Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Hold on there.  The tri tip and brisket are completely different cuts of meat.  In fact they come from different ends of the cow.

The sign said tri tip and the worker said brisket. I honestly don’t know the difference.

The tri tip comes from the bottom part of the loin and is triangular in shape.  The brisket is from essentially the pectoral muscles.   Tri tip can be cooked as a steak and is already a tender pieces of meat but is also frequently smoked and slow cooked to tenderize it further.   Brisket on the other hand is very, very tough with large muscle fibers and must be ground or slow cooked to break down the connective tissue.  Brisket will nearly flake apart if cut against the grain and will be rather chewy if sliced with the grain as I experienced at CP Saturday.  If you have ever boiled spaghetti and not stirred it well enough and it all stuck together as a log is the best I can describe the texture of brisket slice with the grain.  

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The tri tip comes from the bottom bart of the loin I beleive and is triangular in shape.  The brisket is from essentially the pectoral muscles.   Tri tip can be cooked as a steak but is also frequently smoked and slow cooked to tenderize it.   Brisket on the other hand is very, very tough with large muscle fibers and must be ground or slow cooked to break down the connective tissue.  Brisket will nearly flake apart if cut against the grain and will be rather chewy if sliced with the grain as I experienced at CP Saturday.  If you have ever boiled spaghetti and not stirred it well enough and it all stuck together as a log is the best I can describe the texture of brisket slice with the grain.  

If I had to guess based on your description I’d say it was brisket but I’m no expert.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

New flavored water options at the drink stand by DB! 

20180517_163427.jpg

I tried the strawberry and mango together, only thing I think they are not sugar free, which for me is a problem as I'm diabetic. I rely on the freestyle machines and it drives me nuts cause most of the time the one near the train is never open, the 50s diner is always packed and no just drink line so I'm left with the stand near Hank's and unless I'm in that part of the park it's not really convenient.

• Like 1

Did it the other day for WATER refill on the panda side and yelled at by an employee for it. Just curious as to other people's experience.

I did today. The sign on the gate says souvenir bottle refills, "pre-purchased bottles only", but you can use that gate for the paper cup plan as well. Went smoothly, though with park attendance very light (probably 80% of those at the park were school groups). Will be interesting to see how it works on a busy day.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

On my 15th visit to the park this year, which was last night, we finally got to eat at RHOFG. It has not been open for the greatest majority of our visits but last night was the night and....
It was great, line moved fast, food served quickly and it was great. We had the Redlegs burger and chips.

I’m 7 meals in and I finally had a bad meal experience. On Friday I waited in line for 40 minutes to get Panda Express. There were six people working. One making plates. One checking out.  4 standing around. The hold up was with the guy making the plates. Why no one else could help, the world may never know. 

My Lo Mein was burnt and crispy. As were the rangoons. The beef and broccoli was two bites of grizzle and a scoop full of steamed broccoli. The broccoli was good. Everything else was very bad.

is this par for the course, or did I hit it on a bad night?

Deffinately a bad night. Try it again you won't be sorry.

I’m 7 meals in and I finally had a bad meal experience. On Friday I waited in line for 40 minutes to get Panda Express. There were six people working. One making plates. One checking out.  4 standing around. The hold up was with the guy making the plates. Why no one else could help, the world may never know. 
My Lo Mein was burnt and crispy. As were the rangoons. The beef and broccoli was two bites of grizzle and a scoop full of steamed broccoli. The broccoli was good. Everything else was very bad.
is this par for the course, or did I hit it on a bad night?

We've had hit and miss at several restaurants this season. Friday for us was bad all around, we had coney for lunch and the tri tip was awful, dry and no flavor, not anything like our previous trip. The portion sizes were extremely inconsistent, guy in front of us got huge portion of meat, I got 3 slices from the end and they were small. We did reds for dinner and that was a disaster. We both ordered salads, I had the chicken Caesar. Neither was served w dressing, no big deal but annoying. When I looked I realized it was wilted iceberg, my least favorite lettuce and not something I would order. I got a supervisor, he had no idea what I was talking about that there's a difference between romaine and iceberg, well finally got to the bottom of it, they aren't serving romaine because of the recall, makes sense but I wouldn't have ordered it. So I got a cheeseburger instead, came out completely cold, cheese never melted and the chips were also ice cold. Just bad luck as we've had great experiences at both places just not on that day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On May 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM, harmony29 said:

I tried the strawberry and mango together, only thing I think they are not sugar free, which for me is a problem as I'm diabetic. I rely on the freestyle machines and it drives me nuts cause most of the time the one near the train is never open, the 50s diner is always packed and no just drink line so I'm left with the stand near Hank's and unless I'm in that part of the park it's not really convenient.

That's the problem I run into a lot. I found out I was diabetic last year, sorta at the park actually. Diet Coke is all throughout the park, but Freestyle machines give us diabetics a lot more options and control. I always have that fear that in all the chaos, the associate might not hear the word "Diet." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joshua said:

That's the problem I run into a lot. I found out I was diabetic last year, sorta at the park actually. Diet Coke is all throughout the park, but Freestyle machines give us diabetics a lot more options and control. I always have that fear that in all the chaos, the associate might not hear the word "Diet." 

I so understand Joshua. I was diagnosed in October and I was determined I would not be like my mom having to give myself insulin every day. I am a picky drinker, have hated water since I was a baby which does cause some issues, I mainly used to drink soda. Thankfully I have drank diet Coke since my 20s but any other soda regular. Last year my drink of choice was peach fanta but since October I've not touched it, only drinking diet Coke. I'm on quite a bit of medication that makes me have a really dry mouth and soda wasnt cutting it so I tried the Dasani flavored water and to my surprise I loved it! I only had the one small glass cause I thought it had sugar, that is until I looked it up and I was so excited that it was sugar free. The freestyle machines just offer so many more options, I do drink some diet Coke while at the park but I really try to have the flavored water, it gets so frustrating!

But it's not a problem at KI only, 2 weeks ago when we went to Cedar Point, it was the same thing, the savior was the one freestyle machine open was in Frontier Town which is where steel Vengeance and Maverick are and also my fav restaurant Ms. Keets, that saved me.

I'm hoping now that school is out MAYBE KI will open the other machine but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

• Like 1

They have alternated between tri tip and brisket this season, so the potential for confusion exists.

Was it tri tip or brisket actually being served? I personally prefer the leaner tri tip, but the brisket was very good as well.

Tri tip brisket.  SMH.  I had some Friday about 4:30 and it was pretty good with about as much smoke flavor as one could expect from a mild wood like hickory.  

So about 5:30 we stopped back in a second time because Kiefer wanted some sausage.   The line was two rows but was moving rather well and the employees were humming along quit well.  Until they ran out of mac and cheese about 6 orders ahead of us.   They didn’t know what to do and there didn’t seem to be a supervisor there to tell them what to do.  They were all running around with their heads cut off and stopped the whole process for a full 10 minutes until kitchen got them out some mac and cheese.  Seriously, I am not kidding, I timed it on my phone.  They dished up entrees and stuck them under the heat lamp until there was no room for more.   No announcement that they were out of mac and cheese but if you wanted another side they could serve you and send you straight to one of the 3 available cashiers twiddling their thumbs.  Nope, just full e-stop.  Meanwhile the line was spilling out halfway across the midway.  

It was quit comical actually.  

I eventually had a couple of bites of the sausage.   Very good.

• Haha 2

I got really annoyed Friday when we were there, only the one line was open. There was a group of school kids in front of us with their chaperone, well I guess they were so thirsty they just couldn't wait to get up there so they went to the machines that were closed. The chaperone just kept laughing and encouraging it, I swear I wanted to say something so bad but I didn't want to start something. When I got to the cashier I did nicely tell her as the group was at the other register. Just such a wrong example to set for kids but then again I've seen quite a few things this year that have made me shake my head.