Kings Island 2018 Discussion Thread

JubJester

48 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I can tell you that my wife has rode Banshee over a 100 times with fanny pack showing and not once been asked to remove it.

I don't even know if you can call it a fanny pack.. It's a slim version

And many people speed everyday and don't get pulled over.  I am sure you will not get out of a ticket by telling the officer "I have sped on this route to KI over a 100 times and not once got pulled over so I assumed it was ok".

Not picking on you, but just like laws, at different times and with different personnel, different policies are enforced or concentrated on more than others.  Doesn't make any of the policies less important.  I suspect that they probably had one too many people get past the front attendant this season with a bag or drink cup or something so they were instructed to police the no loose article policy a little more stringent.

• Like 1

I once saw someone get past the initial "GateKeeper" of Banshee with an entire string backpack full of stuff underneath his t-shirt. Fortunately the ride ops saw him standing in line with his shirt sticking out unnaturally in the back, and sent him back down to get a locker or leave it elsewhere. 

With something that isn't obtrusive, like a slim waist pack, some operators may have missed it, others may have judged it not enough of a problem. But, it is still against the rules, so don't get too angry at the ones enforcing it. If you really think it is unfair, stop by guest services and lodge a complaint there. It will be seen by someone who would actually have the ability to change the policy if they feel it is warranted. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And many people speed everyday and don't get pulled over.  I am sure you will not get out of a ticket by telling the officer "I have sped on this route to KI over a 100 times and not once got pulled over so I assumed it was ok".

Not picking on you, but just like laws, at different times and with different personnel, different policies are enforced or concentrated on more than others.  Doesn't make any of the policies less important.  I suspect that they probably had one too many people get past the front attendant this season with a bag or drink cup or something so they were instructed to police the no loose article policy a little more stringent.

My point is it's like a wallet, its slim, no reason whatsoever for it to be removed besides getting $ for locker fees... and why wouldn't flying ace say the same?? My wife and 5 year old daughter both wear them and they don't say nothing

Your right, I go 5 over the speed limit every day,  some laws are meant to be bent, this is definitely one of them.  I'm not paying for lockers when have almost reached the 3k mark on $ spent on passes when there is no safety issue with it

Again my pack of smokes stick out father in my pocket then her little Fanny pack.. what's next people with guts can't ride?  

My point is it's like a wallet, its slim, no reason whatsoever for it to be removed besides getting $ for locker fees... and why wouldn't flying ace say the same?? My wife and 5 year old daughter both wear them and they don't say nothing
Your right, I go 5 over the speed limit every day,  some laws are meant to be bent, this is definitely one of them.  I'm not paying for lockers when have almost reached the 3k mark on $ spent on passes when there is no safety issue with it

No law is “meant” to be bent. Same with park rules. They are in place for a reason not just because someone wanted to make them up. As for why Flying Ace is different, they are two drastically different rides, from two different manufacturers. They don’t share anything in common except for the fact that they are inverted. Plus it doesn’t have the capacity requirements that Banshee needs to meet every hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Bansheeback said:

No law is “meant” to be bent. Same with park rules. They are in place for a reason not just because someone wanted to make them up. As for why Flying Ace is different, they are two drastically different rides, from two different manufacturers. They don’t share anything in common except for the fact that they are inverted. Plus it doesn’t have the capacity requirements that Banshee needs to meet every hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't convince me that her slim pack is a issue and a safety issue.  Sorry 

1 hour ago, LuvingKI said:

I can tell you that my wife has rode Banshee over a 100 times with fanny pack showing and not once been asked to remove it.

Just because some ride operators aren't enforcing the policy doesn't mean it isn't still the policy. Ride supervisory teams change every year. Perhaps this year's team is focusing on improving such consistency issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoadAndGo said:

They certainly did. I would know seeing that I worked there lol.

15 minutes ago, LoadAndGo said:

Just because some ride operators aren't enforcing the policy doesn't mean it isn't still the policy. Ride supervisory teams change every year. Perhaps this year's team is focusing on improving such consistency issues.

Wonderful

While on the talk of fanny packs, I'm just glad that Mystic Timbers allows them as long as they are out of the way of the lap bar. I actually was able to ride Banshee with my fanny pack on its Media Day, presumably before they decided to not allow them. I don't mind that Banshee doesn't allow them; I just end up riding it only during the occasional times that I go extra-light and carry the few things I actually need in my snap pockets so I can ride Banshee and Firehawk without having to buy a locker. Though, $2 isn't bad to rent a locker for two hours.

On the topic of Vortex, yes, it has a new air compressor, which should help a lot this summer. I just waited until others began to notice. :) I didn't notice if any footings were redone though. I'll have to look extra closely next time I'm at work.

• Like 3

While on the talk of fanny packs, I'm just glad that Mystic Timbers allows them as long as they are out of the way of the lap bar. I actually was able to ride Banshee with my fanny pack on its Media Day, presumably before they decided to not allow them. I don't mind that Banshee doesn't allow them; I just end up riding it only during the occasional times that I go extra-light and carry the few things I actually need in my snap pockets so I can ride Banshee and Firehawk without having to buy a locker. Though, $2 isn't bad to rent a locker for two hours.
On the topic of Vortex, yes, it has a new air compressor, which should help a lot this summer. I just waited until others began to notice. I didn't notice if any footings were redone though. I'll have to look extra closely next time I'm at work.
I first noticed the new footings when I ride the front seat of Beast, but they are noticeable from riding Vortex as well. Someone did they they were a cement mixer truck under the ride someone in early March. I'm glad Vortex is still getting some love, now it just needs some paint lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PKIVortex said:

I'm glad Vortex is still getting some love, now it just needs some paint lol.

Amen to that! The trains already get repainted each winter, and the station was repainted last year! I would be surprised if the track/supports still don't get a new coat of paint within the next season or so. It's been almost ten years since the last fresh coat (2009)!

But other than that, I can't complain at all about the TLC that Vortex has already received this season. :D

Fun fact: On our WindSeeker training day, some of us were cleaning the trains on Vortex, and I happened to look upon a small spot on one of the rails at which some of the orange paint had peeled/chipped in such a way that I could see all three paint layers: the original paint from 1987, the first added coat from 2001, and the most recent coat from 2009! That was pretty cool.

• Like 3

I was on the crew in 2001 when it got repainted. It almost didn't get repainted its original colors, they were testing black on a small section of the lift, but they decided to repaint with the blue and orange. The last time time the blue was repainted was in 2001, only the orange rails were painted in 2009.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I finally made it to the part this past Sunday! What a great day to go!!! The weather was cool but not too cold and boy were the lines short! I think I may have seen a few of you all but not sure. ;)  I could definitely tell that a lot of cleanup was done during the off season - the area around the new Coney BBQ looked really nice! I had never even noticed the other covered dining area behind the carousel before, which turned out to be a very nice place to eat. I'm going to leave some other comments on the food discussion thread but all positive so far! Can't wait to make it back again! 

On 4/23/2018 at 7:30 PM, LuvingKI said:

New employees pal, lighten up.  I got stapled on that airtime machine known as The Beast.:huh: