KI/CP Trip Advice

CoasterFan3180

Greetings everyone, haven't posted on this site in quite a while, but I'm back now because I'm planning a trip to Kings Island and Cedar Point trip this year during the first full week of June. I visited these two parks for the first time in 2015 and I'm thrilled to be heading back, especially since the two parks will have added three new coasters by the time I get there. Just wanted to ask a few questions to make trip planning easier, and also wanted to share my trip schedule to make sure the plans sound feasible.

Monday: Fly from Minneapolis to Toledo (with a stop at O'Hare) in the morning, drive to Kings Island, spend rest of day there. (I'm flying into Toledo because I found a nice airfare on American Airlines that was a lot cheaper than flying into Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Columbus.)

Tuesday: Kings Island until 8 or 9pm, drive an hour or so northeast and spend the night somewhere.

Wednesday: Finish drive to Cedar Point in the morning and spend the rest of the day there.

Thursday: Cedar Point all-day.

Friday: Cedar Point until mid-afternoon, then drive to Toledo and fly home.

1) For lodging near Kings Island, I reserved a room at the Super 8 Mason near the park, but from what I've read after booking it, people have given it some very negative reviews. I already paid a non-refundable fee for the room, so is it really that bad? Personally, I'm not very high-maintenance when it comes to where I sleep. As long as I have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in, I'm good. 

2) Since I'm a Cedar Fair employee (I'm a ride operator at Valleyfair), I'll be getting free admission and free parking at both parks. To any KI or CP employees on here, I'm assuming no on this, but would my VF associate ID allow me in the park for early entry/early ride time? Any other CF employee perks I should be aware of?

3) Since my visit three years ago was around the same time, I know what crowd levels to expect for the rides I've been on. How long should I expect to wait for the new rides like Mystic Timbers and Valravn, and what do you recommend as the best places to sit on those coasters?

4) Any good restaurants near KI or CP that'll be open after the park closes?

5) Anything else I should know that'll make the trip better?

Any input is appreciated. :)

• Like 2

I would sure hope you could get in for ERT sure would be petty of CF to not allow that for an employee.  

Your plan seems rather solid but if you do get ERT I would maybe push a little farther towards CP so you can get there no later than 8:30 AM for 9:00AM ERT.  If you are looking to do Steel Vengeance for ERT note last year they started blocking parking in the morning for the CPS (back) lot, so you will need to park up front and hoof it to the Marina or Resort Gate to get closer to SV.  The new boardwalk on the beach is supposed to go all the way back, but I haven’t seen it yet and is probably still under construction.  

Also for your approach to CP I would let Google Maps pick the route for you and do not follow all the “Cedar Point This Way” signs.  They will likely add 15-20 minutes to the route.  

I come up from Columbus and take route 4 all the way into downtown Sandusky and then hang a right on 1st Street and take that all the way to the causeway.  

Here is a sketch of the route I made last year for someone.

C92F95F4-9200-4C45-89AC-95C759A0A6E0.jpeg

Edit: if you don’t already know this start in the back half CP in the morning and hold off on the front 1/2 of the park until after lunch.   I have seen 1.5 hour lines for Raptor and GateKeeper in the mornings to see them turn to station waits by mid afternoon.  

• Like 2

1) The Super 8 is not great, but it's not terrible either. It''s about average for a cheap motel. The problem with cheap hotels/motels is that people come in expecting things that you only get at more expensive places, don't get those things, and then leave reviews calling the place terrible for not offering those things. I stayed there once and didn't have any problems, though nowadays I prefer the Microtel Inn across the road if I need to stay overnight near the park (not often since I live just 45 minutes away).

3) Mystic Timbers usually won't be too bad as far as wait times that early in the year. That said, ride it during ERT if you can, then ride it again after dark. Front and back seats are both good; back offers more airtime, while front offers the best view of the ride as well as the shed. I can't help you with Valravn, since I haven't been to CP since 2014.

4) Near KI, just the usual suspects. Waffle House across the road from the Super 8 and McDonald's on Kings Mills Road are both open 24 hours. There's a Taco Bell nearby, but I don't know what time their dining room closes (though the drive-through ought to be open plenty late enough). South of the park, I'm not really sure what options there would be in that direction. I know there's a Steak 'n Shake at the Fields-Ertel exit, but I've heard negative reviews of that place, so I wouldn't recommend it. Again, can't help you with CP.

• Like 2

The Super 8 is terrible, but it can be loud. And the last time I stayed there, I asked for a room not facing the freeway. Big mistake! Hookers and drug dealers on the backside! I usually stay about ten minutes from the park at The Shaker Inn.

1 hour ago, jcgoble3 said:
1) The Super 8 is not great, but it's not terrible either. It''s about average for a cheap motel. The problem with cheap hotels/motels is that people come in expecting things that you only get at more expensive places, don't get those things, and then leave reviews calling the place terrible for not offering those things. I stayed there once and didn't have any problems, though nowadays I prefer the Microtel Inn across the road if I need to stay overnight near the park (not often since I live just 45 minutes away)
Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

The Super 8 is terrible, but it can be loud. And the last time I stayed there, I asked for a room not facing the freeway. Big mistake! Hookers and drug dealers on the backside! I usually stay about ten minutes from the park at The Shaker Inn.

Is that a bad thing?  :)

If you are not in a rush to get to the Pointe, why not stay until close both nights?  That part of June will be near peak sunlight, so it won't get dark until 9:00 or so.  That way you can ensure (weather pending) that you'll be able to squeeze in night rides on The Beast, Banshee Mystic Timbers, Adventure Express (4 best night coasters in my opinion) and perhaps another ride or two that catches your fancy (Diamondback would be the 5th choice in my opinion).  It would be tough to catch all 4 in one night at that time of the year.  Staying a little later would allow you to catch 2 series of night rides at KI as well as 2 series of night rides at the Pointe.  I'm not sure that getting an hour north is going to affect the start of your day that much (assuming that you're taking 71 thru columbus to get there, an hour north would put you somewhere around the south side of Cbus).  Leave at 10:30ish after your last ride and you can get to the south side of columbus by midnight, crash in a bit in the morning, hit the road around 10:00 and get up the point around 1:00 or 2:00 depending on what you do for lunch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

Greetings everyone, haven't posted on this site in quite a while, but I'm back now because I'm planning a trip to Kings Island and Cedar Point trip this year during the first full week of June. I visited these two parks for the first time in 2015 and I'm thrilled to be heading back, especially since the two parks will have added three new coasters by the time I get there. Just wanted to ask a few questions to make trip planning easier, and also wanted to share my trip schedule to make sure the plans sound feasible.

Monday: Fly from Minneapolis to Toledo (with a stop at O'Hare) in the morning, drive to Kings Island, spend rest of day there. (I'm flying into Toledo because I found a nice airfare on American Airlines that was a lot cheaper than flying into Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Columbus.)

Tuesday: Kings Island until 8 or 9pm, drive an hour or so northeast and spend the night somewhere.

Wednesday: Finish drive to Cedar Point in the morning and spend the rest of the day there.

Thursday: Cedar Point all-day.

Friday: Cedar Point until mid-afternoon, then drive to Toledo and fly home.

1) For lodging near Kings Island, I reserved a room at the Super 8 Mason near the park, but from what I've read after booking it, people have given it some very negative reviews. I already paid a non-refundable fee for the room, so is it really that bad? Personally, I'm not very high-maintenance when it comes to where I sleep. As long as I have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in, I'm good. 

2) Since I'm a Cedar Fair employee (I'm a ride operator at Valleyfair), I'll be getting free admission and free parking at both parks. To any KI or CP employees on here, I'm assuming no on this, but would my VF associate ID allow me in the park for early entry/early ride time? Any other CF employee perks I should be aware of?

3) Since my visit three years ago was around the same time, I know what crowd levels to expect for the rides I've been on. How long should I expect to wait for the new rides like Mystic Timbers and Valravn, and what do you recommend as the best places to sit on those coasters?

4) Any good restaurants near KI or CP that'll be open after the park closes?

5) Anything else I should know that'll make the trip better?

Any input is appreciated. :)

As far as 1) The Super 8 isn't terrible in my experience. I've stayed there probably over 20 times and have never had an issue. I typically ask for a room on the 2nd floor. You should be fine. 

2) I would think your VF associate ID will get you in to the park for ERT. As far as current things, current associates will be best suited to answer the other part of this question.

3) Mystic Timbers, shouldn't be too bad, the line moves rather quickly even when it's long. Try to hit it for ERT if you can or right at park opening. Really any place on this ride is good. I prefer the back right seat. Check it out. I also like the front too. For Valravn....this still gets quite a big line as of last year, even as it's 2nd year. It's not the best capacity for a big ride..but it works. I'd hit this up for ERT and late evening if possible. Front or 2nd row for this.

4) Depends on how far you want to drive from each park. For KI, I really don't have any suggestions, usually when leaving the park, we grab fast food on the way home. As for CP, there's a local place called Diana's Deli....it's fairly good. It's on Route 250 not too far from the park. It's open 24 hours and has pretty much all American food. 

5) Just enjoy it! :)

• Like 1