What Kinda Music You like to Hear in PKI

Scooby_Doo

Paramount's Kings Island has 8 separate areas, each with its own theme. I concur with the folks who displayed a displeasure for Rap. Being that our esteemed theme park has 8 unique themed areas, I'd like each to play different music:

International Street - Internationa Music (Italian/French/Chinese songs) to match the international eateries at International Street.

Oktoberfest - German beer hall songs.

Paramount Action Zone - Paramount's Movie theme songs.

Coney Mall - Comtemporary Pop Music.

Rivertown - Downhome Country Music.

Hanna-Barbera Land - Old Hanna-Barbera cartoon tunes.

Nickelodeon Central - Nickelodeon cartoon Music.

WaterWorks - 1960s & 1970s Beach music (Beach Boys, Momas & Papas, etc.)

What do y'all think of that?????????

Edited by italianchef

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember when I went last October, I heard the Unchained Melody (Ghost) when I was standing near the exit about ready to leave. Talk about a song that truly captures the mood of leaving the park! I think the Paramount music is cool no matter where you are in the park.

• 12 years later...

Only you would resurrect a now twelve-year-old topic from the dead, Terpy.

Oddly enough, the soundstage that held the iconic set pieces from that particular production (Stage 28) was demolished at Universal Studios Hollywood this past September.

• Like 5

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but I'll say it again here.  I absolutely loath the music that's pumped through the park in recent year.  It's the same junk all the time in every single area of the park.  It's the same stuff you hear on the radio on the ride to the park.  Why in this world would I want to come to KI to hear what's blasting on the radio 24/7? I wouldn't.  I want music that sets a certain mood.  When I walk through the gates, I want to feel like I've left reality behind me and entered a new dimension of fun. 

I remember back in the 90s, when you walked through the front gates and saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time.  They used to play instrumental music and there was something about hearing that music and seeing the fountains and looking up and seeing the tower in the middle of it all.  The combinations of those things just made you excited to be there.  Not anymore.  Now, no matter where you are in the park, you get the same type of pop music.  Whether you're on International Street, Planet Snoopy, or Coney Mall, you get the pleasure of hearing Taylor Swift sing about another failed relationship or any of the other similar sounding songs.

Now I'm not bashing this type of music.  I think there is a place for it and it can definitely be fun to crank the type of music in your car, roll down your windows and go cruising down the highway in the summer time.  However, for me it just doesn't seem to fit within the park setting.  If I'm in a particular area of the park, I want to hear music that makes me feel like I'm in that area.  However, since we are losing the themed lands one by one, I guess it's not going to matter much anymore.  I'd really like the instrumental music back though, at least on International Street.  I think you need that big first impression when you walk into the park.

That's just my two cents.

• Like 5

I meant same type of music.  I've heard some pop music in Planet Snoopy while walking through.  I know it's more than just Kidz Bop.  I've definitely heard some Miley Cyrus and wondered why in the world there were still playing her music.

• Like 1

I have similar feelings about the music in the park. I haven't been over in Planet Snoopy much this year, so I don't know exactly what they play, but I believe it's similar music over the loud speakers to whats played on International Street, plus Kidz Bop. This would be my ideal soundtrack list for each section:

International Street- Whatever they play at Kings Dominion (The Reivers Main Theme by John Williams, Gabriels Oboe by Ennio Morricone from "The Mission," etc.) plus some from the Taft/KECO era (Sabre Dance by Aram Khachutarian, Hoedown by Aaron Copland).

Planet Snoopy- Music from the Peanuts specials, like "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown."

Coney Mall- Nothing much to change.

Action Zone- Nothing much to change.

Rivertown- Bluegrass music in train station.

Soak City- Beach Boys music.

• Like 3

Not to mention some of it is utterly inappropriate for a Kiddieland. Making kiddies, maybe...

I don't recall which park it was (almost want to say Cedar Point, but not sure) but I distinctly remember hearing "Centerfold" by the J. Geils Band right next to a childrens' area. As I said already, Cedar Point seems correct. I want to say it was right near the Magnum exit (which is very close to the Gemini childrens' area).

• Like 1

I like the fact they're cranking out 90's music in Coney Mall now.  Instant nostalgia trigger for me.  Twas the decade I grew to love the park.  

I think their music selection is fine.  Its a decent mix of music while attending to their key demographics.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...