Defunctland - Tomb Raider: The Ride

chad_1138

I loved watching that video.. I am just 20 years old so I didn’t have knowledge of several things in that video. I also briefly remember riding this ride in its prime but what I can remember I loved.. I love how much theming went into this ride unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see this much theming again.. I also didn’t know this cost 20 MILLION! Wow.. too bad what happened to it 

• Like 3

Yea the theming of the ride was great. The ride itself was just ok. Since it was so big it couldn’t do as much as the standard top spins, but the theming and experience made it amazing and one of my favorite rides in the park. Think that’s part of why it failed as The Crypt. The ride needed the theming to excel. I loved our ride but almost wish we had gotten one like Kings Dominion so maybe it would still be around.

Hoping they will at least salvage the queue portion for a new attraction as it would make a great mine shaft themed queue that would fit well in that area.

• Like 4

The first time I rode Tomb Raider I was taken back by how different it was. Never rode anything like it, didn't know what to expect, it was a heck of a ride.

Didn't ride it again for a while since I stopped getting pass. When i finally did they had taken out that one row and branding. It was boring, wasn't worth the walk on i had to wait for.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2018 at 4:32 PM, purdude86 said:

Yea the theming of the ride was great. The ride itself was just ok. Since it was so big it couldn’t do as much as the standard top spins, but the theming and experience made it amazing and one of my favorite rides in the park. Think that’s part of why it failed as The Crypt. The ride needed the theming to excel. I loved our ride but almost wish we had gotten one like Kings Dominion so maybe it would still be around.

Hoping they will at least salvage the queue portion for a new attraction as it would make a great mine shaft themed queue that would fit well in that area.

The reduced capacity as The Crypt certainly didn't help either.

• Like 1

I honestly like Cedar Fair's take on theming over Paramount's.

IMO, Cedar Fair could never handle the level of theming Paramount initially put into their attractions. Paramount themed their rides to specific movies, with the exception of a few, which IMO isn't really original; you could compare that to Six Flags and how they theme most of their rides to DC. More recently, Cedar Fair has been theming their rides to folklore, mythology, and fictional characters which gives them more creative power when making a ride. I'm not going to deny that Paramount gave us great theming like what you see on Flight of Fear and Tomb Raider, but that's about all they did. During the Paramount years, a lot of rides like Adventure Express, Top Gun, and even the KI&MVRR had seen a decline in theming upkeep. Cedar Fair looks like its trying to do some good when it comes to theming their rides. I could honestly see Kings Island doing some work on Adventure Express in the coming years and restoring or overhauling the theming that has been neglected from earlier years. 

• Like 1

Paramount also would let upkeep on the major theming slide a bit. Tomb Raider even had numerous effects and lights go out and not get replaced.

I agree Cedar Fair has been doing a good job overall with theming. Think Mystic Timbers is at a great level of theming for a regional park.

• Like 1