Rumor has it that Dinosaurs Alive at Kings Dominion will go extinct in 2019

Although it is third-hand information at this point, this Redditor on r/rollercoasters claims that Kings Dominion is telling employees to visit their Dinosaurs Alive this year, before it's gone. Even if this fizzles out to be untrue, there's plenty of speculation to be had as to which installment may get the axe next, and what the parks could put there.

• Like 1

KI DA: 2011-2017
KD DA: 2012 -2018

Following this model, all the Dinosaurs Alives at CP, CW, and Dorney should also be closing, with the rest to close in 2019. I realize that 2 events =/= a trend, but it is interesting to think about. I can totally see a coaster going in almost all of the spots taken up by DA, especially Millenium Island.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^Is there another reason other than an expired contract that made KI take out the Dinos?  Your words make me think there's more to it.  We all knew from day 1 it wasn't a permanent thing unless I missed something, right?

Unkept Dinos and poor attendance could also be a factor. DA would have been better if it was outside the park but still a part of KI.  They could have got a lot of school groups who could have paid seperate admission just to see the dinosaurs.

I think the big turn off was that if School groups wanted to see Dinosaurs Alive, they would have to pay for park admission as well.

• Like 3

For primary grades, school group tickets were inclusive of Dinosaurs Alive admission. Providing educational experiences is important for attracting school groups in the spring.

DA likely became less of a draw for schools as the exhibit aged and the park developed additional educational programming.

• Like 4

I think it could be argued that the writing was on the wall for the impending extinction (eventually) of the attraction once they opened it for free to gold and platinum pass holders.

I would have sworn I took my kid through there during the first year with my gold pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 2:41 AM, silver2005 said:

^Is there another reason other than an expired contract that made KI take out the Dinos?  Your words make me think there's more to it.  We all knew from day 1 it wasn't a permanent thing unless I missed something, right?

My understanding is that it actually outlasted what they had originally intended.  I think that people are looking too much into the length of the contract. In fact, I think much of what what we assume is part of the contract is directly derived from years of speculation rather than factual info. 

I still think that there is a short term plan for that land. Dinosaurs was going to go, but why now? Why stop in 2017? 

Dont get me wrong, it’s entirely possible that the popularity weaned over the 8 years of its existence to the point where it was not viable to keep the attraction and that’s it. However, again, being the biggest and longest of all of the DA attractions then that would heavily imply that the issues are on a scale from just as bad or far worse at the other parks - especially the ones with less attendance.

My speculation? And I can not emphasize more that this is simply speculation: I think that the end of DA and the rumors of a giga are hand in hand. The puzzle pieces simply fit together too well. To see the future you need not look further than the past. Remember of Son of Beast sat and sat and sat with no action until 2012? The ride was razed and almost immediately the footers (footings?) began to show up? You can’t tell me that those decisions didn’t go hand in hand.

Thr likely truth is that we will know a lot more on April 13th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well said, @BoddaH1994. A lot of enthusiasts are predicting a giga and it seems inevitable that the park is due to get one. Like I've been saying, Kings Island has always been late on the trends and for good reason. Banshee came in after the invert trend died down and now everyone loves it, similar to Mystic Timbers came in when the wooden trend died down. My formula is this: don't follow the trends, wait until the trends die down then reinvent them. Raise the bar! If this is the formula they've been following, then I think we're in for a real treat 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SonofBaconator said:

Well said, @BoddaH1994. A lot of enthusiasts are predicting a giga and it seems inevitable that the park is due to get one. Like I've been saying, Kings Island has always been late on the trends and for good reason. Banshee came in after the invert trend died down and now everyone loves it, similar to Mystic Timbers came in when the wooden trend died down. My formula is this: don't follow the trends, wait until the trends die down then reinvent them. Raise the bar! 

I have to admit that even when I heard rumblings of a wooden coaster, I was against the idea because of its proximity to The Beast. Fortunately the two offer a wildly different experience.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I have to admit that even when I heard rumblings of a wooden coaster, I was against the idea because of its proximity to The Beast. Fortunately the two offer a wildly different experience.

Yeah I thought the same thing for a while too, but you can't really compare The Beast to any other ride. I want a giga that can't be compared to Diamondback the way Fury 325 and Leviathan are compared to Intimidator and Behemoth. 

• Like 1