Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

We had coney bbq on preview night, we liked it but there seemed to be inconsistency in portion sizes, my pulled pork was really small compared to others.

The new burger at Reds my husband and I both loved, nice surprise that the BBQ sauce is Montgomery Inn.

I loved the new chicken at Hank's. We went there this past Saturday around 630p, we waited in line over an hour, it was so ridiculous. They had 1 person on the line assembling the burritos, saw one employee all she did was stand waiting to cut more chicken which was about once every 10 minutes. Does anyone think because they are promoting coney bbq so heavily that some of the other places are being short staffed?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, harmony29 said:

We had coney bbq on preview night, we liked it but there seemed to be inconsistency in portion sizes, my pulled pork was really small compared to others.

The new burger at Reds my husband and I both loved, nice surprise that the BBQ sauce is Montgomery Inn.

I loved the new chicken at Hank's. We went there this past Saturday around 630p, we waited in line over an hour, it was so ridiculous. They had 1 person on the line assembling the burritos, saw one employee all she did was stand waiting to cut more chicken which was about once every 10 minutes. Does anyone think because they are promoting coney bbq so heavily that some of the other places are being short staffed?

I ate at Coney BBQ, panda express and larosas twice this weekend, stayed at hotel Saturday night and those four meals was all I had besides Gigis cupcakes in mason and got home yesterday with severe stomach bug.  The larosas by The Beast my wife and I agreed tasted really funny.. I can't say I got sick from any of the food, could of just been touching stuff through out the weekend.. I am from now on packing hand sanitizer in my pocket when I go

I had the Pork Sandwhich at BBQ and wouldn't say it was huge, but it was good sized I guess. My wife had the chicken which seemed like a very generous portion

43 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I ate at Coney BBQ, panda express and larosas twice this weekend, stayed at hotel Saturday night and those four meals was all I had besides Gigis cupcakes in mason and got home yesterday with severe stomach bug.  The larosas by The Beast my wife and I agreed tasted really funny.. I can't say I got sick from any of the food, could of just been touching stuff through out the weekend.. I am from now on packing hand sanitizer in my pocket when I go

I had the Pork Sandwhich at BBQ and wouldn't say it was huge, but it was good sized I guess. My wife had the chicken which seemed like a very generous portion

Sorry you got suck. Omg Gigi's I didn't know there was one in Mason, I love them, probably good thing I didn't with being diabetic. I think from opening weekend and last weekend our biggest portion was at Hank's, that burrito was massive, which I remember from 2016, we ate there once last year and they refused to make a burrito only a bowl and it just wasn't good. I really love that there are more options this year, although I stay away from LaRosas except possibly a salad, I just don't care for the pizza at the park. Hope you are feeling better!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

Sorry you got suck. Omg Gigi's I didn't know there was one in Mason, I love them, probably good thing I didn't with being diabetic. I think from opening weekend and last weekend our biggest portion was at Hank's, that burrito was massive, which I remember from 2016, we ate there once last year and they refused to make a burrito only a bowl and it just wasn't good. I really love that there are more options this year, although I stay away from LaRosas except possibly a salad, I just don't care for the pizza at the park. Hope you are feeling better!

Thanks I am a little better. that was our first time having Gigi's.. We was craving something sweet and typed in bakeries local to where we was and found it.. It was good, kinda expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LuvingKI said:

Thanks I am a little better. that was our first time having Gigi's.. We was craving something sweet and typed in bakeries local to where we was and found it.. It was good, kinda expensive.

Yep quite expensive, I lived across from one in Michigan and my mom was always in there buying for us lol.

• Like 1

Overall food service this past Sunday was great! This is our first year with the meal plan and I can say with certainty that it was the best decision for us! It was such a good feeling to know that my boys and I could all get what we wanted and eat at the same time...then be done and go on with our business. For lunch, we ate at Festhaus - boys had pizza and I had a burger. Everything was good, very fresh! For dinner, we did Coney BBQ - my youngest and I had the chicken - gigantic portion! We both loved it. My older son had the sausace - again, huge portion but it was a little salty. He ended up sharing our chicken but also loved it. Mac and Cheese was okay - nothing to write home about. We saw Chef Majors a couple of times, roaming around the park. I was very impressed! 

We also met up with some friends of ours who were eating at Reds and all of their food looked delicious! Can't wait to give it a try next time. 

• Like 2

2 bones is a one-ticket snack at CP brew and bbq. Full plate is much more (6). Sounds like adjustments are in order at KI.

Portions were larger this past weekend than they eye opening weekend, Saturday afternoon... I'm wondering if by last Saturday afternoon, with the private event Sunday, they were rationing out portions to try to stretch it to the end of the weekend? I wasn't happy, but it seems to have been fixed last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

Portions were larger this past weekend than they eye opening weekend, Saturday afternoon... I'm wondering if by last Saturday afternoon, with the private event Sunday, they were rationing out portions to try to stretch it to the end of the weekend? I wasn't happy, but it seems to have been fixed last weekend.

Rationing our portions is fine at the family dinner table but not for paying customers.   Better to simply stop serving and send people to the other food options.  I certainly hope it was a training issue and not a poor management decision. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Rationing our portions is fine at the family dinner table but not for paying customers.   Better to simply stop serving and send people to the other food options.  I certainly hope it was a training issue and not a poor management decision. 

I somehow doubt it was about rationing. If there is a true, full scale change to the portions or offerings then it was a decision based on guest feedback. 

See also: Panda Express. People got 2 entrees until this year in which it was switched to 1. I’m not sure when it was changed back to 2 entrees, but it was done quickly - either people on preview night weren’t happy or they correctly predicted that people wouldn’t be happy, so they changed it before the park opened.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I somehow doubt it was about rationing. If there is a true, full scale change to the portions or offerings then it was a decision based on guest feedback. 

See also: Panda Express. People got 2 entrees until this year in which it was switched to 1. I’m not sure when it was changed back to 2 entrees, but it was done quickly - either people on preview night weren’t happy or they correctly predicted that people wouldn’t be happy, so they changed it before the park opened.

BBE7282A-5D6F-40C4-9F48-A78AF9B1860F.jpeg

• Like 1

This is our 2nd year w the dining plan, for my husband and I it's been a great decision. It's given us the freedom to come when we want and not have to worry about not having money to spend, we've yet to spend anything except for our passes. The one negative I had was at Winterfest I wish the buffet would have been an upcharge, we really wanted to go but knowing we had the meal plan I couldn't justify spending more money .

• Like 1

I know I've mentioned it before, but I have always really liked the blue ice cream on dollar days, not just because of the price but because they are smaller than the towers of soft serve that you can get the rest of the season. I've often wished I could pay a somewhat reduced price for not quite so much ice cream. Somebody must have listened!

We stopped by the location in Planet Snoopy because the people I was with wanted to get some ice cream. The young man behind the register asked if they wanted child sized or regular. The child sized isn't on the menu board, but apparently is available on the register, and it costs about $3.50 with passholder discount (regular is about $5.50). I had to get some too once I found out I could finally get a reduced size for reduced cost :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

Had the ribs and corn last night.  Very impressed with both.  The corn was extremely tender and juicy.  Getting a hushpuppy on the plate was a nice surprise too.

The ribs show 250 calories on the board.  Did they increase the portion size or you still get 2?  

• Like 1

Chef Nathan introduced me to Chef Major yesterday. Very nice guy! He thanked me for my feedback with the Reds thing I mentioned before.

Also, had the pulled pork, mac, and hush puppy right at opening. It was really good. Came back right before closing and got the same thing (they didn’t offer the hush puppy for some reason this time). It was also very fresh and good. A big improvement over the last few times.

When do they close the doors of this place? I know most restaurants close an hour before the park, but they were still open around 9:15 when I was done eating. Is this typical now?