SFMM adding another tier to Gold Pass

For an extra monthly amount, patrons will get a 20% food discount, early access, etc.

I’ve always wondered if KI would ever add in a tier between Gold and Platium. (See also Cedar Point’s whatever rollercoaster club)

https://www-ocregister-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.ocregister.com/2018/02/07/six-flags-magic-mountain-changing-early-entry-access-with-new-membership/amp/

• Like 2

The Gold Plus membership seems to be standard at all Six Flags parks now; SFMM had quietly implemented the new memberships when I was there last month. Blake bought one (not having a 2018 pass yet), so he qualified to get in early. Andy & I already had our passes, but we ended up getting the perk because they weren't able to tell what level our SFGAm and SFOG passes were at.

Previously, most pass and membership perks were limited to one's home Six Flags park. I like that benefits are being offered at all parks, though I'm not a fan of the complicated ongoing contract that Six Flags memberships require, so I'm not sure whether I'll upgrade. Memberships are convenient in that they continue without having to be renewed and processed in-person each fall for the Gold upgrade.

With Cedar Fair parks already offering season pass payment plans and automatic renewal, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see at least some parks jump on the monthly membership bandwagon. Predictable revenue every month of the year is an attractive proposition.

• Like 1

I'm more of a Cedar Fair kind of guy than a Six Flags kind of guy, but I would have renewed my gold for this year had I not had to drive to a park to process my pass by a deadline.  For the life of me, I cannot understand why it matters to SIX when I process my pass.  When I buy, they have my money!  FUN wins hands down in this regard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malem said:

The Gold Plus membership seems to be standard at all Six Flags parks now; SFMM had quietly implemented the new memberships when I was there last month. Blake bought one (not having a 2018 pass yet), so he qualified to get in early. Andy & I already had our passes, but we ended up getting the perk because they weren't able to tell what level our SFGAm and SFOG passes were at.

Previously, most pass and membership perks were limited to one's home Six Flags park. I like that benefits are being offered at all parks, though I'm not a fan of the complicated ongoing contract that Six Flags memberships require, so I'm not sure whether I'll upgrade. Memberships are convenient in that they continue without having to be renewed and processed in-person each fall for the Gold upgrade.

With Cedar Fair parks already offering season pass payment plans and automatic renewal, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see at least some parks jump on the monthly membership bandwagon. Predictable revenue every month of the year is an attractive proposition.

I’m not a fan of the membership. I don’t want to pay for my pass when I can’t use it - or at least be forced to do so. The season pass portal was intended to combat that feeling, but it would have to be a more meaningful program that it was last year (is it still a thing?)

The portal was tough to find on the web site and I feel like the discounts offered were weren’t enough to influence any type of purchasing decision. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’m not surprised.

Renewing your pass and making 6 payments is, in my opinion, the only way to go with this.

• Like 1

^^ Currently, a Gold Plus membership over the minimum 12-month term costs less than a 2018 gold pass that expires on December 31, 2018.

A membership can be particularly cost effective if you purchase it before your first visit of the season, then let it continue beyond the minimum term until the end of the following season. If you visit April-October, you're effectively buying 2 seasons of admission for the price of 1.5 seasons.

My only beef with the model is that you're signing a financing agreement to begin a membership, potentially involving debt collection agencies if a guest is in arrears on their membership account. There are also financial penalties if a credit card expires and isn't updated before a grace period runs out. All things being equal, I prefer the simplicity of a single lump-sum payment.

• Like 1

I am on the fence about it as well.   However the benefit of not having to process each year is significant especially if one lives some distance from the park.  The weather went to hell while we were in STL at Christmas so one windy 11F evening my Dad and spent an hour and drove out to scan our finger turn right around and hustle back to the car.   All basically for the benefit of free parking across all parks.  My wife and kids passes do not have that benefit becuase they didn’t come, not that it matters in my circumstance but for some it could.  

If we get pass again next year, and we likely will given the low cost, I will probably switch to the membership for convenience.   There are years we haven’t been able to make it home due to weather or illness and then you can get cornered into the higher late spring/ summer rates.  Not to worried about being able to make the $20 payment each month.  

When comes to CF parks I actually would really prefer a 12 month membership option for budgeting purposes considering fully outfitting a family of 4 with meal/drink plans and fun pix starts pushing $1400.   But I can manage in the 9 or 6 month plan as well.

• Like 3

I would have liked to have seen these new tiers introduced last fall so people could have an option to get one of these new upgrades instead of a season pass. I think the season pass is still less but maybe for 2019 prices won't be as low (I paid $67 for a gold pass last September). 

I agree not having to get to the park to process the pass is good. I didn't like I only had less than 2 months from when I bought the 2018 pass over Labor Day weekend to process the pass in order to get the free gold pass upgrade. 

• Like 1

I think the cost was also higher because Great Adventure charges more than some other Six Flags parks.

The early entry is almost worthless. Every time I used it in past years, it just allowed you to get to a ride entrance early, the rides still didn't open early and half the time at opening, they didn't even have early entry at all.

• Like 2

At least at Six Flags Magic Mountain, regular guests couldn't enter until 10:30am. The perk was valuable since we were in the park at rope drop; others had to wait significantly longer to get through the turnstiles when they finally opened for non-Gold Plus guests. This may be a change in procedure, as turnstiles (at least at SFGAm and SFGAd) opened for all guests prior to park opening.

I'm interested to see what the upgrade offer is for existing members and passholders. As someone without any close Six Flags parks, I really hope it won't require processing at my "home" park.

• Like 1

I did have a membership sometime around 2012-13 I think.   IIRC it sort of locked you into whatever the price was when you purchased it.  At the time it was a couple of dollars more than the lowest SP price.   Of course one could always let it drop at 12 months and then reenrole and not really renew.   That is kind of what I did this year.  I purchased new passes and did not “renew” my SP.  There tends not to be a renew discount like CF has.   A

• Like 1

I would be happy with a Gold Pass/Platinum Pass Club House where I could sit in peace and quiet and enjoy some downtime during the day. Busch had one at SeaWorld and it was such a blessing. You had to show your Pass to an attendant to be “buzzed” in to the lounge. They took our order with table service. It was cool, quiet and a place to unwind.

• Like 4

On 2/8/2018 at 7:51 PM, malem said:

I actually read almost that entire contract. They’re going to charge you attorney fees if your card declines for 2 months. No thanks. Also, I wonder how much of this can actually be enforced if they don’t have your SSN. (Please tell me they don’t have your SSN!!) 

Agaim, if it was a 12 month required membership then I would only pay the lump sum unless I could come into the park and walk around in the winter or whatever for the months that I’m paying for within a park that’s closed a big portion of the year.

• Like 1

^ That agreement is exactly why I have chosen a season pass each year instead of a membership.

Much of the contract is not enforced, but they do use a collection agency when payments lapse for more than the two months. In that case, you would owe the remainder of your payments for the 12 months plus a collection fee. You'd also lose your "security deposit" (~$20) and have your pass cancelled. I don't know whether negative reports are made to credit bureaus in that case.

Six Flags doesn't have your SSN, but a collection agency doesn't need one to add information to one's credit report.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, malem said:

^ That agreement is exactly why I have chosen a season pass each year instead of a membership.

Much of the contract is not enforced, but they do use a collection agency when payments lapse for more than the two months. In that case, you would owe the remainder of your payments for the 12 months plus a collection fee. You'd also lose your "security deposit" (~$20) and have your pass cancelled. I don't know whether negative reports are made to credit bureaus in that case.

Six Flags doesn't have your SSN, but a collection agency doesn't need one to add information to one's credit report.

That is true, but this would be the first time I’ve heard of an instance of even the threat of reporting to a credit agency under these circumstances.

Long story short- it’s a bad and risky deal. Save up your pennies and pay in bulk. Being forced into collections for lapsing on a “membership” that you can’t use for half of the year in most parts of the country is of no benefit to anyone but the company.

• Like 1

Guys I just don’t see it.   We are talking about $58 or so for one pass.  Are you seriously living so close to the edge that there is a risk you can’t keep up with a $5 per month payment? (Or $20 for a family)  And this supposed risk is weighed against at least $100 in fuel round trip cost to the nearest SIX park for processing.  SIX wants your money, they don’t want to send you to collections and just like CF send you plenty of emails if your payment is declined.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...