The Beast Roughness/jerking

GigaLover

The last couple of years going to Kings Island every time I experience The Beast it’s gotten worse and worse.... it’s beginning to really hurt... don’t get me wrong I am a huge beast fan and don’t think there’s any other coaster experience like it, it’s theming and ride the woods is just perfect.. but now anytime I go to Kings Island it is a one time ride and done because it’s gotten so rough in my opinion. The only spot in the train that it is not rough is the very front seat anywhere else it is rough.. just seeing what everyone thinks of this but in my opinion The Beast has gotten as bad as the Son of Beast... and I’m only 20 years old too and it hurts me pretty bad 

• Like 3

IMHO, The Beast is as smooth at is ever was (at least in my 30+ years of riding it).  The smoothest seats should be in the middle row of each car as they don't sit directly over a wheel.  Its not near as rough as SOB (again in my opinion).  If you are 20, that means you were around 8 or 9 the last time SOB was operational, tough to make that comparison b/w a 9 year old body and a 20 year old body.

At any rate, if you think its too rough, that just 1 less person in line ahead of me :)

• Like 9

It really depends on what time of day you ride it, especially in the summer.  Early in the morning and through the afternoon, especially on a hot day, results in rougher rides, even in the good seats.  Cooler mornings in spring/fall and into the evening/night in summer are the best times to ride it IMO.  Dusk is when it really starts to shine.  

And of course, any precipitation is very welcome.  

• Like 4

The only time I ever feel banged up after riding it is when I sit towards the back of the train. Other than that I usually feel the ride is pretty smooth with some aggressiveness to it but not enough to hurt. Been riding it for about 30 years and would say it actually feels smoother in the last few years than I can ever remember.

• Like 2

I still think it is really rough even my mom who is 47 rode it this past season and she loves roller coasters but it has been a couple years since coming to Kings Island and when she rode The Beast she said it was as rough as it’s ever been and she will not ride it anymore it was that bad and I agreed... now I just don’t know if I am riding at the wrong time every time but its always rough guess I’m not a ride warrior like some people.. I’ve rode it in the morning, afternoon and at night and it was the same roughness every time... now like 2 years I rode it at night during Halloween Haunt and it was super smooth the best ride I’ve ever had on it.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

What about the left seat?

I prefer the middle. It's difficult to get lapbar down though.

The Beast is always going to have that wild side to its ride experience. Like, IndyGuy4KI said, it ran great last season. I never saw it closed or delayed (outside of weather) in my many trips to the park.

If you want a smooth experience sit in the front row or sit towards the front in the middle of a car (you're off the wheel in the middle). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

When I'm in the left seat---which seems to be most often---I am ducking my head and leaning to the right in the double-helix. Pretty sure I would die otherwise...lol. Anyone over 5'9" does this...I think.  ;-)

I'm with you after I got a "Beast bite" on my wrist (not my fingertip) opening day a couple years ago. I had my arms up but crossed at the wrists above my head, and they only jostled a bit toward the side going into the helix. I mean, logically, I KNOW I'm not going to hit my head, but the inclination to cower behind the headrest in front of me is very strong when I sit on the left these days. 

Sometimes I look at the small scar on my hand and marvel at the six inches or so farther my full reach goes from where I contacted the board, even though I'm only 5'8". I'm honestly surprised there aren't more injuries because most people just throw their arms up in abandon. I almost never did and one of the few times I did I had contact. And I could have contacted even if my arms were six inches shorter.

I still only blame myself though. It did answer a question seeing other people's arms up all these years had raised in my mind. I knew it looked close but I always wondered if it was just an illusion caused by the speed and my sense of self preservation. Nope, it really is that close.

The good thing is that the flat wall of boards before entering the tunnel acts very well at shoving your hands back away if you do contact them, without any serious injury that could be caused by hitting something perpendicular to the direction of travel. 

• Like 6

I think the very back of The Beast is the roughest part but always fun in any seat. Now The Racer on the other hand is almost uncomfortable in the back, with me even saying "glad that's over" when I ride it backseat. The Beast is my favorite next to Banshee and day or night I think it's the best coaster, my favorite anyways! 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I'm with you after I got a "Beast bite" on my wrist (not my fingertip) opening day a couple years ago. I had my arms up but crossed at the wrists above my head, and they only jostled a bit toward the side going into the helix. I mean, logically, I KNOW I'm not going to hit my head, but the inclination to cower behind the headrest in front of me is very strong when I sit on the left these days. 

Sometimes I look at the small scar on my hand and marvel at the six inches or so farther my full reach goes from where I contacted the board, even though I'm only 5'8". I'm honestly surprised there aren't more injuries because most people just throw their arms up in abandon. I almost never did and one of the few times I did I had contact. And I could have contacted even if my arms were six inches shorter.

I still only blame myself though. It did answer a question seeing other people's arms up all these years had raised in my mind. I knew it looked close but I always wondered if it was just an illusion caused by the speed and my sense of self preservation. Nope, it really is that close.

The good thing is that the flat wall of boards before entering the tunnel acts very well at shoving your hands back away if you do contact them, without any serious injury that could be caused by hitting something perpendicular to the direction of travel. 

I always thought it was close but just an illusion like you said, I can't believe it really is within reach...

• Like 3

Magenta, thank you for sharing that story!  That's crazy, but glad you were okay.  Most of the ride the railings off to the left and right are easily reachable for me, and the helix absolutely could do some damage. It is a small miracle there aren't more injuries.  Apparently people are paying attention to the multiple warnings on the lift hill to the helix ("DO NOT STAND UP - keep hands inside car") that are for genuine safety, and not some scary theme effect.

• Like 3

The Beast is a ride that requires a little core strength to not feel so rough. I've found on Beast that if I hold my core nice and tight, I don't feel so beaten and battered by it. Hold yourself fairly rigid in your seat so that your spine isn't getting whipped to and fro, and you'll enjoy it more. It's a hell of a workout though!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lifetimecoaster said:

The Beast is a ride that requires a little core strength to not feel so rough. I've found on Beast that if I hold my core nice and tight, I don't feel so beaten and battered by it. Hold yourself fairly rigid in your seat so that your spine isn't getting whipped to and fro, and you'll enjoy it more. It's a hell of a workout though!! 

In my experience, do not do that. I really hurt my back (as a teenager) trying to ride it like that. I've found it's much less painful when you use your arms to brace yourself, but not your spine and core.

Moral of the story: choose whichever riding style will work for you, because you know your body better than anyone can.

• Like 6

On 2/5/2018 at 10:46 PM, bjcolglazier said:

When I'm in the left seat---which seems to be most often---I am ducking my head and leaning to the right in the double-helix. Pretty sure I would die otherwise...lol. Anyone over 5'9" does this...I think.  ;-)

I'm 5'6" and I do it too, because I know @Magenta Lizard's story and don't want to be featured in Part II. :P

• Like 6

I used to go in the mid to late 80s and nothing was too hard (young and bulletproof).  When we started back in late 2014, I thought it was rough all the way through 2016.  2017, for whatever reason, seems to be better.  I have learned to sit towards the front and not over the wheels (thanks @MDMC01 for the advice).  I went from 1 a day to up to 3 a day.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mayaman2 said:

In my experience, do not do that. I really hurt my back (as a teenager) trying to ride it like that. I've found it's much less painful when you use your arms to brace yourself, but not your spine and core.

Moral of the story: choose whichever riding style will work for you, because you know your body better than anyone can.

That would be a bad idea, if anything your body should be loose and relaxed don't brace cause it will make it worse on you.

• Like 5