP loose article policy. “All loose items not able to be stored in cargo pockets or waist packs must be left in a locker or with a non-rider prior to entering the line.”

Cedar Point is a different park with different rides with different restraint systems. KI's policy is that nothing can be between the restraint and the rider. Banshee's specific policy is that fanny packs are prohibited because there is no way to move it out of the way of the restraint.

29 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

I call BS  2 years ago they NEVER said you couldn't wear a fanny pack.  They just want some locker $ and my wife having her fanny pack that is SUPER SLIM isn't going to change safety factors.    

They might as well tell me to take my smokes out my pocket, or wallet out my pocket and car key, because they are thicker then her fanny pack

27 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

Cedar Point is a different park with different rides with different restraint systems. KI's policy is that nothing can be between the restraint and the rider. Banshee's specific policy is that fanny packs are prohibited because there is no way to move it out of the way of the restraint.

That’s funny.  

1 hour ago, LuvingKI said:

I call BS  2 years ago they NEVER said you couldn't wear a fanny pack.  They just want some locker $ and my wife having her fanny pack that is SUPER SLIM isn't going to change safety factors.    

They might as well tell me to take my smokes out my pocket, or wallet out my pocket and car key, because they are thicker then her fanny pack

They certainly did. I would know seeing that I worked there lol.

23 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

They certainly did. I would know seeing that I worked there lol.

I can tell you that my wife has rode Banshee over a 100 times with fanny pack showing and not once been asked to remove it.

I don't even know if you can call it a fanny pack.. It's a slim version

5 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

Noticed Vortex had quite a few of it's footings redone, and it appears it also got a new Air Compressor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe the new footers will stop The Vortex is sinking rumors, or it may bring new life to the rumor lol!

• Haha 2