What will be Cedar Point's next coaster?

1 hour ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Again Kings Island is not packing people in to onsite resorts.  People spend way more money at CP than KI.  I for one drop more cash on a weekend at the point than I will in my lifetime at KI.

What does per cap spending have to do with park’s determination of the right mix of rides?   

• Like 3

Again Kings Island is not packing people in to onsite resorts.  People spend way more money at CP than KI.  I for one drop more cash on a weekend at the point than I will in my lifetime at KI.

I didn't realize Cedar Fair placed rides in parks more because of onsite resorts. That must be why we haven't received that Giga Coaster yet because we don't have a resort! I shoulda known ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

I didn't realize Cedar Fair placed rides in parks more because of onsite resorts. That must be why we haven't received that Giga Coaster yet because we don't have a resort! I shoulda known ;-)

Which park has received the most coasters in the chain since the acquisition of paramount parks?  A family of 4 will drop nearly a grand on a weekend trip to the point compared to eating in the parking lot at KI....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

But wait, Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds didn't have resorts when their gigas opened :ph34r: 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Is carowinds not in an area that has potential growth???

It is, but that doesn't dictate its ride decision. Fury 325 was a good start but they need a much better lineup than just three large B&Ms. The rest of their lineup is mediocre in my opinion. The park needs more standout rides that you can't really find at other parks. There's potential for growth but they have a long way to go.

15 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Mason is the largest city in Warren County.

Not to mention that the KI sits along a major highway and pulls from Kentucky, and Indiana as well as Ohio. Like 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

^^ Yeah, what he said! We're huge fans of Great Greats International here!

I feel like I unintentionally started something by posting this... I was poking fun at Tera's use of "GGI" instead of "GCI". I honestly don't care if all of you hate every manufacturer. We're talking about roller coasters, people.

• Like 4

Tera, you do understand this is KICentral, not PointBuzz, correct? 

Yes, sure. Cedar Point and Kings Island target different travelers. Kings Island, as it has been known, seems to focus a lot on the local area. Cedar Point has distinguished itself as a resort property. Taking this into consideration, I am still not sure how amount of resorts = amount of "good" roller coasters. I would actually be to one argue preference over KI's recent additions, not CP's - but that is a pretty bold opinion. 

I think it is important we don't lose sight of the actual topic at hand. Cedar Point's next coaster. I would say it is much too early to even speculate, as anything we say will be mostly bias and come nowhere from fact. Based on what I'd like to see though, I really believe CP needs a family coaster. No, not Jr. Gemini (or whatever it is called now) or Woodstock Express. Something more thrilling than CCMR, but less thrilling than, say, Maverick. It was previously posted on here about a heavily themed coaster like Verbolten - well, sorry to say, that won't be happening. But some sort of family coaster would work very well for CP, as the majority of their coasters are high thrill.  

• Like 6

Which park has received the most coasters in the chain since the acquisition of paramount parks?  A family of 4 will drop nearly a grand on a weekend trip to the point compared to eating in the parking lot at KI....

Out of the parks acquired, Kings Island. Cedar Point is the flagship park...that's to be expected. But that doesn't mean that the coasters they have installed as of late are the absolute best out there and/or of high quality.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

Cedar Point is the flagship park...that's to be expected. But that doesn't mean that the coasters they have installed as of late are the absolute best out there and/or of high quality.

I agree 100%. Since the acquisition of the Paramount parks, I feel like Cedar Point toned it down a touch and started to focus on reliability over perfection, (with the exception of Steel Vengeance). Rides like GateKeeper, Rougarou, and Valravn might be a step down from TTD, Maverick, and Millennium Force, but they're still thrilling rides. With the exception of TTD, MF, and MV, I still consider KI to have better quality when it comes to their rides where CP more or less focuses on quantity.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Kings Island is not packing people into resorts etc....

3 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

This says nothing. Most people who go to KI are from the tristate area. Its not a resort destination like Cedar Point is. If they need a resort GWL is right there. 

• Like 4

I'd narrow it down to a GCI or a flying coaster.   They practically have every coaster type there, so a B&M flyer makes sense, but they could use another traditional wooden coaster as well.  I feel its a bit odd doing a GCI right after a RMC rehab.   I would think something family oriented since every coaster CP has installed since 2000 has been for the high thrill crowd including 2 massive B&M coasters nearly built one right after another.   Iron Dragon needs something to compliment it with how its run during its VR hours.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

How are B&M Flyers with capacity?  Being a people eater is certainly a top priority even if it hasn’t always worked out that way.  

Tatsu has the highest capacity at 1,600 ppl/hr which is slightly lower than Diamondback and slightly higher than Millennium Force.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JubJester said:

This says nothing. Most people who go to KI are from the tristate area. Its not a resort destination like Cedar Point is. If they need a resort GWL is right there. 

The point exactly.  Besides admission guest don't spend nearly as much money.  Why install a 35 million dollar coaster if it won't drive revenue?  Look at NASCAR, sponsors are dropping like flies due to low return on investment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

The point exactly.  Besides admission guest don't spend nearly as much money.  Why install a 35 million dollar coaster if it won't drive revenue?  Look at NASCAR, sponsors are dropping like flies due to low return on investment.

That's not what we're talking about at all! Were taking about your ridiculous statement of GCIs.

I've gone over this conversation already with you, so don't change the subject here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JubJester said:

That's not what we're talking about at all! Were taking about your ridiculous statement of GCIs.

I've gone over this conversation already with you, so don't change the subject here.

That is exactly the point of smaller and less per guest spending parks getting GCI's while CP gets more expensive coasters.  Why Carowinds got a 35-40 million coaster...

• Like 1

^Could you provide evidence of a park along Cedar Point's caliber that spent a little less on a coaster like a GCI and had a substantial drop in attendance?  You're talking like its happened before or is some sort of trend. 

Because Alton Towers, Europa Park, SFMM, BGW and BGT weren't afraid to invest in a GCI and they're hardly what I'd consider smaller parks.   Granted, BGT did close theirs, but that hardly negates my point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^Could you provide evidence of a park along Cedar Point's caliber that spent a little less on a coaster like a GCI and had a substantial drop in attendance?  You're talking like its happened before or is some sort of trend. 

Because Alton Towers, Europa Park, SFMM, BGW and BGT weren't afraid to invest in a GCI and they're hardly what I'd consider smaller parks.   Granted, BGT did close theirs, but that hardly negates my point.  

Never said it would lower attendance.  Again, when cp adds an attraction guest spend more money there.  Lodging, food(to much effort to go offsite, etc.  KI adds an attraction guest don't spend much besides admission.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

That is exactly the point of smaller and less per guest spending parks getting GCI's while CP gets more expensive coasters.  Why Carowinds got a 35-40 million coaster...

First, it was 30 million. It has nothing to do with bigger parks. Kings Island is a big park and got one (once again). Six Flags Magic Mountain has one. You just can't say that's the reason. Maybe Cedar Point will get a 25 million GCI....

• Like 1

Just now, JubJester said:

First, it was 30 million. It has nothing to do with bigger parks. Kings Island is a big park and got one (once again). Six Flags Magic Mountain has one. You just can't say that's the reason. Maybe Cedar Point will get a 25 million GCI....

Just standard economics.  Look at the price of attractions Disney gets.  

• Like 1

Cedar_Point_Pipe_Scream_sign_with_ride_(

4 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

Just standard economics.  Look at the price of attractions Disney gets.  

Yeah, Disney spent a Billion Dollars on Avatar land. Great example...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fryoj said:

Cedar_Point_Pipe_Scream_sign_with_ride_(

Yeah, Disney spent a Billion Dollars on Avatar land. Great example...

Don’t pay attention to him/her. Every post they have made on this forum was written with the sole purpose of angering people. I think it is safe to say they are a troll.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Don’t pay attention to him/her. Every post they have made on this forum was written with the sole purpose of angering people. I think it is safe to say they are a troll.

Yeah. I like to poke trolls. 

• Like 2