2018 Entertainment

ki95

Well, color me disappointed. I'm hoping there are more shows to add to this list. 

Of the parks with shows announced:

KD has 9
Dorney has 8
Valleyfair has 10
Knott's has 6

While their lineups may not be completely full either, 5 shows (outside of the Fireworks) is kind of disappointing especially after the crazy amount and quality of shows at WinterFest. Really hoping there is more coming. 

• Like 3

Well, at least there is still Off The Charts (and Cirque is coming...). Oh well, more time for riding stuff! Also, that stinks that Back to the 90's isn't coming back; I loved that show, but it had a great run!

EDIT: Forever Country could be interesting; we'll have to wait and see...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kifan91 said:

I just found it interesting that they didn’t announce the cirque with the rest of the shows

This just means that it will be a separate announcement - implying it won’t be Origins.

edit: (web site back up) looks like the country show will have a live band. That’s a cool touch!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

This just means that it will be a separate announcement - implying it won’t be Origins.

edit: (web site back up) looks like the country show will have a live band. That’s a cool touch!

When do they usually anounce new cirque shows not saying they have to I just really like cirque shows 

• Like 2

You're barking up the wrong tree (see what I did there?) with the dog shows. I'm not a fan of a show being outside during the summer with dog performers.

WinterFest had quality and quantity, so why would it be wrong to wish for the same during the regular season? I don't know, maybe I was being a bit unrealistic hoping for shows that weren't just revues and/or something we haven't been seeing over the past few years. 

Part of my displeasure with what I'm seeing for the entertainment line up as it stands now is that with my experience working in entertainment and theater, I'm seeing show spaces not used to their full potential, I'm seeing shows that are updated but with just an overlay of new songs and media packages. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

You aren't spending money out in the park if you are watching a show.

When you don't have other forms of entertainment (i.e. rides) you have to have more shows.

How does that explain Cedar Point having 14 shows and Valleyfair having 10? You'd think with the "corporate greed" we always hear about when it comes to Cedar Point (oh they're charging for lockers, charging for Fast Lane, etc.) they'd have less shows if they really wanted you out in the park spending money. Cedar Point has 14 shows and how many rides? Having that many shows works for them. Why can't it work for us? 

I feel like we're getting gipped. Don't get me wrong, I love the rides at Kings Island and there have been multiple years where I saw maybe 3 shows or less....but after WinterFest, I grew a hope that we'd see quality shows during the year and more of them. 

I then think of a few folks I know that love shows but can't ride the rides. Two of the shows are Peanuts shows, geared toward kids...for most adults that'd get quite old, pretty quick. Just doesn't seem like there is a good balance. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, chugh43 said:

How does that explain Cedar Point having 14 shows and Valleyfair having 10? You'd think with the "corporate greed" we always hear about when it comes to Cedar Point (oh they're charging for lockers, charging for Fast Lane, etc.) they'd have less shows if they really wanted you out in the park spending money. Cedar Point has 14 shows and how many rides? Having that many shows works for them. Why can't it work for us? 

I feel like we're getting gipped. Don't get me wrong, I love the rides at Kings Island and there have been multiple years where I saw maybe 3 shows or less....but after WinterFest, I grew a hope that we'd see quality shows during the year and more of them. 

I then think of a few folks I know that love shows but can't ride the rides. Two of the shows are Peanuts shows, geared toward kids...for most adults that'd get quite old, pretty quick. Just doesn't seem like there is a good balance. 

Much of WF was contracted out. That was why you saw a quality difference. The lineup that you’re seeing is simply the more typical entertainment that we’ve come to expect from Kings Island over the past 10 or so years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Much of WF was contracted out. That was why you saw a quality difference. The lineup that you’re seeing is simply the more typical entertainment that we’ve come to expect from Kings Island over the past 10 or so years.

But why? Why should we expect the typical. I’m quite aware most of the WF entertainment was contracted out. That doesn’t mean KI can’t hold the same standard. 

I mean, going to see Lusty Lil’s at CP I can say that is such a high quality show. Why can’t KI have the same quality? Why can’t thet have more shows? 

Aside from a Cirque show, I doubt we’ll see anymore shows announced. You know, because of the typical. 

Most here won’t get why the lack of shows is a let down. 

• Like 5

Cedar Fair profits were up about 9% due to Winterfest activities at the three parks (and that was after paying for the all the contracted shows).   It seems they could easily repurpose the expensive trolley used for the Winterfest show (remove the Christmas garland and put some flowers on it) somewhere in the park to easily create another summer show.  And what about the clown band that everyone enjoyed at one time at Kings Island?  Just seems quality of entertainment is going to be lacking this summer season.

• Like 4