The Beast Roughness/jerking

GigaLover

They should have someone at the entrance to let first timers know the proper riding technique. This thing is painful, rough, uncomfortable and requires a little core strength so that your spine isn't getting whipped.:lol: Things must have changed here as you would have set off the red alert at the park and you would have been banned from the site for saying that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I have no issues with The Beast and still LOVE to ride this.  Every time I ride I think how historic and important of a ride it is and head up that lift hill with a feeling of reverence. 

Not unlike The Racer, but Racer on the other hand, IMHO, has gotten really bad.  It beats me up badly and even my kids don't like riding it.  I wonder if the same level of maintenance and care is put into it as The Beast?  Not to get off topic, just wondering...

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mayaman2 said:

In my experience, do not do that. I really hurt my back (as a teenager) trying to ride it like that. I've found it's much less painful when you use your arms to brace yourself, but not your spine and core.

Moral of the story: choose whichever riding style will work for you, because you know your body better than anyone can.

I'll give it a try next time I ride it. For some reason, it's a natural reaction I have when I'm on coasters to tighten myself up to hold my body steady. Maybe this will make me enjoy them even more! I'm usually completely exhausted after a day of riding. 

• Like 3

The front seat is the best seat for any kind of jerkiness or roughness. More explicitly front left for the intensity of the helix is my go to seat on Beast anyways not to mention the several turns are great in that seat. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AZ Kinda Guy said:

Son of Beast rough though? Not by a long shot.

I remember riding Son of Beast during its first year thinking afterward, "Why would anyone want to do that again?!?!"  I never rode it after they changed it up to make it smoother.  

The Beast can be a little rough for me but not too bad. I rode it once last year and had a headache afterwards but nothing that would have deterred me from riding it again. My 8 year old says his head hurts after riding as well, but he still goes back for more. lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

Yes, do not do RMC to The Beast.  It is a classic coaster.  It is no where near as intense as what Storm Chaser or Outlaw Run.

Classic coaster, blah. The Hurler at KD was nowhere near as intense as The Beast and yet it is getting the RMC treatment. 

• Like 1

For woodies like The Beast, I usually sit straight up with my back off the seat back, loosely hold on to the bar in front of me, and lean into the curves, and of course avoid wheel seats if possible. I remember The Beast being pretty bad during the later Paramount years. Current management has been doing a pretty good job taking care of it. I've seen new wood almost every year since like 2009. It'd be nice to see brand new 3 bench PTC trains within the next 5-10 years. Anything to get rid of the headrests and stupid shoulder dividers.

If I would change anything about Beast's layout at all, I would take out the long brake shed, replace it with a drop to the ground, maybe an airtime hill, and a rise back up to the turn before the tunnel, then increase the banking on the turns to compensate for the faster speed. No idea if that's feasible or not. I've never really minded the brake shed. It would just be nice to have 1 or 2 extra moments of airtime there.

• Like 3

I know GCI has done some retracking in the past, but what about a complete overhaul from GCI? Doesn't lose anything from what it was, just a smoother, more enjoyable experience. I wouldn't go as far as putting Millennium Flyers on it, but maybe the new articulating PTC trains.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm a fan of The Beast,  but it's far from my favorite woodie. Voyage at Holiday World takes the cake for me. I love how technology has advanced to make wooden coasters more smooth. Mystic Timbers is a perfect example of this. It's smooth in every seat. I don't think a person should have to pick what time of day & know where to sit on a coaster to have smooth ride. To me The Beast is rough to an extent, but it's nothing my 35 year old body can't handle .

• Like 3

On 2/5/2018 at 12:43 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I thought Beast was running great last season. Beast is not rough in the right seat for me.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:49 PM, King Ding Dong said:

What about the left seat?

@King Ding Dong you made me laugh as he ONLY rides in the left seat. So he has no idea how the right side feels. I'd say it likely feels as good as the left seat but I wouldn't know. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AZ Kinda Guy said:

To the people who make those kind of decisions, it matter zilch. If anything, it makes their decision easier!

I'm pretty sure intensity matters in their discussions. Force is a part of intensity. I'm sure the lack of forces on Mean Streak was one of the main reasons why they RMC'ed it. The Beast is a far better ride than Mean Streak when it comes to that. (That's only one way The Beast was better than Mean Streak)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JubJester said:

I'm pretty sure intensity matters in their discussions. Force is a part of intensity. I'm sure the lack of forces on Mean Streak was one of the main reasons why they RMC'ed it.

Uhm, what? So by that logic, the Mean Streak wasn’t intense? 

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AZ Kinda Guy said:

Classic coaster, blah. The Hurler at KD was nowhere near as intense as The Beast and yet it is getting the RMC treatment. 

For the record, I don't think either is the deciding factor. What IS the deciding factor is ridership. Mean Streak got the RMC treatment because ridership had really fallen. The Beast doesn't seem to share the same problem. I'm guessing (and I could be wrong) that ridership for the Hurler was severely down.

• Like 3

I don't think any single statistic can determine whether or not a ride will get an RMC conversion. It is highly circumstantial and a case-by-case basis. Say "Roller Coaster X" at "Amusement Park X" is rough, has low ridership, and has a good history and place in the park. "Roller Coaster Y" at "Amusement Park Y" is also rough, and has low ridership, but is poorly placed. X may get a conversion, while Y may just get torn down to open up for future expansion. I'm certain that a large factor in deciding to do a conversion is number crunching, but there are many factors beyond just "It's rough and nobody rides it."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AZ Kinda Guy said:

Uhm, what? So by that logic, the Mean Streak wasn’t intense? 

I'm not saying it wasn't intense I'm just saying the intensity between it and The Beast was so far a part.

I agree with @KIBeast , ridership is another factor that plays into the discussion. I'm sure it comes down to the ride experience as well. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

I`d like to know what, in your opinion makes Voyage your favorite?  I have ridden it, and it is a good ride.  But it is a very intense ride, almost to the point of too intense (at least for a re-ride soon after taking it for a spin.  I need some time to recover.

You nailed it!! I love the intensity of Voyage. Voyage also shatters The Beast in airtime. Voyage also has much better laterals, it's really not even compared IMO. Voyage also provides just as good of a night ride if not better than The Beast. Also the Voyage doesn't have a ton of straight track. IMO that's the worst part about The Beast, just way to much long straight sections. Now don't get me wrong, I still love The Beast. It's still a top 5 woodie in my book. But when comparing The Beast & Voyage the only thing I found comparable was they go about the same speed and both provide amazing night rides. Other than that Voyage takes the cake in my book.

• Like 6