Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

3 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I have noticed almost every time we get a drink we can only get 2 or 3 ice cubes and there is a pile of ice in tray of the machine.  I guess people are just jerks and fill the cups up and dump the ice out?

I have definitely seen that. Part of the reason why the lines for drink refills take forever....folks fill their cup with ice and then a drink to then decided the don't want it to then dump it out. Then they start the process all over again. 

• Like 1

Of the four parks visited thus far this season (KI, KD, CP, and Carowinds) KI has so far had the worst food/drink service - no drink stands open or non-functional, food outages, and a super slow micros cash register system that needs to be replaced.  Will see if KI makes any changes since still early in the season and hope KI is closely monitoring these issues - Hats off to Carowinds for the best food/drink service I have ever had at a CF park.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

Of the four parks visited thus far this season (KI, KD, CP, and Carowinds) KI has so far had the worst food/drink service - no drink stands open or non-functional, food outages, and a super slow micros cash register system that needs to be replaced.  Will see if KI makes any changes since still early in the season and hope KI is closely monitoring these issues - Hats off to Carowinds for the best food/drink service I have ever had at a CF park.

Out of my 4 visits to the park this season, two drink stands have been closed each of my four visits. 

I totally agree, Micros needs to be replaced (sooner rather than later). I have not experienced food outages (although I know some who have), from what I've seen through my friends who have experienced it they have visited toward the end of the night, so I can understand in a way that there is a shortage of food (the crowds coming for food that night can be unpredictable and can/will create food waste which does add up night after night). 

The biggest thing I can suggest is that folks need to let guest services know their irritations with the lack of service (fulfillment) from the food and beverage department. Some will say it does no good, but they at least track the complaints enough to see that there is an actual issue. 

• Like 2

Glad to hear that when my friend and I visit on Friday, we can leave, get a cheaper and better meal, and come back faster than we'd get our food otherwise.
It's not always as bad as some have reported. Now it has been bad at times but in our 10 visits this year we have always found what we need. It seems the busier it gets the worse it gets

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Portions were good on Sunday at Coney BBQ. I got the rotisserie chicken and was a little dry compared to other times. We ate a chicken shack for dinner and the tenders were 1/2 the size there were last time. I hope that was just a fluke. If you use the kiosks and get your drink while you wait the time seems to not be bad.   

Most of the drink stands were not open in the morning which, on a hot day like yesterday was not a good idea. That made the few that were open very long lines. The Coke freestyle station in Coney seemed not ready. The drinks were hot and very limited on the selections for most were out. The A/C in there was 2-9 all day. I felt bad for the girl working in there in the heat. I wish when they added the extra machines in there they would have added just some more regular fountains for those that don't want a freestyle drink to get you drink and get out. The negative to freestyle (although awesome)  is there are to many selections when you are trying to get people through quickly.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

As much as I like the Freestyle machines, I don't think they're the best choice for a theme park setting. 

They only need to look to Santa Claus, IN to see how drink stations are properly done, even if KI charges drinks.  

I agree 100%. I feel like only a small portion of people opt for the diet mango peach Mello Yello Zero, while the others spend 4x as long trying to figure out how to get a Coke.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I completely agree on the Freestyles, and not just for an amusement park, but even at normal restaurants. If a restaurant is busy and there's only one (which is typical), it can make for a pretty long line. Plus there's usually not that much room for a long line at the machine. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brendan71388 said:

I completely agree on the Freestyles, and not just for an amusement park, but even at normal restaurants. If a restaurant is busy and there's only one (which is typical), it can make for a pretty long line. Plus there's usually not that much room for a long line at the machine. 

There are lots of problems with Freestyle machines the two biggest are not stocking the ice and flavors.   If the machine is half out it can take forever to find something you want and it is nearly useless if out of ice.   

However by far the biggest problem is just not having enough fountain stands open and not having one at all in Action Zone.  6 major attractions in one confined area an no drink stand.  Boggles my mind.  

I actually feel that are a great addition to any park in that they offer those who don’t want high fructose corn syrup more than 2 options. (Diet Coke and Coke Zero) like there is a big difference between the two.  

6 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

I have been happy with Kings Islands food service this season.  

Why am I not surprised by that? 

Edited by King Ding Dong
  • Like 2

Soda machines use the ice to cool the water.  So when they are out of ice you end up with warm beverages.

I am pretty confident the Coney Mall Coke freestyle location does not have air conditioning. It has two large ceiling fans, which was fine until Winterfest when the front was walled in and doors were added.  The building has six ice makers all generating heat which is likely why it is getting so hot.  The other problem is the ice machines cannot keep up with demand.  I think the best sollution to the ice issue is a pair of dedicated ice maker/dispensers.

I only have time to visit on Saturday and Sunday, I was at the park this last Sunday and I found the food service good but that the drink refill stations started closing around 4 PM.  So far I think food service has seen a huge improvement over last year, overall I have been happy.

What I have heard is that the underlying issue is the same as last year the park was not able to hire enough employees for this early part of the season.  The park is willing to give people as many hours as they are willing to work but they just do not have enough people to work every shift which is available.  I have heard it will be better once school gets out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

As much as I like the Freestyle machines, I don't think they're the best choice for a theme park setting. 

They only need to look to Santa Claus, IN to see how drink stations are properly done, even if KI charges drinks.  

What about those who want to drink non-soda items? I don't drink soda, but don't want tea or tap water every time. What options would be available with the traditional soda machines that would be friendly to those who don't drink soda? 

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Why am I not surprised by that? 

I'm satisfied with the food service that I've received at the park so far this year...so......

• Like 1

^The non-Freestyle drink stations as well as all the stands still offer Powerade and/or lemonade.   I have to avoid pop at the park (though I might have a Coke or some other pop for dinner when it starts to get cooler) as well and get by on those just fine. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^The non-Freestyle drink stations as well as all the stands still offer Powerade and/or lemonade.   I have to avoid pop at the park (though I might have a Coke or some other pop for dinner when it starts to get cooler) as well and get by on those just fine. 

While I like the Lemonade it is just as bad for you as Coke.  Both use high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener and have almost identical calorie counts.  I still hope to see the Minute Maid Light Lemonade in the soda fountains at some point.  But no luck so far.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

They don't offer Powerade Zero or the different flavors for it. The lemonade offered as Kenban says below, is not the best for you. When you visit the food stands that have the standard Coke Machines, your options are limited, especially in the non-soda route. For example, I cannot get a drink if I do not want water at Panda Express....why? There isn't even tea/lemonade/powerade. I either have to get my drink at the Freestyle Station in Oktoberfest or grab a high fructose corn syrup drink at Festhaus or Chicken Shack. 

3 minutes ago, Kenban said:

While I like the Lemonade it is just as bad for you as Coke.  Both use high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener and have almost identical calorie counts.  I still hope to see the Minute Maid Light Lemonade in the soda fountains at some point.  But no luck so far.

• Like 1

Look, you're going to have to take away some features for this to be more efficient for the food lines.  I'm trying to compromise between variety and speed/efficiency here.  It isn't going to be perfect, but it would be an improvement.  

I'm not going to nitpick every little detail about what's being taken away.  

• Like 1

Not everyone sees it as a problem though and when you take away options (especially somewhat healthier options) for those who have purchased the drink plan that becomes an issue. 

That's like saying they are going to take Reds off the dining plan because it gets a long line and busy. It's not as efficient. Those of us who saw when we signed up (even though they state dining locations and options are subject to change) that it was on the dining plan would then have less than what we were originally offered, likely without replacement. That's not okay nor is it good for business.

They could take out all soda machines and just leave water fountains with cups next to them and the lines would still be long as heck. You're dealing with the general public. Those of us who visit numerous times a year become pros at it, but there is always a learning curve for those who are first time visitors, older folks, younger folks. You have people that go to drive thru's for fast food restaurants that they have been to thousands of times and you still get stuck behind them because they can't decide what they want to order or their passengers don't know yet. Should they take out drive-thrus because of the long lines/efficiency and folks expectations of immediate gratification? 

I get that there have been issues with food and beverage service at KI....but the answer isn't to punish those who do it right by taking things away. The answer isn't to make it harder for anyone. The moment it becomes harder to obtain what's paid for (dining/drink plans) the quicker the park will see more folks leaving the park for food (thus spending less $ in the park) or in general. Which I could see having pricing dramatically increase for those of us who want to continue using those plans. 

It's like the people who refuse to buy the dining plan until the service improves, they are still standing in line and still paying out of pocket for food. It just doesn't make sense.

I've always been a supporter of making your voice heard. You pay for this stuff as a pass holder, dining plan purchaser and drink plan purchaser. If this stuff truly bothers you, each time it does....stop in at guest services and make a complaint. Simply voicing it online doesn't exactly help because you aren't taking your time to bring it up when the issue has happened, you wait until you are home and go behind a keyboard to make the complaint. If it wasn't worth your time in park to make a complaint then it's not worth their time to hear about it. 

• Like 2

One hole I don't want people to fall into is having a bad experience on a Saturday, then it's okay the next Tuesday so the problem is fixed.

Things that are easy are:

-Food quality on slow days

-Opening new restaurants

-Reconfiguring things like queues and Coke machines for efficency

-Adding new options

-Making promises

Things that are NOT easy are:

-Having good food quality when the park is busy

-Maintaining a clean and sanitary kitchen and eating area when the park is busy

-Serving people in a reasonable amount of time when the lines are long

-Ensuring that portions and offerings are consistent throughout all employees 

I think anyone can tell you how to do the easy stuff, but I couldn't begin to tell you how to do the hard stuff.  I'm not an expert in this, but I do expect them to be.

For the record, I do not want you to interpret my words as a rag on the hard working line level employees.  Whatever they make now isn't enough.  I feel like they are soldiers that are marched out into the line of fire armed only with rocks and sticks.

Just my take.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The one true thing I'd like to see with Food and Beverage that I think would help solve the line issues are that there'd be dining plan lines and non dining plan lines. 

It's a pain in the butt waiting behind a couple of families who have to fiddle around to get their payment and then pay, to then get their drink cups and then put their change away before leaving the line. I think each restaurant should be able to do this. It may be a bit harder with those who have the kiosks. But I truly think it'd help.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, flightoffear1996 said:

I have noticed almost every time we get a drink we can only get 2 or 3 ice cubes and there is a pile of ice in tray of the machine.  I guess people are just jerks and fill the cups up and dump the ice out?

I like just a tiny bit of ice in my cup, so one burst of ice from the machine is usually more than I want. In that case, I will dump a little bit out. However, I do NOT pour a drink and then dump it back out completely unless there's something wrong with it (e.g. tastes like soda water because the flavor syrup is running out). People who dump out a perfectly good drink because they don't want it are wasting the park's water and drink syrup and my time.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, chugh43 said:

I must just be lucky, I've not waited in line for a meal more than 10-15 minutes this year outside of peak meal times. 

Uh, 10-15 minutes is what I would accept DURING peak meal times. Maybe. In off-peak times, waiting 15 minutes is ridiculous. 5-10 minutes AT MOST is what I would be willing to wait outside of peak hours.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I agree 100%. I feel like only a small portion of people opt for the diet mango peach Mello Yello Zero, while the others spend 4x as long trying to figure out how to get a Coke.

I'm one of that small portion. I love my orange Mello Yello Zero (or orange Seagram's Diet Ginger Ale, if I don't want the caffeine). However, I know exactly how to access it and can do it faster than most people can pour a simple Coke. I get the feeling that the majority of people using the Freestyle machines at the park have never seen one before. I agree with the person above who suggested having the Freestyle machines operated by an employee.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, Cmhornblessed said:

Question, have any of you went in the exit in the festhaus to refill a season pass drink?

I did today. The sign on the gate says souvenir bottle refills, "pre-purchased bottles only", but you can use that gate for the paper cup plan as well. Went smoothly, though with park attendance very light (probably 80% of those at the park were school groups). Will be interesting to see how it works on a busy day.

• Like 1

I imagine everyone has a different opinion on what peak times are.   

My definition would be Lunch 11:30-1:00  Dinner 5:00-7:00.   Does anyone have a different opinion on that?  

I would also be a bit more nuanced than Goble on wait times.   A slice of pizza should be very fast as should some chili on pasta. Ribs/brisket/tritips/pulled pork are not cooked to order so the only delay should be fries.   A bit more time for chicken strips and burgers as they can only sit warming for so long.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I would also be a bit more nuanced than Goble on wait times.   A slice of pizza should be very fast as should some chili on pasta. Ribs/brisket/tritips/pulled pork are not cooked to order so the only delay should be fries.   A bit more time for chicken strips and burgers as they can only sit warming for so long.

Absolutely. I didn't go into more depth because I was packing enough stuff into the post already. :)

The only thing I'll say on the Fresstyle machines is that they're great as a novelty stall with a couple locations. The issue is when they're the only open refill stations or at least the only ones nearby. The park could probably stand to open a few more drink stalls and making them higher priority in terms of staffing. That's not necessarily the best solution, but that'd be my unprofessional one.

• Like 2