What will be Cedar Point's next coaster?

Even with the addition of Steel Vengeance, it's not wrong to speculate the next type of coaster that Cedar Point might add. Depending on when other parks add their coasters, I think the park will get a B&M Flyer. There's been speculation from some Cedar Point fans that the park would get a flyer because this would continue the trend of B&M additions- GateKeeper (2013), Rougarou (2015), Valravn (2016). Also, there aren't that many B&M flyers out there, compared to other models at least, so the park could easily build one and make it the superior model.

If not a flyer I could see the park invest in a dark ride coaster like Wonder Mountain's Guardian. I know there's rumors of the park going over 500ft but I think that's a long ways off.

• Like 1

Regardless of what type of coaster CP adds next a good arguement can be made that there are some gaping holes that need to be filled to build on the family destination resort focus of the park.  Particularly in attractions the whole family can enjoy.   There just isn’t much for the 6-10 year olds or grandparents.  

Personally I would be happy if they focused on Big Steel but tweens and up are not the whole market.  

• Like 1

I think Cedar Point's next coaster has to go towards the family market, I think that something along the lines of Firechaser Express, Cobra's Curse, or Th13teen/Verbolten would do wonders for the park! 

Th13teen/Verbolten would be an interesting concept for the park, but that would require themeing to do it right 

Cobra's Curse is a great ride with tons of forces and tons of spin! 

Being honest, Firechaser Express is my third favorite roller coaster at Dollywood! It's not as tame as it looks, it has some great forces with the launches, and an amazing show scene that I really think could go perfectly with what Frontier Town is

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rhyano said:

^ I'll pretend this doesn't exist

I had never been to KD before they celebrated their anniversary, but it seems like they really went all out to bring back the charm.  Would be great if KI did something similar for the 50th.  I think they have been doing some small things for nostalgia sake, I'd like to see them ramp it up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

CP would never install a boring GGI.  The next coaster will be something epic.

Let me guess. If it's not Intamin it's boring. What you consider boring a whole heck of a lot people think are great. People don't have your lack of taste in coasters.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

They will not dissapoint with the 150th anniversary attraction.

That may be but my question is why do you think that?  I have not heard any CF executive talk about 150th at all, but I have heard many enthusiasts talk about it.  Same with 20 by 2020, never heard CF say anything about that as a goal.   But I could have missed it.   

Will building a huge epic coaster in 2 years increase revenue?   Maybe some, but building a new hotel on the Sandcastle land certainly will.  I am sceptical that building a 20+ million coaster every 2 years is sustainable or supported historically.  They can’t survive on coasters alone.   

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 5:45 PM, Tera Ryzing said:

CP would never install a boring GGI.  The next coaster will be something epic.

That's basically an insult to all of us who like GCI, and to an extent the chain.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:48 PM, Tera Ryzing said:

They will not dissapoint with the 150th anniversary attraction.

Do you sit in on the park's executive meetings? GCIs don't disappoint. Cedar Fair wouldn't be working with them if they did.

23 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

GCI's are for smaller parks in the chain.  Great America, valleyfair.

Funny because Kings Island is one of the largest parks in the chain and yet we have one.

If you don't have anything positive or constructive to contribute to the discussion then why say anything? Instead you bash @IndyGuy4KI for having an opinion. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

That's basically an insult to all of us who like GCI, and to an extent the chain.

Nah, he is entitled to his opinion.  Can’t take this stuff personally.   I don’t get insulted when others bash Firehawk and I certainly hope @VortexBFForever doesn’t take it personally when I rag on Vortex.  It’s just coasters.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@rhyano has said it best; Paddlewheel Excursions if rethemed and executed properly, could provide elegant views of the park. Just standing in Rougarou’s station makes me appreciate the geographic beauty of Cedar Point.

Thanks to RonAnnArbor for these photos...

96979FF8-6091-4358-89DF-A66C64132CD7.jpeg

1E67B473-5B47-4F0C-A94F-B82B5F5F7BD5.jpeg

8EF481AD-B3FA-48C2-B65B-65C08A7B07EB.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Nah, he is entitled to his opinion.  Can’t take this stuff personally.   I don’t get insulted when others bash Firehawk and I certainly hope @VortexBFForever doesn’t take it personally when I rag on Vortex.  It’s just coasters.  

True, but just saying a ride is boring is kinda rude. If I have an issue with a ride or company I explain it because it gives other people the opportunity to understand why I have said issues. At the end of the day its just coasters but I want something more than just "GCI is boring".

• Like 5

@King Ding Dong I don't take it personally (or at least I do my best not to :D) , though I do feel sorry for that family trip of yours that was unfortunately cut short due to that bad ride on Vortex. :(

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and I have learned to listen and accept others' different opinions, especially in this past year thanks to working at a ride that has mixed opinions!

-BFF, who has a somewhat unpopular opinion about The Beast (don't worry; I like it! Just not as much as a lot of other people. :))

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

GCI's are for smaller parks in the chain.  Great America, valleyfair.

Who said that? If they were, why does Kings Island have one? Kings Island is one of the bigger parks in the chain and they have one.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has a GCI coaster in it's lineup (Apocalypse), so big parks do indeed get GCI's. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JubJester said:

Who said that? If they were, why does Kings Island have one? Kings Island is one of the bigger parks in the chain and they have one.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has a GCI coaster in it's lineup (Apocalypse), so big parks do indeed get GCI's. 

Kings Island is not packing people into resorts etc....

• Like 1

I did not take @Tera Ryzing's post as an insult or bashing. I can see where it came off as defensive. 

I would remind everyone when writing a post think about the emotion that is or is not conveyed before posting. The emoji's go a long way to help.   Explaining yourself a little more will help not be taken the wrong way. I will start. 

I think CP needs a GCI woddie. Blue Streak is their only wood coaster. I am thinking that SV is going to be a little to intense for some parents to want to try with their 48" guest. Twisted Timbers at KD I see as a family coaster, but quite intense. I am not seeing families think the same for SV due to its height alone. They need a good GCI coaster to fill that gap. GCI did that well for my family at KI with MT. :)

• Like 5

A hybrid, Coaster, where ya either start in a very slow cool dark ride and Or end in one. To me as Cedar Point is a leader in Industry, its one of the top destinations, they need Dark Rides. 

Lego land has a great Coaster where ya start in a Dark ride.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Kings Island is not packing people into resorts etc....

Someone please pull up the most recent reliable attendance numbers.   IIRC CP and KI are not all that far apart in raw attendance.  

1 hour ago, Tera Ryzing said:

What's that supposed to mean ghost?

It is bit of an unfair comparison IMO, but I get it.

A former member of this community was just obnoxious with her bashing of GCI when MT was announced.   She was really butthurt that it wasn’t an RMC and just relentless in her attacks and it got really old. I think many here were somewhat dissapointed MT wasn’t an RMC but she just couldn’t let it go and move on.   I found it rather amusing but many others didn’t.  

She was in a whole different class than you...so far.  :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Someone please pull up the most recent reliable attendance numbers.   IIRC CP and KI are not all that far apart in raw attendance.  

It is bit of an unfair comparison IMO, but I get it.

A former member of this community was just obnoxious with her bashing of GCI when MT was announced.   She was really butthurt that it wasn’t an RMC and just relentless in her attacks and it got really old. I think many here were somewhat dissapointed MT wasn’t an RMC but she just couldn’t let it go and move on.   I found it rather amusing but many others didn’t.  

She was in a whole different class than you...so far.  :D

Again Kings Island is not packing people in to onsite resorts.  People spend way more money at CP than KI.  I for one drop more cash on a weekend at the point than I will in my lifetime at KI.

• Like 1