Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

45 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Sorry for the double posting but it's been a day so I hope it's ok. 

Noticed this new addition to the front of the train station on my last visit. Unfortunately it was not a sign that the Coke Freestyle Station was open...

IMG_9162.JPG

Maybe it's been there longer and I just didn't notice because of the Mystic Timbers portable shop that had been nearby. Now I'm not certain. 

But to squash any rumors that this might be an "expertly concealed" footing for a new Giga that will summit the Eiffel Tower, the concrete base is not permanent, and has a loop on top so it can be lifted and moved. 

It was used for the associate party this past Tuesday. I’m not sure why it hasn’t been moved.

• Like 2

Finally made it to the park on Saturday for the first time this season.  Anybody know why there were so many rides closed?  Staffing issues or malfunctions maybe?  Rides not operating were Surf Dog, Viking Fury, Dodgems, Wind Seeker, White Water Canyon (though they did open it once it got dark), Congo Falls (Had been operating earlier before we got to that side of the park), and I feel like there was one more but I cant think of what that would be right now.  

On 8/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, King Ding Dong said:

KI has just gone to far in what they now classify as a “loose article”.   A men’s wedding band?  Seriously?

Was refused entrance to Tropical Plunge at SC yesterday becuase of my very simple plain ring.  What married male in the US does not wear one?  Have never had a problem before including several visits this season.   I asked to speak to the ride supervisor and she explained that the policy is new this year and applies to this slide only and a ring could catch on a “divot” if a rider uncrossed their arms.  I looked at the signage at the entrance and all jewelry is now classified as a “loose article”.  

So just take it off you say?   Well like many men who marry excellent cooks we tend to put on a few pounds after tying the knot and there is no way that ring is coming off my finger unless it is cut off.  It has probably been 15 years since it has been off my finger and that was with the assistance of soap. 

So I accepted my fate without yelling or being a jerk about it but was pretty annoyed so I went in the wave pool to cool off and stew about it.  I got to thinking about it being an issue 10 years or so ago when I had some surgery and the nurse wanted me to remove it.  I told her she was welcome to try and she just ended up tapping it up with some medical tape.  So I went to First Aid and got a 10” strip of tape and wrapped it up, showed the ride supervisor and she was fine with that.  Something they should probably suggest to guests rather than just turn them away, maybe even have a role at the line separator position. 

I still think banning wedding bands is over the top especially when KI appears to do so little about cell phones out on rides.  

Am I all wet and everyone else thinks to remove their wedding rings before going to the water park?

B93AE31B-6EA9-401F-8630-EB90A3CF23D6.jpeg

• Like 2

I think the difference is that you are always welcome to personally accept risk, but it would be unreasonable to ask the park to also join you in taking on that unnecessary risk. Even if you weren't the kind to sue after you were injured due to a freak accident- the park has to balance the potential for negative publicity and traumatized onlookers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Freak accidents happen.  How many incidents like this occur each year, you only cited one?  Several die each year from the brain eating amoeba, I still get in the water, lakes included.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

Yes, but when "freak accidents" happen, places that value safety evaluate the situation and will do what needs to be done in order to help prevent it from happening again.  You can be sure that KI's loose article policies and other safety policies such as the no jewelry or bathing suits with rivets on water slides is there for a good reason....they are trying to minimize the risk, and you should be grateful because if they didn't care there would be way more "freak accidents" happening at KI.

13 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Do they send the gold pass in the mail or do I pick it up at the park?  

Another question,  I was thinking about getting preferred parking added but didn't,  now I wished that I did!  Can I still add it for both this year and next year?  Thanks lol. 

Take the voucher you (hopefully) printed to Season Pass Processing to get get your pass.   I don’t think there is an all Season preferred parking option. I think you can upgrade on a per visit basis for $10

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Take the voucher you (hopefully) printed to Season Pass Processing to get get your pass.   I don’t think there is an all Season preferred parking option. I think you can upgrade on a per visit basis for $10

Yes I printed it.  I must have misread it about the all Season preferred parking option, I don't see it either as an option now.  Thanks 

B)