Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

8 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Something happened early in the season last year for sure. I started the day out with 1, then it multiplied to 4 by the end of the day. After a few drink refills they would say you have 2, then the next time 3, then stopped at 4. I wondered if it was something the cashier was doing when I got a drink which made it multiply. After that visit last season they would ask me if I wanted to use my other refills too,  so they never disappeared.

Plus revenue is revenue.  They can claim that CF entertained 50 million guests in a year and it would be irrelevant unless the needle of net profit is moved.

Attendance, per capita, investments, etc are all just ways to pat themselves on the back (all companies do it).  

The only sway from this is that they typically justify their next year predictions with future investments.  I guarantee that you'll see a press release in January saying that they expect "yet another record year" and list the major investments as why.  

That is interesting Brad becuase when that happened to me last year one cashier said I had three, then another said I didn’t have any.  (The family had three as both boys have the drink plan on their passes as well) Fortunately I assured them I did and I guess I look honest because they gave me cups anyway.  I think the boys passes scanned fine.  Did not have an issue the rest of the year so I just assumed the glitch was fixed.  

6 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Yesterday was a great time for my friend and I. (He apparently hadn't been to KI prior to yesterday). One thing that I noticed though, for some odd reason, Firehawk made me sick. I've been riding coasters and rides since I was very little and have never had any form of motion sickness from a ride ever, but when we rode Firehawk, I started feeling nausea coming on, and it hung with me for the rest of the day. Am I alone on this one, or is there anyone else that can ride anything, but gets sick from Firehawk?  

I rode Firehawk once in my life back in 2010. And it made me feel awful. Never been on it again since.

Finally rode Invertigo this summer. Made me a bit woozy but not to the point that I would never ride it again. But I'm in no hurry either lol.

33 minutes ago, DMann1979 said:

I rode Firehawk once in my life back in 2010. And it made me feel awful. Never been on it again since.

Finally rode Invertigo this summer. Made me a bit woozy but not to the point that I would never ride it again. But I'm in no hurry either lol.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I don't know if it's the position you're in, or the way the ride moves, but man, that thing tore me up yesterday. Made the rest of my day a little less than fun. Everything I rode after that just made it a little worse. (of course I'm that guy though, I drove all the way here, I'm riding what I want to ride, miserable or not!!)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JubJester said:

@King Ding Dong I'm reporting that the Coca-Cola Refresh Station by the train is indeed closed. You're not missing it.

Weird story about that from yesterday. About a quarter till 11, I was walking clockwise through the park and noticed Potato Works was open (which is a little earlier than I expected) and the Freestyles in the train station were as well! That's the first I've seen it open since very early in the season. 

I decided I should ride Diamondback before I got lunch, then walked back. I took advantage of the Freestyle being open before getting my food at Potato Works. It took maybe ten minutes to get through the line and get my food. When I walked back toward the front again with my food (I typically like to eat out in my truck in the parking lot) the Freestyle location was closed and was every time I went by for the rest of the day. 

I had noticed as I was finishing up getting my drink that the phone in the back rang and the man working the register went to answer it. I assume that was the call telling him to shut back down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That drives me absolutely batty that it is closed so much. My favorite part of the park is Rivertown and I always seem to be there when I need a drink k so I have to settle on diet Coke by Diamondback. I have noticed a couple times that jukebox wasn't too busy like earlier in the season where the line was out the Midway. 

As for Firehawk, I thought it was me being a wimp. I have a friend that is at six flags over Georgia right now and she rode Superman last night, she said it's not nearly as bad as Firehawk, I would be curious to try. My days if riding Firehawk are over!

Some observations from my 6/26 visit:

1.  It looks to me like Vortex got a new compressor.  

2.  The landscaping crew has taken it up a level this year.  The park is really beautiful.

3.  Most effects were working on Adventure Express except the wind sounds in the tunnels and the lava light was not on.  I really like the swords being back on and the creaking noises on the lift hill.

4.  FOF:  the aluminum siding on one corner is till flapping in the breeze.

5.  The Beast is running rougher this year.

6.  Banshee is rattling pretty bad.

7.  Even with remodels, the restrooms still smell.  I think it is a combination on no automatic flushes on the urinals and a lack of air circulation.

8.  Cirque Gravity is incredible.

9.  Food service is much improved over previous years.  Generally quick and the employees are friendly.

10.  Diamondback was running great.

• Like 4

Re: Firehawk; I love that ride, but the last time I rode, my neck/lungs felt really tight in the vertical loop. I attributed it not just to the forces, but the heat as it was really hot that day (this was 2 Saturdays ago)*. Also, my legs sometimes hurt from the part after the barrel rolls until the brake run as I'm in the flying position for a good while.

*Also, even though I do have a lung condition, this hadn't happened before except for the times when I rode that day (IIRC). I'll be more careful next time :P

On a lighter note, SpiritSong was amazing! I was at the park Saturday and was given a ticket by a local Christian Radio Station (star 93.3). The opening band, Trala, was a girl rock group that was started by former solo artist Moriah Peters. They weren't too bad and I got my picture and talked with them at their meet and greet a few hours later. Comedian John Crist was up next and though he was funny, he had a few jokes that kinda crossed the line, especially for a Christian comedian. I left when Zach Williams took the stage, but returned for Crowder. Their set was great and one of the drummers, Todd, looked very, very familiar (I don't know him personally, but he looked similar to someone I used to know). The cool thing is, even though (David) Crowder and the band didn't come out for a meet and greet, the merch guy told Todd I said hi per my request. For King and Country closed the night and they were great. I was so happy that they had "made it" to SpiritSong as I had roadied for them when they were a much smaller band.

• Like 6

On 6/25/2018 at 5:38 PM, King Ding Dong said:

That subject has come up before and at least policy wise you can’t have more than one meal plan per pass.  But we all know that several people have reported up to three drink plans have mistakenly been on some people’s pass likely due to a software glitch.  But I think it would be good policy if at a mimimum a parent can get gets the child’s meal while someone else corrals them at a table.  I personally have never been questioned when getting my kid’s food, but I am starting to switch them over to handling it all themselves.  

No, there can only one valid drink plan per pass, and regardless of which one the associate chooses the system automatically uses the product that's valid.  The "duplicate" ones seem to have to do with the option they have the first couple times they get a drink of whether to switch from paper cup to plastic cup or vice versa. 

6 minutes ago, CedarPointer said:

No, there can only one valid drink plan per pass, and regardless of which one the associate chooses the system automatically uses the product that's valid.  The "duplicate" ones seem to have to do with the option they have the first couple times they get a drink of whether to switch from paper cup to plastic cup or vice versa. 

First time it has happened this season but around 8:30 at Panda tonight the cashier said I had two drink plans and asked if I wanted both right now.  Lol.   Beleive me between KI and CP I have already used the drink plan at least 75 times this season.  At least 15-20 today by the time we got to Panda.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

First time it has happened this season but around 8:30 at Panda tonight the cashier said I had two drink plans and asked if I wanted both right now.  Lol.   Beleive me between KI and CP I have already used the drink plan at least 75 times this season.  At least 15-20 today by the time we got to Panda.  

Because they don't know what they're talking about because the training KI gives sucks.  I'll take my personal experience with how CF's ticketing system works over what a teenage cashier at a third-party operated restaurant said.

14 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I've never had that happen to me, every other visit I have at least 2 encounters where I'm told I don't even have a drink plan and have to argue

It cannot be just one teenage kid that didn't know what they were talking about because from Labor Day til closing day if Winterfest my husband had 5 drink plans and I had 2. I had numerous cashier's even show us the screen that showed what they were looking at. It can happen, as to why that answer I would like to know.

I was riding Banshee today with 2 friends and had an unexpected experience. When the employees came to check our restraints, the guy on the right side checking my friends decided it be best to start giving "Fun facts" about the holocaust to them. The girl checking my restraint on my side looked kinda horrified/angry that he did it, and as she walked back to her post i could hear her telling another employee he was doing it frequently. Once the train got back to the station he was gone, and a large group of employees had gathered around the ride exit.

Didn't catch a name since he was on the other side of the train, but i'm a bit shocked either way. 

“Fun facts” and holocaust should not be used in the same sentence.  (But I just did)

That kind of sounds like what someone on the autism spectrum would do, not trying to be preachy or anything just a subject they are interested in and learning about and thinks the whole world is as interested as they are.  Ryan does stuff like that all to frequently,  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

“Fun facts” and holocaust should not be used in the same sentence.  (But I just did)

That kind of sounds like what someone on the autism spectrum would do, not trying to be preachy or anything just a subject they are interested in and learning about and thinks the whole world is as interested as they are.  Ryan does stuff like that all to frequently,  

My son has asperger's and is the same way, he doesn't understand people aren't thinking the way he is and by looking at him, you wouldn't know he has it

• Like 2

Hello everyone. I sort of disappeared from these forums for a couple months by accident. Part of that was because I graduated from College. W00T W00T! The other part was I have become lost with Facebook and Instagram lately. Not to be off-topic, but facebook has become boring lately, just my opinion. Anyway, has there been any land clearing this year in hopes of a new coaster where Dinosaurs Alive used to be? I'm behind on this topic severely.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:13 PM, LuvingKI said:

My son has asperger's and is the same way, he doesn't understand people aren't thinking the way he is and by looking at him, you wouldn't know he has it

I'm autistic myself and would probably do the same thing with one of my favourite interests if I was with a good friend or someone who'd let me do it, albeit my interests don't tend to be as historically based.

• Like 3

Yesterday was a pretty nice day all things considered. I work in Englewood, north of Dayton, and headed down after work at 3pm, hit the storm on I-75 between Franklin and just before Route 63. But that meant that aside from a few sprinkles weather was clear if cloudy at the park. Spent 5 hours and was a great way to unwind after work. These are the reasons I have a Gold Pass.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

• Like 4