2018 Employee Dress Code

Gravity891989

Hi all, I am planning on attending the job fair this Saturday for the upcoming season. I will be trying to get a position with the Rides department. 

I have plenty of experience in the industry, working for several seasons at Dollywood in my home state of Tennessee.

My question is in regards to employee policies at Kings Island. At Dollywood, no tattoos could be visible, but my wrist was easily covered up. My big concern is Kings Island's policy on facial hair.

I've read online that for many years, the park required you to be completely clean shaven, not just well-kept. Is this still the policy? And what constitutes too much facial hair, i.e is 1 day stubble going to keep me from employment?

Any answers from folks who have worked there or currently work there, or anyone else who has knowledge about the topic will be really appreciated.

Thanks for the help  :)

• Like 1

No visible tattoos, the same as Dollywood. It used to be that no facial hair was allowed, although they were very lax on it. As of 2017 they changed policy so that fully-grown facial hair (i.e. no stubble) was allowed. All-in-all, from a supervisor's perspective, do your job and make an attempt to be well-kept and don't break any big wardrobe rules (keep your shirt tucked in, belt, name tag on, etc.) and we can let some stubble go every once in a while (especially during late-season/Haunt).

Side note, what ride crew are you looking to join?

• Like 1

I am absolutely open to joining any of the ride crews, especially any of the coasters considering that's what my experience at Dollywood mostly consisted of. I really enjoy working in that environment with the excitement levels.

I'm glad to hear the policies with Kings Island aren't outdated and they seem to correlate for the most part with other theme parks I've looked into.

The tattoo thing is not really an issue, as I stated before I can easily cover it being that it is very small and non-offensive anyway.

The facial hair policy sounds par for the course too and also should not be a problem for me. I do have a small, full, but well-trimmed beard, however I am flexible on keeping it how it is. I was just concerned that they'd require me to clean shave entirely, which would be a bummer lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I don't understand the issues with tattoos.  Some of the most professional people I know are covered with them.  

Mainly because some people can become offended by whatever someone has on their body. I personally don't have a problem with tattoos but I can understand why a company like Cedar Fair has a policy against it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I don't understand the issues with tattoos.  Some of the most professional people I know are covered with them.  

Mainly it’s more of an old school perspective “everyone with a tattoo is a criminal” mentality.

Also, there is a thin line between artistic and trashy when it comes to tattoos (which is also in the eye of the beholder). There’s not much they can do in the vein of “this is art, go right ahead” and “this is trashy, cover it up.” 

Of course, when you are hiring more and more people you have to be less and less picky, which is exactly why they changed this rule. Plus it was probably time to turn that corner anyway.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2018 at 7:26 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Mainly it’s more of an old school perspective “everyone with a tattoo is a criminal” mentality.

Also, there is a thin line between artistic and trashy when it comes to tattoos (which is also in the eye of the beholder). There’s not much they can do in the vein of “this is art, go right ahead” and “this is trashy, cover it up.” 

Of course, when you are hiring more and more people you have to be less and less picky, which is exactly why they changed this rule. Plus it was probably time to turn that corner anyway.

Would they be ok with my Tomb Raider: The Ride tattoo on my arm :)

My current employment allows tattoos but are subject to be covered if found inappropriate. Normally all tattoos are appropriate and do not hit taboo subjects.

For example I have a tattoo on my arm in remembrance of the Holocaust and is allowable at my professional job. As the country becomes more and more PC I do see additional larger companies allowing tattoos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...