Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

^ You do a great job and I was on Vortex tonight when you were driving.

As far as the cell phone issue one of the things I have wondered is if you are allowed to ask the guest to show you the pictures or videos on their phone (I figure the answer is no.).  It is easy for them to deny it without having to show proof.  If they are not guilty then they shouldn't get defensive when you ask.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 10:29 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

As far as the cell phone issue one of the things I have wondered is if you are allowed to ask the guest to show you the pictures or videos on their phone (I figure the answer is no.).  

Yes, we absolutely are allowed to tell them to show us their camera roll and tell them to delete any on ride videos or photos they have. Unfortunately most people who video now a days do it via snapchat, so there is no deleting it to enforce a consequence of breaking the rules. But I definitely made a preteen delete not only 3 videos taken on our ride, but also videos taken on two other coasters earlier in the day once. 

• Like 5

KI has just gone to far in what they now classify as a “loose article”.   A men’s wedding band?  Seriously?

Was refused entrance to Tropical Plunge at SC yesterday becuase of my very simple plain ring.  What married male in the US does not wear one?  Have never had a problem before including several visits this season.   I asked to speak to the ride supervisor and she explained that the policy is new this year and applies to this slide only and a ring could catch on a “divot” if a rider uncrossed their arms.  I looked at the signage at the entrance and all jewelry is now classified as a “loose article”.  

So just take it off you say?   Well like many men who marry excellent cooks we tend to put on a few pounds after tying the knot and there is no way that ring is coming off my finger unless it is cut off.  It has probably been 15 years since it has been off my finger and that was with the assistance of soap. 

So I accepted my fate without yelling or being a jerk about it but was pretty annoyed so I went in the wave pool to cool off and stew about it.  I got to thinking about it being an issue 10 years or so ago when I had some surgery and the nurse wanted me to remove it.  I told her she was welcome to try and she just ended up tapping it up with some medical tape.  So I went to First Aid and got a 10” strip of tape and wrapped it up, showed the ride supervisor and she was fine with that.  Something they should probably suggest to guests rather than just turn them away, maybe even have a role at the line separator position. 

I still think banning wedding bands is over the top especially when KI appears to do so little about cell phones out on rides.  

Am I all wet and everyone else thinks to remove their wedding rings before going to the water park?

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

The wedding ring rule seems silly to me for sure. I have no idea, but I wonder if maybe there was an incident on a similar ride somewhere? At which point the park's insurance company gets involved and demands the new rule?  Who knows?

Edited by bjcolglazier
I doubt they implemented the rule simply to tick people off though. There has to be some reason.
  • Like 2

@JubJester That’s what it sounded like she said.   I am hoping the term has a meaning outside of golf otherwise there’s some shenanigans going on after hours.  :D   Maybe it was “rivet” ?  

With all the different kinds of body piercings I could see there being a some problems   particularly the studs I have seen in small of some women’s backs.  (Ouch)   I can also see that a women’s diamond ring could theoretically cause some damage to the slide but from my understanding the facets on diamond rings are not such that they can really cut anything.  It’s just interesting that the rule only applies to that one slide.

Regarding shirts, I have also had some issues at KI regarding that but spoke to a supervisor last year and they assured me that a synthetic swimware shirt is allowed though you may have to tuck it into your trunks.  Some ops have tried to tell us to take them off and I politely inform them I have discussed to issue with management and if they would like to call their supervisor up to discuss it further I am willing to wait.   They immediately back down.  :lol:   Even had that issue with another women standing next to me once in a long sleeved surfer style suit.  The op asked her to take it off and she was like, “This is my suit, I don’t think you really want me to do that”.  Lol.   

One reason I was particularly annoyed that day was Kiefer has always been scared of the drop slides and had decided that that day he was going to be brave and try it so I was going to do it with him.   We had already waited in line so I wasn’t going to make him leave.   

I am going to contact the Aquatics Director regarding regarding eyewear as well.   Ryan can’t see squat without glasses and has optical swim goggles that they always make him take off on slides.   However that day he wore his athletic goggles with a strap that he also wears on the dry side and no one said squat about those.  Doesn’t make sense at all to me.  The only functional difference between the two is the athletic googles do not create a seal around the eye.  Confused.  

@chuck norris I don’t follow how that explains it is only enforced on some slides.

• Like 2

I was told two years ago that only certain shirts (they said my "technical" shirt was OK) could be worn on slides.  Also, not to be graphic, but just as a heads up, a ring can be really dangerous.  Had a friend years ago go for a dunk playing BB, his ring got caught, and I'll let you figure out the rest....

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 9:55 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Would the people who live close the the park not be immune to the park noises? Calling on @XGatorHead 8904

Should the people who decide to live close to the park not expect the park to be running coasters at any time of the day? 

Being one exit south from the park, the only noise I hear is the sound of the fireworks going off at 10:00 every night.  My family and I enjoy it.  But I would expect that if I moved next to an amusement park that's been there for over 40 years, then yes, there would be noise any time.

• Like 3

I am not sure there are any big areas of people that live close enough to really get the noise. It is a big plot of land, with a lot of trees. At best, using the bike trail across the river you on occasion hear the train, but that is about it.

I don't live in exactly the surrounding area, I'm just on the other side of Mason-Montgomery little over 4 miles away. All I hear is the fireworks.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

I was told two years ago that only certain shirts (they said my "technical" shirt was OK) could be worn on slides.  Also, not to be graphic, but just as a heads up, a ring can be really dangerous.  Had a friend years ago go for a dunk playing BB, his ring got caught, and I'll let you figure out the rest....

I think that says more about basketball than wedding rings. 

-KDD who hates basketballs.    :D

• Like 4

There is going to be a free behind-the-scenes opportunity on Racer for National Roller Coaster Day (August 16). You must sign up to participate. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2018/august/sign-up-for-the-national-roller-coaster-day-kings-island-blog-meet-up

The Racer tour at this year's Coasterstock was one of the highlights, so if this one takes us into the same areas, I would say it is a definite don't-miss opportunity. 

• Like 4

Sorry for the double posting but it's been a day so I hope it's ok. 

Noticed this new addition to the front of the train station on my last visit. Unfortunately it was not a sign that the Coke Freestyle Station was open...

IMG_9162.JPG

Maybe it's been there longer and I just didn't notice because of the Mystic Timbers portable shop that had been nearby. Now I'm not certain. 

But to squash any rumors that this might be an "expertly concealed" footing for a new Giga that will summit the Eiffel Tower, the concrete base is not permanent, and has a loop on top so it can be lifted and moved. 

• Like 2