Park Nitpicks

SonofBaconator

Just thought of a nitpick while reading the KI hiring/employee thread... it seems the last few times I've been to Soak City, the left (blue) side of the slide formally knows as Sidewinder (sorry, I'm not terribly familliar with the new names... it's the tube slide that's blue and light green, next to the four slide body slide complex (formally known as Helix)) has been closed. When I've asked, the answers have been it's down or low staffing (or something to that effect), IIRC. It's always a bummer as I remember that being my favorite of the two slides. However, I do enjoy the other slide too, but it's still sorta frustrating.

On a more positive note, I love thst Soak City has most of its old slides from back in the day- thanks for preserving those, KI!

• Like 5

On 2/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, chugh43 said:

The thing for me is the train....I really wish they would either just play music or not have spieling like was done during WinterFest. 

I don't want to hear someone spouting off facts about the park...I'd rather enjoy the view, listen to the music - if it's a must, and just relax. It's almost obnoxious when you are barely out of the station and you start hearing about Diamondback being the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster at Kings Island. 

This.  It's not just the spieling.  It's the same fact speil all year.  And the same songs all year.  I treat the train as a nice little break from the walking and coaster riding and would love to have been a bit less frantic and loud. 

• Like 6

^ I can relate.  When I worked at KK, I got to hear every day 3 times a day in sequences of 3 so about 9 times.  “Attention land lovers of Hurricane Bay, The Big Kahuna is about to begin! These waves will... Knock you off your feet! If you have children, of whom you’ve grown fond, move to higher ground! Weak swimmers should head for the beach, the Big kahuna is about to begin!”  Of course this was the que for all of the weak swimmers to head for the deepest part of the wave pool to ensure the waves never lasted more than 15-20 seconds.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it was to ease wear and tear on the chain lift motors and chains.  There's a lot of tension that occurs when the train quickly disengages the lift.   Arrows were especially prone to those problems.  B&M just happened to find the right curvature to get just the right acceleration to do away with them (which is why early B&M's have them and the most recent models don't).  

Just look at off ride footage of B&M's falling off the lift and compare it to other coasters of earlier eras and you'll see what I mean.  B&M's don't normally just fly off the lift down the hill.  Its a bit more gradual than a lot of other coasters. 

• Like 5

On 3/2/2018 at 6:53 PM, silver2005 said:

Cedar Point needs to install a giant wall of bug zappers around the entire park during mayfly season. :P 

And perhaps a wind deterring device around its WindSeeker....

But... how would it find its wind it seeks and finds so much?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I believe it was to ease wear and tear on the chain lift motors and chains.  There's a lot of tension that occurs when the train quickly disengages the lift.   Arrows were especially prone to those problems.  B&M just happened to find the right curvature to get just the right acceleration to do away with them (which is why early B&M's have them and the most recent models don't).  

Just look at off ride footage of B&M's falling off the lift and compare it to other coasters of earlier eras and you'll see what I mean.  B&M's don't normally just fly off the lift down the hill.  Its a bit more gradual than a lot of other coasters. 

Very nice!

• Like 1

I have just one really small thing - I'm disabled and use the ride pass. I think its wonderful that they have this program but having to enter thru the exit with riders coming off sometimes is awful. I'm very self conscious of having to do this to begin with and it never fails that some smart mouth kid has to scream "you're going the wrong way". I know there's probably not an easy solution to this issue but it upsets me every time. Trust me I would much rather have to wait in the regular line than have to use a ride pass but its something I have to live with. Also we always have a problem w Drop Tower, I try to explain first thing in the morning when no one is in line that I am handicapped, obviously don't need to use the ride pass cause no one is there, but every time I try to say going thru the regular line is a lot more to walk they always argue with me about it. I've mentioned it twice to guest services but not sure if anything is ever done. Hopefully this year won't be as bad, I've been walking on a treadmill to try to not stay so stiff, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this will help improve me walking thru the park. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

I have just one really small thing - I'm disabled and use the ride pass. I think its wonderful that they have this program but having to enter thru the exit with riders coming off sometimes is awful. I'm very self conscious of having to do this to begin with and it never fails that some smart mouth kid has to scream "you're going the wrong way". I know there's probably not an easy solution to this issue but it upsets me every time. Trust me I would much rather have to wait in the regular line than have to use a ride pass but its something I have to live with. Also we always have a problem w Drop Tower, I try to explain first thing in the morning when no one is in line that I am handicapped, obviously don't need to use the ride pass cause no one is there, but every time I try to say going thru the regular line is a lot more to walk they always argue with me about it. I've mentioned it twice to guest services but not sure if anything is ever done. Hopefully this year won't be as bad, I've been walking on a treadmill to try to not stay so stiff, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this will help improve me walking thru the park. 

I'm confused. When you go to Drop Tower first thing in the morning do you have a green sheet (or as you call it a ride pass) with you? If so, then yes, they should be letting you through the exit. But if not, they are right in making you use the regular line. You must have a green sheet in order to use the alternate entrance  (the exit).

• Like 2

Yes I have the green sheet, but they make me go thru the regular entrance. When I said something at guest relations another guy heard me and he said he's had the same issue. 

I'm not trying to use the ride pass as there's no wait first thing in the morning, I just want to be able to go thru the exit. This is the only ride I have this issue with. There have been many times that rides have no wait and I always go thru the exit for handicap entrance as its an easier walk, if I have the green sheet there shouldn't be an issue w using the exit and like I said, this is the only ride I ever have an issue with. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few nitpicks and they're all very similar in style...

-The Beast's queue line has been in such disarray for a few years now, and with Mystic Timbers opening next door-- I think it's become underwhelming. Last year, I saw some of the signs falling down in the queue for The Beast, I could spy Haunt junk in the little storage room on the bottom half of the queue, and it just feels kind of dark and dry rotted. Why can't this get some sort of spruce up? I mean, this is the world's longest wooden roller coaster and it's held onto that record for decades! Park guests should feel that they're about to board a legendary coaster and get hyped for that in the line, but you just don't.

-I have a love hate relationship with the leftover Top Gun theming in The Bat queue line. The stars and American flag are so stinkin' obvious. Just paint over them. Make them spooky. I don't know. I can't even call them an Easter egg because truthfully they just look lazy.

-The brake runs on Racer are disgusting. The walls are covered in dirty hand prints and some occasional vomit stains. Again, Racer is pretty historic to Kings Island and coaster history. Take care of it. 

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

So as I've been looking at Steel Vengeance updates, I've realized that Kings Island is lacking at a theming element for something. 

It's not necessarily a good or bad thing, so I can't really say it's a nitpick for sure. I guess it could just be an observation.

But with some coasters at Cedar Point, they've given the trains specific names. Steel Vengeance has: Blackjack, Digger and Chess. Maverick has Brett, Brent, Ben, Beau, Bart and Sam.

Kings Island has lacked this theming element with their additions since Cedar Fair took over, with Firehawk (Red and Yellow), Diamondback (Green, Red and Brown), Banshee (Blue, Green and Purple) and  Mystic Timbers (Blue, Green and Orange)....I may not have called them by their direct hue name, oops.  

As I said, not really a nitpick, more of an observation. I mean who wouldn't want  Dennis Spiegle named coaster train? 

• Like 5

I really enjoy everything at the park so if I was to nitpick mine would be that they make you get off a train and go all the way around even if there isn’t someone waiting to ride next. Never heard the story as to why they did that honestly... someone clue me in please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 2:43 AM, TheRickster said:

^ I'm sure they deliberately chose to NOT paint over the flag in the tunnel. Someone would want to use it as a chance to brag about how patriotic they are and spout off on Facebook and try to get a bunch of bad press.

True. I just think it's bad theming. Me being very nitpicky!

2 hours ago, DubVLegend said:

I really enjoy everything at the park so if I was to nitpick mine would be that they make you get off a train and go all the way around even if there isn’t someone waiting to ride next. Never heard the story as to why they did that honestly... someone clue me in please.

From what I have heard CF is meticulous about ride counts and it is harder to keep track with rerides.  

• Like 2

On 4/13/2018 at 10:04 PM, DubVLegend said:

I don't particularly like having to walk all the way around either. Especially when it's for white water canyon. I just assumed they don't allow it due to fast passes. 

1 hour ago, Yippee Skippee said:

I don't particularly like having to walk all the way around either. Especially when it's for white water canyon. I just assumed they don't allow it due to fast passes. 

I asked about this once.  I was told that there were some fights in the past and that is why the started this rule.