Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

On 4/29/2018 at 10:39 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

@MDMC01 pointed out to me today some new things are happening in Snoopy's Barnyard in preparation for this year's petting zoo.

I'm pretty excited about this structure where the pond was last year, it seems to me it is tailor-made as a playground for baby goats:

IMG_8694.JPG

its a little hard to tell, but that bridge goes from a corral on the left over to a small platform suspended from chains that I imagine goats using as a swing.

Over on the other side, beyond the exit path, there was this construction that I was unable to decipher

IMG_8691.JPGIMG_8692.JPG

I saw all this last week as well and wondered if I had lost my mind or if it was new! These shots are better than the view I was able to get. I noticed it all first when I was riding Flying Ace. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

I'll be there! Working all day!

Oh and I am pretty sure that we met you last year and didn't realize it. My son was riding Vortex for the first time and was scared to death and I distinctly remember a female ride op that was talking to him about it being her favorite ride. lol  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KImom said:

Oh and I am pretty sure that we met you last year and didn't realize it. My son was riding Vortex for the first time and was scared to death and I distinctly remember a female ride op that was talking to him about it being her favorite ride. lol  

That could have been me! But I also have crew mates who call Vortex their favorite ride too, so it may have been either of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened to be me though because I vocalize the most about Vortex being my favorite ride.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

If anyone is going to the Park this Sunday  5/6/18. See anyone there?

Yep! I'll be there catchin' Pokemon, riding rides, and watching the Harlem Globetrotters do their thing (also Real Live Humans!)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Like I said I hope it won't get that busy on a Sunday while school is still in.

If you get there when the park first opens, it will be really nice!!! We were there Sunday before last and it felt like we were the only ones there for about 2 hours. It did start to get crowded later but nothing by comparison to normal Sundays after school is out. Have fun! If I end up taking my crew on Sunday, I'll be the one with two young boys and a toddler girl in a stroller who will probably be trying to get out of said stroller. Hard to miss. hahaha! 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2018 at 8:48 PM, LuvingKI said:

Is anyone looking forward to the Harlem Globtrotters this coming weekend? I've never seen them live, it seems like it would be cool to watch

I wanted to go Sunday but hubby is working so we are coming Sat, I'm prepared for it to be super busy but that's ok, still better than being home. We are still recovering from our 5 hour drive to Cedar Point Tues. I know this is a KI board but omg ive never ridden anything like steel vengeance, it was worth the long car ride to and from.

• Like 7

Had a nice few-hour visit at the park tonight; got a 3 Night Rides in a Row on Firehawk as lines were short. Also rode Backlot, Drop Tower, Delirium, Vortex and WindSeeker (but not necessarily in that order...).

Also, you know you're a fan of a specific coaster when a ride op comments that they've seen you there every weekend :lol:

• Like 3

I love the COSI Science and Explosions show that comes every year during Education Days. They've managed to make the explosion at the end even more exciting:

IMG_8866.JPG

I was planning to hold down the button to take a series of pics, but I was wrong about how quickly it was going to happen and hadn't started yet. I still managed to get a fairly perfect pic because I jumped and hit the button when it startled me :)

If you happen to be in the park on an Education Day, be sure to check out this show! It's fun and you may even learn something

• Like 3

When I went to the park on a May weekday a few years ago, every ride was open and running. Some food places were closed, but I rode all the large coasters- Drop Tower and WindSeeker were both closed due to high winds, but that was it. And I can't think I have seen a trip report where say, Vortex was closed because there was no staff to run it. I know Cedar Point has had this issue the last few years, with major roller coasters not opening on some days, but I don't think I have ever seen it at Kings Island to be honest.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Quirkster said:

I asked earlier not all rides might not operate in May. Anyone know which ones might be missed out on right now?

When the park is short-staffed, rides are the number one priority. They will move staff from other departments to rides to ensure everything can operate. For weekdays in May, you can expect to see a number of merchandise shops and food locations closed, but I would be surprised to see a ride closed due to lack of staffing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

When the park is short-staffed, rides are the number one priority. They will move staff from other departments to rides to ensure everything can operate. For weekdays in May, you can expect to see a number of merchandise shops and food locations closed, but I would be surprised to see a ride closed due to lack of staffing.

That sounds perfectly fine. I guess it seems KI has it's staffing problems too like CP (which is not having a good opening day).

• Like 2

We held off going today, we were there yesterday and of course right when we got buckled in on Banshee it started pouring, really don't care about being wet but first time riding in the rain in shorts, omg never again. We are planning on going tomorrow, it rained all day here in Kentucky and we decided to be lazy.

• Like 1