Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

How have your experiences been this year at RHOFG? I went Saturday evening and got stale chips. And 2 others in my group had the same while 1 in the group had crunchy chips. 1 in my group had cold food. We let the staff know what was wrong, they said they would address it. I'll give it another chance but one person in the group never wants to go back there again. It was around 8PM and I'm just chalking it up to being near the end of the day for them. I've had good experiences there in the past. I wonder if our experience was just a fluke.

• Like 1

I went there a while back because they have kids meals, and my son really wanted some mac and cheese with green beans.  They were out of both.  He ended up with a hot dog and fries.  He's less than two, so we just convinced him he had been wanting a hot dog.  I get it, they run out of things.

I find the salads to be a bit sub par (unless you only want to eat them for the dressing).  But I really liked the pulled park nachos.

In the end I recognize I am essentially eating fast food that costs 2x more and is made by people not trained in the art of fast food.  I'm not sure what I really expected.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnyPancakes said:

In the end I recognize I am essentially eating fast food that costs 2x more and is made by people not trained in the art of fast food.

Excellent summary of most of the food places in the park.

• Like 2

We had quite sub par food on Friday. It doesn't matter if one person has an awesome experience, the next might not, depending on who prepared the food. I complained about my salad and ended with blank stares from the supervisor who took it back and I instead had an ice cold cheeseburger with chips that were even colder. I'm not very impressed the last 2 weeks with food anywhere.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, harmony29 said:

We had quite sub par food on Friday. It doesn't matter if one person has an awesome experience, the next might not, depending on who prepared the food. I complained about my salad and ended with blank stares from the supervisor who took it back and I instead had an ice cold cheeseburger with chips that were even colder. I'm not very impressed the last 2 weeks with food anywhere.

This is what the people who say "I had good food and service so everything's great" are failing to see. It's a lack of consistency. Just because one person had a great experience one time does not mean there are no problems. Just because you had great service three out of three times in one day does not mean that someone else may have had poor food and poor service three out of three times that same day, even at the same restaurant.

The experiences of one person or a few people, even over an extended time, do not form a representative sample from which generalizations can be made about the overall service. Take ALL of the reviews in this thread, and add them to all of the reviews in the other threads on this subject (such as the "meal deals" thread), and you begin to approach something resembling a representative sample. And that sample says that Kings Island food service is horribly inconsistent at best.

Don't get me wrong here: It's not a bad thing to report when you get good service, because that is a useful data point. The thing you have to remember is that said data point is not representative and must be considered in the context of all of the other data points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

This is what the people who say "I had good food and service so everything's great" are failing to see. It's a lack of consistency. Just because one person had a great experience one time does not mean there are no problems. Just because you had great service three out of three times in one day does not mean that someone else may have had poor food and poor service three out of three times that same day, even at the same restaurant.

The experiences of one person or a few people, even over an extended time, do not form a representative sample from which generalizations can be made about the overall service. Take ALL of the reviews in this thread, and add them to all of the reviews in the other threads on this subject (such as the "meal deals" thread), and you begin to approach something resembling a representative sample. And that sample says that Kings Island food service is horribly inconsistent at best.

Don't get me wrong here: It's not a bad thing to report when you get good service, because that is a useful data point. The thing you have to remember is that said data point is not representative and must be considered in the context of all of the other data points.

I cannot agree more! I was hopeful as the beginning of the season we had excellent food but the last 2 weeks have sucked. I was so anxious for Smokehouse to reopen as that was our favorite last year. We went there Monday and we were pretty disappointed. I didn't get the pulled pork as it looked identical to coney bbq, which just my preference I don't care for, putting out sweet baby Ray's sauce is a real disservice. We got the chicken tenders which had no seasoning whatsoever, I had them 3 weeks ago at chicken shack and they were great. I also made the mistake of getting Mac and cheese, I'm sorry but if this is the new executive chef's recipe, it's horrible, bland with no taste at all. And don't even get me started on Hank's, but im still trying to be hopeful that things will get better.

• Like 2

I have the platinum meal plan so I eat there every time i go.  So far the Coney BBQ has been good.  I've had the queen city sausage and the pulled pork.  Both were really good and they give you plenty of food.  Unfortunately they are always out of the chicken when I go.  The pizza is as greasy and stomach upsetting as always, but that is LaRosa's for you.  The only thing in the park I have not had from this year or last is Hanks.  

13 hours ago, Firehawk44 said:

I have the platinum meal plan so I eat there every time i go.  So far the Coney BBQ has been good.  I've had the queen city sausage and the pulled pork.  Both were really good and they give you plenty of food.  Unfortunately they are always out of the chicken when I go.  The pizza is as greasy and stomach upsetting as always, but that is LaRosa's for you.  The only thing in the park I have not had from this year or last is Hanks.  

I honestly think it depends on the day and who actually prepares your meal. We also have the season long dining plan and eat our meals at the park, we've had good and bad experiences at coney, good and bad at Reds, and yeah LaRosas I just dont care for. I used to loves Hank's but they have had some issues this year, the worst being they don't clean their grill so the chicken has an awful taste.

14 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

At REDS does the waitress take your order and bring you refills, or do you order when you get there, sit down, and get your own refills?  Determining if I need to bring cash for a tip.

Nope. You order up front, you get a number and they bring it to you. No tips neccessary.

I was browsing open jobs at KI out of curiosity, and noticed that they are hiring for a Restaurant Manager for Coney Bar B Que: https://jobs.cedarfair.com/job-detail/8236569/restaurant-manager-coney-bar-b-que-cincinnati-oh/

Did somebody get fired? Seems odd to be hiring for the restaurant manager position for your newest restaurant right AFTER after it opened. The job was posted on April 22, which was the Sunday of the second weekend of park operation. It's not an assistant manager or shift manager position, as it reports directly to Chef Major and the Director of Food and Beverage.

16 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Granola?  What?

It looked so good and something I'm hoping they have on Sunday, I really want to try it. I saw besides the granola, dried cranberries or cherries as well, either one I love.

Island smokehouse had no mac n cheese at 11:30. Said they were out. Went to Coney at 4ish for dinner and no tri tip. Again said they were out.

I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for KI, but was quite disappointed by food service today.  I did not think it would change overnight, but I had hoped the new chef would have started turning things around at this point.

• Like 2

Island smokehouse had no mac n cheese at 11:30. Said they were out. Went to Coney at 4ish for dinner and no tri tip. Again said they were out.
I am one of the biggest cheerleaders for KI, but was quite disappointed by food service today.  I did not think it would change overnight, but I had hoped the new chef would have started turning things around at this point.

We also were at island smokehouse around 11! They didn’t seem to have many good selections out and no chicken fingers. MH got some later and they were way over cooked, the same at reds which was disappointing too. However chicken shack was on point when we went a few weeks ago.

7 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

Just had Coney BBQ. Not sure if the honey moon  is over but it was really subpar. The tri tip a shredded mess and the hush puppies were rocks.  Gonna see if I can run into Chef.

20180610_121158.jpg

20180610_121546.jpg

20180610_121554.jpg

Yikes. That's a hushpuppy? Looks like some kind of chocolate ball with chocolate chips inside