New Coney Historical Pictures

CoastersRZ

On 3/15/2018 at 4:07 AM, goettablitz said:

This is a pretty cool documentary that I stumbled across a couple of years ago and these old photos reminded me of it.  It is about the making of Kings Island and how it came from Coney.  Check it out!

Loved this series, its great I forget the maybe 20th anniversary special was greatbtp, i wish someone had a great copy. 

The host i forget to..

• Like 1

I actually just saw this video for the first time on Friday. 

This does have some awesome footage.  You can actually see several of the buildings that are still standing at Coney to this day.  Obviously, some of the rides like the log flume have been relocated to Kings Island.

• Like 5

A few observations:

The overflow parking lot where the ferry parked by the lighthouse was used as a campground for the Boy Scouts over every Memorial Weekend

Many of the Ginkgo ice cream push-up trees are still there

They still had duo ways to ride the rides, tickets and POP

Since then, Lake Como's configuration was changed.

Excellent posts!

Pilotank

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 9:52 PM, upstop said:

I’m absolutely obsessed with Coney pictures. I would love more pictures of the Lost River, especially the inside and the Haunted House. Those two rides are ones that that I would have loved to seen transferred to Kings Island. 

I agree!! Also, I would love to see inside pictures of the Windjammer:)

Pilotank

• Like 2

Very cool.  I like those "see you at Kings Island" signs throughout the park.  It's also amazing that, here we are, in 2018, and the "new" Kings Island park is currently building a brand-new restaurant themed to an area that itself is modeled after Coney Island.  Still influential 47 years later.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

@coasterrz - I've always wondered: Are any of the midways at Coney the original ones from '71 or earlier?  Or was the park essentially leveled and they started from scratch?  

Yes. Moonlight Gardens, the Hampton Court games, the administration building, the extension of Moonlight Gardens was the original Cuddleup, Whip, and Dogems building, the Larosa’s Building (originally a penny arcade.... basically every building near lake Como was pre-1971. Also the picnic grove is original. Everything east of the penny arcade and east of the picnic grove was demolished. The Dogem, golf game a handful of rides sits on part of the original northern part of the midway.... ah I remember it well... :P (I’m really not that old I was a toddler then, I just have great memories of the park) 

• Like 4

That is correct.  Also, the current maintenance building used to be part of the Cafeteria.  That is the building immediately behind the Carousel and Scream Machine.  Behind the administration building and now behind a fence in an area for employees only is the German beer garden restaurant.  That is now the comissary, used to produce food for Moonlite Gardens when there are weddings there, or for specialty food items for the picnic grove.

The location of the Fender Bender is the approximate location of where the Shooting Star station used to be.

• Like 2