How good is Mystic Timbers?

Logan

Hey all.

It’s been about 2 years since my last visit to KI. I live in Indy and am going to try to go down for opening day. How good is MT? I know about the shed being lame and the ride being quite good, but how does it compare to other woodies like those at Holiday World?

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you're asking. If you've never been on it, and your coming.. Then I'd say it's at least good enough to try it and decide for yourself. Are you honestly considering not even trying it if people in this forum said it was "not good"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chuck norris said:

I'm not sure why you're asking. If you've never been on it, and your coming.. Then I'd say it's at least good enough to try it and decide for yourself. Are you honestly considering not even trying it if people in this forum said it was "not good"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all, just wanting opinions. If it’s really good I’ll definitely try to go on it first. Plus, who doesn’t want to get hyped for a good ride ;)

• Like 2

Having ridden all 3 of Holiday World's wooden coasters (though it was in 2013 most recently) and Mystic Timbers, I think I can give some advice. Mystic Timbers, IMO, is excellent and very much worth riding, though of the 4 wooden coasters mentioned I would take Legend over it (I am one of a small handful of people who adores Legend). Mystic Timbers is a lot smoother than anything wooden at Holiday World though, and is more focused on airtime than laterals than at least Raven & Legend, as it has 13 moments of airtime instead of the 3-5 found on Raven & Legend (though the 5th drops on those coasters from the rear car have very strong airtime). The best way I can think to describe Mystic Timbers- imagine Legend's curved first drop, minus the tunnel, is followed up by Voyage's post triple down section (lots of twists and turns and small bunny hills) but with more consistent airtime (on my Voyage rides I took, I sometimes got airtime in that section, sometimes not) and a LOT smoother. The shed is a bit cheesy, but it has grown on me as I re-ride Mystic Timbers. I actually hope to get the 3rd ending this year (I got 2 of the 3 in 2017, unless they add more for 2018). Also the Millennium Flyer trains are MUCH more comfortable, IMO, than the PTC trains used on the Holiday World woodies or the other KI woodies.

Expect a decent wait at LEAST, though, if you are going opening day. Mystic Timbers is a ride that appeals very well to families, thrill seekers, and kids who are working their way up from Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster alike and while it does run 3 trains and have decent capacity (the ride crew typically does a good job so at least the line moves), it is popular enough to get huge lines (I went one day last year, and while everything else was a walk-on Mystic Timbers was 30 minutes!). I would try to get to Mystic Timbers as early in the day as possible, before the line can build up, but it is also on ERT usually so you may still have to wait at least for those people. Opening Day, if the weather is nice, also usually gets big crowds so if that is the case, expect a wait for Mystic Timbers.

• Like 2

Its a good ride.  Definitely re-ridable.  Like McSalsa said, it gets crowded quickly, but they do load the trains fully and very rarely did I see a lot of waits.

As for the shed, its fun and there is always something new to see.  Worst case, you are out of the weather if it is raining.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McSalsa said:

Having ridden all 3 of Holiday World's wooden coasters (though it was in 2013 most recently) and Mystic Timbers, I think I can give some advice. Mystic Timbers, IMO, is excellent and very much worth riding, though of the 4 wooden coasters mentioned I would take Legend over it (I am one of a small handful of people who adores Legend). Mystic Timbers is a lot smoother than anything wooden at Holiday World though, and is more focused on airtime than laterals than at least Raven & Legend, as it has 13 moments of airtime instead of the 3-5 found on Raven & Legend (though the 5th drops on those coasters from the rear car have very strong airtime). The best way I can think to describe Mystic Timbers- imagine Legend's curved first drop, minus the tunnel, is followed up by Voyage's post triple down section (lots of twists and turns and small bunny hills) but with more consistent airtime (on my Voyage rides I took, I sometimes got airtime in that section, sometimes not) and a LOT smoother. The shed is a bit cheesy, but it has grown on me as I re-ride Mystic Timbers. I actually hope to get the 3rd ending this year (I got 2 of the 3 in 2017, unless they add more for 2018). Also the Millennium Flyer trains are MUCH more comfortable, IMO, than the PTC trains used on the Holiday World woodies or the other KI woodies.

Expect a decent wait at LEAST, though, if you are going opening day. Mystic Timbers is a ride that appeals very well to families, thrill seekers, and kids who are working their way up from Adventure Express and Backlot Stunt Coaster alike and while it does run 3 trains and have decent capacity (the ride crew typically does a good job so at least the line moves), it is popular enough to get huge lines (I went one day last year, and while everything else was a walk-on Mystic Timbers was 30 minutes!). I would try to get to Mystic Timbers as early in the day as possible, before the line can build up, but it is also on ERT usually so you may still have to wait at least for those people. Opening Day, if the weather is nice, also usually gets big crowds so if that is the case, expect a wait for Mystic Timbers.

Thanks, that was very helpful! One thing I do disagree on is the PTC trains. I love getting thrown up into the air (I'm a small guy) a few inches because the buzz bars don't go down all the way. However, my favorite all-time coaster is Twisted Colossus, so it must not impact me too much.

• Like 1

Mystic Timbers is one of my favorite coasters at KI.  Yes the shed is cheesy but I do appreciate the theming that is there and it is better than sitting on the break run in the sun.  As far as GCIs go I do like Thunderhead better.  Having been to Holiday World, I like Mystic better than all of their woodies except Voyage (which is in my top 3 favorite coasters).  The Millennium Flyer trains are fantastic, all woodies should have these trains!  One thing to remember is the station for Mystic is "loose article free".  In other words leave your bags and souvenir cups in a locker or with a non-rider.

• Like 2

So, Mystic Timbers is great and certainly better than Raven. Legend and Voyage are harder to compare to MT because all 3 coasters have different foci (MT focuses on twisty airtime while Legend focuses on laterals and Voyage is aggressive). MT's shed is nice, but don't hype it up too much or you may get let down. Otherwise, enjoy your ride! :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goettablitz said:

Mystic Timbers is one of my favorite coasters at KI.  Yes the shed is cheesy but I do appreciate the theming that is there and it is better than sitting on the break run in the sun.  As far as GCIs go I do like Thunderhead better.  Having been to Holiday World, I like Mystic better than all of their woodies except Voyage (which is in my top 3 favorite coasters).  The Millennium Flyer trains are fantastic, all woodies should have these trains!  One thing to remember is the station for Mystic is "loose article free".  In other words leave your bags and souvenir cups in a locker or with a non-rider.

Does this mean the capacity is amazing and the waits are short like Banshee?

• Like 1

I'm not big on ranking coasters against each other, but I've said many times: "if you can't enjoy yourself on Mystic Timbers, I don't think you actually like roller coasters." It may not be the biggest adrenaline rush (although that first drop is pretty exhilarating) but it is Just. So. Fun! From the first drop right through to the last unexpected toss as you turn to enter the shed.

I get why some people don't like the shed, because they overinflated their expectations. But, for me, it's fun, and it's by far the best brake run I've ever waited on. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

But, for me, it's fun, and it's by far the best brake run I've ever waited on. 

Phone derped out on me,  but were you one of us who got stuck in the shed one day last year? The rides ops forgot our train was in there and turned all of the lights on. It was awesome!

• Like 1

If you've been on other GCI's and like what you got out of them, you'll like Mystic Timbers.

If you haven't, here's a rundown of what's in store.

GCI knows how to best make use of their articulated Millennium Flyer design.  And by that, I mean every row is it's own car.  It allows for the various forceful energies (like G forces and things that lead to overall wear and tear) to disperse along the trains more evenly than multi-bench designs like PTC's.  And with that, GCI's courses rarely let up.  You won't find much of any straight track between the lift and final brakes.  I think they take it even further in that they have elements within elements.  What may look like a simple curve may have a sudden drop in the middle or just a subtle change in banking which creates all sorts of surprises within simple elements.   It's full of airtime as well, from a few stronger points like most of the drops after the 2nd drop as well as quick successions of fast paced air time where you go up and down very quickly.  Mystic Timbers also has some mean laterals as well, especially the bottom of the first drop and most of the curves around the tunnel at the far end. There are points where you'll be pinned to the side something fierce.  It's got a decent trick track section right before it rises up to the brakes as well.  That last quick curve into the brakes is pretty forceful (I actually like riding it on the right side entirely for that last curve).   It has a surprising amount of energy and momentum at the end of the ride. 

Now, IMO, it's not my favorite GCI, as I do like Thunderhead and Lightning Racer a bit better (mainly because I prefer GCI's twister layouts over their out and back layouts), but Mystic Timbers is still a great coaster from beginning to end.  The shed, to me, gives it a nice bit of character.  Sure its cheesy, but that's part of why I like it.  

Oh, and if you want some killer air time, the last row is where you want to be.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Phone derped out on me,  but were you one of us who got stuck in the shed one day last year? The rides ops forgot our train was in there and turned all of the lights on. It was awesome!

Nope, I missed out on that one! That would be fun/funny. I have been in the shed long enough at the end of the night on one of the last three trains (because the ride ops had to secure all the seat belts on the now-empty train in the station before they could send it out) to find out what happens if you make it all the way through the song on the radio. It makes a winding down noise, then winds back up and starts again (once it's been the same song, another time it was different).

• Like 5

Mystic Timbers is a blast with how you get some good airtime, a very nice whipping sensation on the first drop in which I think is the best drop GCI has done yet, and excellent laterals especially at the bottom of the turnaround that I've found comparable to the Legend.  As for the shed just have a fun time listening to the music or even singing along with it. 

• Like 2