Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

Friday we saw inconsistent portions again. My husband and I both had ribs and those were the same but pulled pork it's different it seems for every person. I did try mixing the Carolina mustard w the sweet baby Ray's and that was much better. Yesterday we had Reds and I was disappointed. The hamburger was way over cooked and cheese was not melted nor did it ever melt. The chips were ice cold. Maybe once there's more staff for the locations quality will be better. Seems like Hank's has long lines this year when it's open. Last Sat it was an hour wait but there was only 1 person assembling. Same line last night but went much quicker with 3 people at the counter.

On 4/29/2018 at 1:52 PM, harmony29 said:

Friday we saw inconsistent portions again. My husband and I both had ribs and those were the same but pulled pork it's different it seems for every person. I did try mixing the Carolina mustard w the sweet baby Ray's and that was much better. Yesterday we had Reds and I was disappointed. The hamburger was way over cooked and cheese was not melted nor did it ever melt. The chips were ice cold. Maybe once there's more staff for the locations quality will be better. Seems like Hank's has long lines this year when it's open. Last Sat it was an hour wait but there was only 1 person assembling. Same line last night but went much quicker with 3 people at the counter.

I had a similar experience at Reds.  They are making attempts to fix the problems, but it seems like it's not quite there yet.

If you email KingsIslandGS@visitkingsisland.com it would be a good way to communicate your experience to the park.  I do believe that they are working on the issues, but I think the more feedback, the better.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 1:55 PM, Tera Ryzing said:

It is what it is.  What do you really expect from seasonal help.

Well when you are paying hard earned money for your food you expect half way decent help and food. I was lienient preview night and that weekend but we are going into the 4th weekend and they should have those kinks worked out. Not sure if you are being sarcastic or what but if I spend a penny I deserve decent service, this is not being entitled just what any customer would expect.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I had a similar experience at Reds.  They are making attempts to fix the problems, but it seems like it's not quite there yet.

If you email KingsIslandGS@visitkingsisland.com it would be a good way to communicate your experience to the park.  I do believe that they are working on the issues, but I think the more feedback, the better.

I will do that tonight, thanks!

5 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

That is so weird. I got some a little after they opened and it was tasty IMG_8847.JPG

The problem, at least IMO, is that the minute the meat is removed from the heat lamps it begins to cool. Waiting any length of time to "check out" allows the meat to cool even further which results in the dry, tough texture that I and a few others have reported.  

Edit : I should note that I've encountered this myself when I was learning to smoke meat. I dropped by guest services Friday and got the email of the VP of food and beverage and I intend to email him with my observations.  

• Like 1

This is what my chopped brisket looked like today.  That definitely looks more like chopped brisket than what I received yesterday.  It even looks different from what Liz and I got yesterday

It still dries out super fast but it's definitely chopped and not shredded.

FF3924FF-1C1D-47B8-970F-F2E24090C627.jpeg

Edited by Rallyomalley
Edited to change day of Liz's meal from today to yesterday.
  • Like 4

Brisket is a very tough piece of meat and must be sliced against the grain.  If it it is shredded or sliced into long fibers the texture is really off and it just tastes really weird.  It gets a little complicated with a full packer cut becuase towards the deckle (point) it splits into two muscles with the fibers running a different way.  So you have to separate it and turn one section to getting he fibers running the same direction.   An easy mistake if one is new to it.  

• Like 4