KIC Podcast: Episode 1 - 2017 Year in Review

CoastersRZ

If you wish to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes, you can do so at this link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/kings-island-central-podcast/id1342475078

Show notes:

The inaugural episode of the Kings Island Central Podcast.

Listen as host Robbie Zerhusen (CoastersRZ) is joined by Matthew Middleton (Malem) and Brad Perdue (IndyGuy4KI) discuss the 2017 season at Kings Island.

-Mystic Timbers debuts as a fantastic new wooden coaster at Kings Island.

-Island Smokehouse opens to glowing reviews in Soak City.

-Halloween Haunt and the new scare zone, Dance of the Macabre, debuts under the Eiffel Tower.

-Winterfest returns for a third time, after a 12 year hiatus.  We are all impressed with the amount of lights, entertainment and things to see and do. And look forward to visiting again next year.

• Like 14

Very good first run!

You might want to add a little bit more dimension to the conversation. Some notes:

The review of 2017 was a good idea, but why limit it to Mystic Timbers, Haunt and Winterfest?  A lot went on during the 2017 season, why not hit on things like the Stunt Show or Coasterstock?  A walk down memory lane would have been a little more effective than the current format.  Also, you guys need to challenge each other a little more (Prowler vs DB question was a good example) but bridge what you're talking about into what you liked and what you didn't like about each event.  Also, a discussion about what you would like to see next season would make for good conversation.  Like, would the stunt show come back?  Which parts would you add and which parts would you want to change?  Same for Haunt.

Also, someone made an argument that they wouldn't change anything about Winterfest.  That's a really weak statement for the sake of argument.  You can have a wish list for Winterfest and still think it's an A+ event.  Even if you go to Disney, which is generally accepted as the gold standard in theme parks, you can pick out things that would be fun or neat ideas.  I get that you don't want to make it a podcast of dumping on KI (and no one would want to listen to that anyway) but critiques and constructive criticisms and a deconstruction of what you see is what people want to hear from you.  As the staff of KIC, you guys are generally accepted as the foremost authority on the park.  From a loyal guests' standpoint, you see and experience far more than the average guest, so your opinions are both interesting and valuable.  

Also, I would encourage you to have some semblance of interactivity to each portion of the conversation.  These will give the KICentral Universe a stake in the podcast and our feedback will give you a good economy bullet points for the next podcast.  I'm going to pose these questions for you at the bottom of this post and we can see how it turns out if you want to use it for episode 2.

I want to end on saying that i'm very happy that you guys are doing this.  I knew Brad had a background in this sort of thing, but Matt and Robbie really came out of their shells for this one.  Good work to all 3 of you!

Discussion Questions:

Last season was arguably one of the most exciting seasons to be a Kings Island fan.  What was your favorite memory of 2017 and why?

Would you have changed anything about the 2017 season?

One of the most talked about new things at Kings Island in 2017 was the new food offerings.  Which was your favorite and why?

What was your favorite part of Winterfest?

What is on your wish list for the 2018 version of Winterfest?

• Like 1

I agree we should have touched on the stunt show, it was a big hit for the 2017 season.  We can dive deeper into each other category like food and shows on future episodes.  It is going to take several episodes before getting a good flow. Robbie had all of the mods on the first episode. Robbie is the host and may not include Matt and myself every episode.  Thanks for the suggestions and critiques.

@King Ding Dong  Unfortunately, we are not sitting in a studio with high quality microphones that are processed. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the podcast very much!  As something we've never done before, this was a fantastic start and I'm looking forward to even more in the future.  Just think of all of the amazing topics you could cover!  This is a great way to keep us engaged during the off season and to even somewhat promote KIC.  

PS - Can one apply to be a guest?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, whengodsaysgo said:

I enjoyed the podcast very much!  As something we've never done before, this was a fantastic start and I'm looking forward to even more in the future.  Just think of all of the amazing topics you could cover!  This is a great way to keep us engaged during the off season and to even somewhat promote KIC.  

PS - Can one apply to be a guest?  Asking for a friend.

We will have guest speakers on the podcast (we are hoping to have some special guests for episode 2 and 3).  Not sure yet if we will have people apply to be guests on the show or not.  If they offer some interesting content/perspective, then they might be welcomed on as a guest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

At some point, an episode that covers the ghost stories of the park are a must.

That and the myths, lore, fake/embellished stories etc would be fun, but maybe just an occasional segment, might loose to many people with a whole hour.  

And the one guest you MUST book soon is the Dippin Dots Guy.   :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Really like the podcast! Definitely can’t wait to hear more! However, not a big fan at all of how there is a lack of involvement from the rest of the KICentral community. When this is a community built / based site, it’s somewhat strange that members can’t be a part of the show, but rather only the mods. Just my thoughts, but great work so far.

• Like 3

Really like the podcast! Definitely can’t wait to hear more! However, not a big fan at all of how there is a lack of involvement from the rest of the KICentral community. When this is a community built / based site, it’s somewhat strange that members can’t be a part of the show, but rather only the mods. Just my thoughts, but great work so far.

That’s sort of unfair man. Someone has to be the main host. It’s been one episode. If you want to do one it’s not hard man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

As I have stated, there will be KIC member involvement.  f there is a KIC member that has specific expertise in an area that will be featured in an episode, they will likely be asked to join on the podcast.  And we may have guests on just to provide some color commentary.  I don`t want to be the only one talking for an hour.

Brad and Matthew will likely be on future episodes, but they will not be on every single episode.  I am working on lining up the next podcast topic, and am actually hoping to have another KIC member (and not a moderator) on as a guest.

I am glad that people have been enjoying the podcast so far.

• Like 5

I just listened to the podcast and I thought it was a good overview of the season. And if (when) KIC members can be guests on the podcast, I volunteer as tribute! I could talk about where to Pokemon Go in the park and what's nesting there (this segment could perhaps happen over the summer as we don't want people trespassing during the offseason and weekends). In addition to the above suggestions, a good topic for discussion would be favorite rides or favorite shows and why. Keep up the good work, gentlemen! :D

Also, that Mac and Cheese bar sounded cool; I feel like it was perhaps a test for regular season implementation (Kinda like how Christmas in July could have been a test to see how people might recieve a Winterfest revival).

EDIT: I could also talk about how awesome The Bat is; or maybe there would be segments profiling a specific ride, and a fellow KICer could chime in about said ride (like VortexBFForever could talk about Vortex)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...