Kings Island Announces 2018 Changes

No disrespect to Chef Nate here. Just in case there was a question about that. No idea, but I have a feeling these Chef's have all kinds of fabulous ideas that the park won't even entertain. I'm excited about the Coney BBQ, for sure though. Great dining experiences are an area the park could certainly capitalize upon, and its nice to see them publicizing some food service changes. Tells me they are listening.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Ahh.  Colored with petro chemical hydrocarbon based by products.   Innovative indeed.   

I don't know the specific make up of blue ice cream or blue hot chocolate.  We most likely would be surprised by many of the things we consume.  For those who consume dairy, we are consuming a form of cow perspiration, since mammary glands are modified sweat glands.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/mammary_gland.htm

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Mammary gland secretions are a far cry from toxic chemicals.

What specifically, is the toxic chemical in blue hot chocolate and blue ice cream?  How much would one have to consume to cause damage?  I love the blue ice cream, but I may have 2 or 3 cones a year.  Should  be worried?    I'm more worried about the soy and corn that I do my very best to avoid after the crops have been exposed to multiple doses of glycophosphate.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

What specifically, is the toxic chemical in blue hot chocolate and blue ice cream?  How much would one have to consume to cause damage?  

I already stated that. Petro chemicals.  (Hydrocarbons) (artificial food dyes)  My son can have eat one Starbrite, a few M&Ms or Skittles, even Blue Ice Cream and have buzzing in his head for three days and accomplish nothing at school.  Permanent Damage?  The Food Lobby will not allow the FDA to conduct true scientific tests on that.  

Edited by King Ding Dong
  • Like 2

I can get behind that statement.  I'd like to see more options at RHOFG, and (hopefully) a return of the IR.  

Beyond that, I would like to see the park address the long term problem of staffing in food service.  Overhire, overtrain and focus on the basics: QSC&V.  IS Skyline should never look like a food fight broke out.  The park has had 45 years to predict busy days; staff more cashiers and have both sides of the eateries open.  Update the POS system across the chain.  Have supervisors actually train and develop and discipline (egads) rather be besties.

17 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I already stated that. Petro chemicals.  (Hydrocarbons).   My son can have eat one Starbrite, a few M&Ms or Skittles, even Blue Ice Cream and have buzzing in his head for three days and accomplish nothing at school.  Permanent Damage?  The Food Lobby will not allow the FDA to conduct true scientific tests on that.  

But hydrocarbons are in most foods--hydrogen, carbon and oxygen.  What are petro chemicals?  Oil, diesel, gasoline?  Are they putting this into the blue ice cream or M&Ms and Skittles?  I'm sorry your son has to deal with this.  That's got to be tough.

• Like 3

They're not going to rehaul every single food area in one year. It's a process. Chef Nathan actually came from Disney I believe. With him and the new chef they will bring new food that are of better quality and not bland. Once again, isn't going to happen in one year. 

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

I'm listening, go on...innovative ideas...

Mac and Cheese Bar during WinterFest and Island Smokehouse last year. The bringing the Smokehouse to the park this year. Also, the International Street buffet.

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

It may be.   But why is this great news?  Island Smokehouse was a success in my mind but the post above me lists 11 complete failures.  

Those 11 failures aren't his fault. Those were here before both of them. 

Change is coming but it's just not going to happen as fast as you guys want it. Maybe it's a budget thing, I have no idea. Maybe the park needs to "utilize the executive chefs more".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Artificial food dyes are made from petro chemicals.  The park freely admits they add them to Blue Ice Cream.  Chef Nate admitted on Twitter they use the same dyes in Blue Hot Chocolate.  

There are natural alternatives, but are not as profitable.  

It's complicated. We have friends who have a son that can't have red dye---which is usually made from insects...aka "natural", whatever that even means.

• Like 1

I highly doubt the Chef is responsible for the service aspect of the restaurants.  He is likely responsible for coming up with new menu items and confirming the incoming quality of ingredients.  He probably is responsible for tasting products frequently as well, but as you and I both know, if they know he's coming, they are making fresh food.

The problem with Food at Kings Island, it is literally the last place anyone wants to work there.  They are getting people who got turned down from other departments.  We've gotten into this argument on here many, many times, so I'll spare everyone the bullet points.  Basically, the food department is getting lower end employees than other departments and they have to settle for those employees.  That's not to say everyone in food is bad, but the vast majority is.

Also, if you aren't comfortable with food dyes in your food, you need to eat organic.  

• Like 1

I highly doubt the Chef is responsible for the service aspect of the restaurants.  He is likely responsible for coming up with new menu items and confirming the incoming quality of ingredients.  He probably is responsible for tasting products frequently as well, but as you and I both know, if they know he's coming, they are making fresh food.
The problem with Food at Kings Island, it is literally the last place anyone wants to work there.  They are getting people who got turned down from other departments.  We've gotten into this argument on here many, many times, so I'll spare everyone the bullet points.  Basically, the food department is getting lower end employees than other departments and they have to settle for those employees.  That's not to say everyone in food is bad, but the vast majority is.
Also, if you aren't comfortable with food dyes in your food, you need to eat organic.  

The service and quality overall is one of the reasons we killed our meal plan for this year. It got to the point where we just ate in the park because we “already paid for it”... not because it was good or great service or an event.

I agree with the above. Over hire and over train. Yes you may get some of the ones turned down from other positions but that doesn’t excuse some of the issues food service has.

The new chef may not be responsible for anything but he’s the face that runs the place. That means when it’s good or bad it’s on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, JubJester said:

I think you're going to start seeing a change in terms of quality. They got rid of the potato works and are putting in a better establishment. The smokehouse food quality was way better than any other place in the park. 

The first time I went to smoke hosue the food did have good flavor but the dish was cold.  The 2nd and last time we went 3/4 people in my group were sick the next day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teenageninja said:

One problem is that direness of lines inspires the speediness of preparing food which often foregoes the quality.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

2 less smoking areas.  Good to see.  I am really glad they are moving the ones that were right in the middles of Coney Mall.

Myself, I am a smoker and never really did like the lower coney location.  It was in a weird spot and too small.  The upper one (closer to WindSeeker), while in the middle of the large path, was more secluded.  However, these should not be large adjustments.

My rule is that I will only smoke in the designated locations, as I would like to keep being able to do this in the park.  I have shown several other smokers where the locations are and will probably continue to do this for this reason.

That being said, I have yet to see anyone smoking or vaping outside of these areas talked to or disciplined by the park personnel, security included.  Kind of goes hand in hand with Line Jumping (which I do not do) .  You can place all of the signs up you want, but unless it is enforced on those that do not care about these rules, it really loses its meaning.

I do get a laugh when someone goes into the smoking area and then complains about the smoke (yep, I have seen this).  It would be like complaining about the beer smell in the Beirgarten.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Gannersdaddy said:

Myself, I am a smoker and never really did like the lower coney location.  It was in a weird spot and too small.  The upper one (closer to WindSeeker), while in the middle of the large path, was more secluded.  However, these should not be large adjustments.

My rule is that I will only smoke in the designated locations, as I would like to keep being able to do this in the park.  I have shown several other smokers where the locations are and will probably continue to do this for this reason.

That being said, I have yet to see anyone smoking or vaping outside of these areas talked to or disciplined by the park personnel, security included.  Kind of goes hand in hand with Line Jumping (which I do not do) .  You can place all of the signs up you want, but unless it is enforced on those that do not care about these rules, it really loses its meaning.

I do get a laugh when someone goes into the smoking area and then complains about the smoke (yep, I have seen this).  It would be like complaining about the beer smell in the Beirgarten.  

There are some of us that have stopped cigarettes and moved on to vaping that every once in a while will complain about how smoky smoking sections are. For me, it's mainly because I still want cigarettes, but dropped them to try a "healthier alternative", and now, here we are, lumped right back into the same group, still huffing away on the smoke. Can't win, so we whine. I do understand the reasoning, I get it, but it sucks. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

. So how about the 2018 dining plan. Anything from here?

They said things will be included from the new place, but the dining plan hasn't been announced yet. I've been keeping an eye on cpfoodblog and the KI website.

As usual, I'll update my meal deals thread if i see anything.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, harveyhaddixfan said:

Did anyone notice the post on Twitter from Chef Nate about hiring “fine dining cooks”? I wonder if that would be for a regular season International Street restaurant?

I'm like 90% sure that they're just trying to lure people into the jobs by making them sound "fancier".  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

On the 2018 map it does list International Restaurant as a dining location so I would guess it will be open for the regular season.

That would be awesome! I have only eaten up there once but loved the view and the food was great! I'm sure it will be pricey but worth it if you went once or twice within a season. 

• Like 3

someone made mention of it on page 1- I'm not reading dozens of replies to get up to speed just to make my own comment.  

I hope this hire is a move towards improving what has been terrible for a very long time.  The food service area seems to be where they place the least talented and motivated people.... and a step below that seems to be the ones that run the check out area.  They are either too concerned with flirting with co-workers or "can't find the buttons"... there's really no in between.  

I, for one, am a proud family that has meal plans... because if I had to cough up $15 everytime we opened our mouths for mediocre product and lower-than-that service... 

I feel for Kings Island management.  quality employees that are >22 years old simply don't apply to work there and unlike Disney... quality college age employees aren't beating down the gates to work there.  I still think that they'd dramatically improve the overall guest experience by hiring half and paying them more.  it seems like their solution has been to hire quantity.  You don't hire a dozen "3's" and somehow end up with an 8 or 9.  Instead of hiring 10 kids to work the skyline location where one or two of them is actually working, hire 5 and pay the same aggregate total.  I don't work in the HR there- so I know there are more moving parts to it than my "simple" solution.

• Like 3