Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

For those that have used the Ordering Kiosks and have Dinning and and Drink Plans, did it work?   Last year I could never get the Kiosks at CP to accept both plans.  The system would ask if I wanted a drink and then try and charge me full price for it so I ended up needing to engage a cashier anyways.  

This is an assumption on my part but anyone with a Dinning Plan would most likely have the Drink Plan as well and likely want a drink with the meal,

• Like 3

I was pleasantly surprised that ribs were one of the choices with the meal plan. I was impressed how quickly the line went. I loved the corn on the cob. My only negative was the bbq sauce ran out and when they replaced it i saw that it was Sweet Baby Rays, which ik not a huge fan of, but next time i will try mixing it w the Carolina mustard. 

• Like 1

@LuvingKIYou might want to run that one by Guest Services in an email, so they can send that up and get a ruling.   Is your goal to get more food?  

I actually had a similar situation a few years ago with SIX.  I was on the membership plan but bought a regular SP on a sale so both passes and dining plans overlapped for about a month.  Guest Services told me it was perfectly fine to scan into the park, exit the gate and scan right back in on the other passes.   There were a few days we were not hungry for our second meal and ordered 6 chicken strip baskets “to go”.  They were fine with it and even gave me a box to put it all in.   But this was SIX not FUN.

This is sort of oddball so I highly suggest being upfront with your intentions and get a ruling in writing for your protection.  People here can give there opinion and sometimes they are very wrong about what CF management’s policies are. 

• Like 3

Well, it is a fact that some people, for various reasons, have accidentally ended up with multiple drink plans on a single pass, and have been able to use all of them at once. So that should not be an issue.

I would imagine that dining plans might work similarly, but only the park can tell you for sure.

(If I had to guess at why multiple drink plans on one pass are supported, it would be to allow a parent to have one for themselves and one for each of their kids, so that they can control how many sugary drinks the kids get, rather than the older kids having it on their own pass and going crazy with it when off on their own. A similar rationale could potentially be applied to dining plans as well.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@LuvingKIYou might want to run that one by Guest Services in an email, so they can send that up and get a ruling.   Is your goal to get more food?  

I actually had a similar situation a few years ago with SIX.  I was on the membership plan but bought a regular SP on a sale so both passes and dining plans overlapped for about a month.  Guest Services told me it was perfectly fine to scan into the park, exit the gate and scan right back in on the other passes.   There were a few days we were not hungry for our second meal and ordered 6 chicken strip baskets “to go”.  They were fine with it and even gave me a box to put it all in.   But this was SIX not FUN.

This is sort of oddball so I highly suggest being upfront with your intentions and get a ruling in writing for your protection.  People here can give there opinion and sometimes they are very wrong about what CF management’s policies are. 

Thanks, I will. And yeah I just think it would be nice if either my wife or I get hungry we can have the option of two more meals and the extra drink, since the throw away cups are so small

• Like 1

I ate there for both meals yesterday and I really liked it. For lunch I got pulled pork with mac and cheese while I got chicken with coleslaw for dinner. Both meals were really good. The chicken is filling. However, I didn't really care for the mac and cheese. I thought it was dry and bland. But I'm so happy I finally got the meal plan this year. It's well worth it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Melody said:

When we walked by it was packed line out the door. Anyone who went did they have the bacon on a stick shown in that video tour with the chef?

That is available at the Turkey Legs stand next to Starbucks, across from Auntie Anne's.

• Like 2

Just now, Melody said:

Oh awesome I gotta try it next time. Anyone know how much it is?

I only glanced at the (small) menu board as I walked past talking with my mom, so I don't recall for sure. I wanna say $5, but I could be way off on that, so don't assume that's right.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

For those that have used the Ordering Kiosks and have Dinning and and Drink Plans, did it work?   Last year I could never get the Kiosks at CP to accept both plans.  The system would ask if I wanted a drink and then try and charge me full price for it so I ended up needing to engage a cashier anyways.  

This is an assumption on my part but anyone with a Dinning Plan would most likely have the Drink Plan as well and likely want a drink with the meal,

Last year I used the kiosk at Skyline. What I discovered is if you have the drink plan you don't put it as part of your order at the kiosk. What you do is put in  your order for your food and get the receipt for it from the kiosk. After that go to the register and have the cashier scan your pass for the drink plan and they give you your cup there. That's how it worked at Skyline anyway. Hope that helps. It confused me the first time also.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thabto said:

However, I didn't really care for the mac and cheese. I thought it was dry and bland. But I'm so happy I finally got the meal plan this year. It's well worth it. 

The taste more resembles a homemade recipe than typical mac & cheese found at restaurants. I really liked it, though my serving was a bit too dry and could have used more cheese. It's much harder to deliver a consistent product when you're using ingredients (eg. natural cheese) that don't mix together easily, especially in the quantities demanded in a theme park setting.

Everything else I got was exceptional. The smoked tri-tip is currently my favorite entrée; the generous portion I received was tender and well-seasoned, and it was obvious from the color that it had been smoked a long time. My favorite side was the baked beans, which are flavored with Coney BBQ pulled pork - very nice if you're ordering a different entrée.

I really like having "real" mac & cheese at the park, so I hope they get the procedure for that perfected!

• Like 1

Ate there twice.

Preview night I had rotisserie chicken and Mac n cheese. The chicken was meh (we ate very late in the evening). But the Mac was a gift from God.

The second night we ate pulled pork and Mac and cheese. The pulled pork was amazing but the Mac had dropped off. It kind of had the feel of leftovers.

Over all I’m still impressed (despite my critiques). The line moved VERY fast. The portions were fair, and the options were plentiful. I know the new chef is very high up on quality control and presentation, so I’m confident that the first weekend hiccups are just that - first weekend problems.

• Like 4

Ya know, I'm feeling impressed so far by the reviews on here about the food offerings. Going to have to try the new Bar b Q joint this summer. A theme park with good food offerings is so often not common, and I'm excited to have it. It will probably be dinner for me though, I'm not into the big lunch meals on hot days!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, malem said:

Hours at each location vary, but the restaurants on International Street generally stay open until the park closes. Festhaus and Reds Hall of Fame Grille usually close an hour before the park does.

Also a lot depends on the crowd. If it's a small crowd many shops/restaurants will close early.

I had Coney BBQ tonight and was very impressed with the meal itself. 

I had the pulled pork with the sidewinder fries. It was pretty good. Had the Carolina Mustard sauce which complemented the sauce well. 

I'll definitely be stopping back in throughout the season. Their other offerings looked amazing!

• Like 1

I thought the food at the Coney BBQ was excellent. This is my first year and first meal on the dining pass, so I don’t have a lot to judge on. We had chicken, sausage and tri tip. I’m terms of BBQ they succeeded where almost every other place in a non BBQ region fails. They seasoned the meat. I would love to know why every BBQ place in ohio fails at this. 

Anyway, I thought the portions were good. I would have appreciated a low carb side like green beans. That’s really my only complaint. We had the fries and max and cheese. Both were much better than normal mass prepared food. 

I look forward to plenty more meals this year!

• Like 1

I went to Coney's bbq on opening day and loved it so much, we decided to go there for lunch and dinner. The first time I had the pulled pork sandwich with the macaroni and cheese. I loved the sandwich so much that when me and my gang went back, I decided to get the pulled pork by itself with the fries. Those fries, I forget what they are, but they were amazing too. I was thinking about getting the beans, but I didn't want to keep farting all day. Next time I go this summer, I will get the beans. Overall I'd say this is a great addition for Kings Island. Now when I go, it's a toss up for me of where I want to go for food. I love the Reds HOF grille and always thought they had decent food for the money. I don't have a favorite in there, but I love everything that I've tried so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Ate there twice.

Preview night I had rotisserie chicken and Mac n cheese. The chicken was meh (we ate very late in the evening). But the Mac was a gift from God.

The second night we ate pulled pork and Mac and cheese. The pulled pork was amazing but the Mac had dropped off. It kind of had the feel of leftovers.

Over all I’m still impressed (despite my critiques). The line moved VERY fast. The portions were fair, and the options were plentiful. I know the new chef is very high up on quality control and presentation, so I’m confident that the first weekend hiccups are just that - first weekend problems.

The real test will be if they can keep that up consistently, or at least do so on weekends while also adjusting with much slower weekday shifts. 

I'll get my turn this Friday. 

• Like 2