Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

I have to agree, onions and peppers look raw.. I slow cooked sausages today on the grill and put sauteed onions on them.. to be honest I've became almost burnt out on all the KI food unfortunately... but not the rides!! I still say throw a taco bell and McDonalds in KI

• Like 1

At the Reds Grill last night I had the All American Dog and I was very satisfied. Amazing that such a simple hot dog with bacon and cheese could be that good but it really was. Plus plenty of shredded cheese left for sprinkling on my saratoga chips lol.

• Like 2

Coney had some different items today, I got the Texas chopped brisket, have to say it was not very good, extremely dry and just blech. My husband had tri tip and his portion was double the size of mine. It drives me nuts the inconsistency at this place. I did love the cucumber salad again!

20180704_115714.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the island smokehouse in Soak City this week. The pulled pork has been fine, but I was really disappointed with the smoked wings. They are slathered with BBQ sauce so you can't taste any of the "smoke" flavor... Since BBQ sauce is offered to patrons, why do they feel the need to pre cover these?

In general, this location has really degraded in food quality and service... I'm assuming because the focus has been on the new book Coney BBQ location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband tried coney yet again yesterday and had a very subpar meal, very small portion of tri tip and extremely dry, which is why I won't eat here anymore. Usually it works out ok as I go across to Subway, until yesterday, for the first time my sandwich was awful, I have never seen bread like I had, it was beyond stale and just crumbled when I would take a bit. I only ate a couple bites and took it up to guest services will they could see it. While waiting to place my order there was a mother w 5 kids in front of me, with one child that was not behaving very well, he kept pushing up against the window and all of a sudden one of the window panes fell right on top of the food containers on the counter. What floored me was the mom laughed about it and let the kid again lean on the windows, I honestly couldn't believe it.

As for island smokehouse, I went one time and had a horrible meal, will not be trying it again, which is a shame, as last year it was my favorite restaurant.

Since this is my first full season of having platinum passes, is the food situation this bad every year?

I would say for most of us would at best describe the food situation as inconsistent.   Some seem to think everything is just fine all the time and the lines are never long and the food always good even though they go frequently.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Maybe it is just some people’s tastes/standards are different. 

This year I have not experienced any actual food that I thought was bad but I have certainly pointed out some service deficiencies.  But I have only been to KI 4 or so times this season.  

If I did receive something bad (cold, burnt, ridiculously small portion etc.) I would likely try to be as polite as possible and try to take care of the situation right there before running to GS.  If the portion size was to small simply state that I beleive it was much smaller than standard and could I have some more or possible speak to the supervisor. If it was over cooked or something like that and was obvious politely refuse the plate and ask for something else or just leave.   Maybe grab a photo especially if I was met with resistance.  They way I look at it is them handing you a plate is an offer to sell you something and as a consumer I have the right to refuse that offer if it doesn’t meet my standards.   Taking the issue to GS is kind of a last resort because it takes so much time. 

• Like 1

Well I know several times my husband has said something about portion size and it's fallen on deaf ears. I dont know, for some reason the staff seem to not care and really don't want to be there. I understand food service is difficult but a smile or taking an interest in your customer goes far. I did take a pic of my sub, but because of how really bad it was I felt I needed to go to guest services. The staff that day at subway looked like they could have cared less if you were happy or not. I am not someone that just runs to GS, I am in there every visit for a personal reason and I just shake my head at how people treat the staff. If I'm going there about bad food, you know there's a real problem.

I guess it could also be that yesterday was our 20th visit and we've had lunch and dinner every time, so we probably are more likely to have a bad meal. I still love having the season dining plan cause I never have to worry about paying for food and it's paid off ten fold for us. I guess my biggest issue is how much they've promoted coney and it's mid July and the staff still seems to not really have their act together.

• Like 1

I finally tried the option of getting three sides instead of one meat and one side at Coney BBQ yesterday. I'll admit, I was expecting some confusion or hassle, but the young woman working the line knew what I meant, and the young man at the cash register didn't question it (although, to be fair, he had apparently had to ask his supervisor how to ring up my friend who had already gone through with his three sides, but it was his first day on the register).

All season I've wanted to try other sides, but been unwilling to give up my beloved baked sweet potato. Seriously, I have gotten one meal (with sweet potato) for at least 25 of my 32 visits so far this season. That's how much I love it. 

So I was excited when I heard 3 sides on dining was an option but I waited a bit to try it because there were some interesting meats (like blueberry sausage, which was really good) and I was just worried it would be a hassle. 

I got a sweet potato (obvs), and corn on the cob and collard greens. I was pleasantly surprised by the corn, because it seems like every time I've got corn on the cob at a restaurant it has been frozen. I don't know if they're using local corn or not, but it was definitely fresh. Also, it's my first time ever trying collard greens, although I've wanted to. These were really good, with lots of bacon, and a nice amount of spicy BBQ flavoring. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I finally tried the option of getting three sides instead of one meat and one side at Coney BBQ yesterday. I'll admit, I was expecting some confusion or hassle, but the young woman working the line knew what I meant, and the young man at the cash register didn't question it (although, to be fair, he had apparently had to ask his supervisor how to ring up my friend who had already gone through with his three sides, but it was his first day on the register).

All season I've wanted to try other sides, but been unwilling to give up my beloved baked sweet potato. Seriously, I have gotten one meal (with sweet potato) for at least 25 of my 32 visits so far this season. That's how much I love it. 

So I was excited when I heard 3 sides on dining was an option but I waited a bit to try it because there were some interesting meats (like blueberry sausage, which was really good) and I was just worried it would be a hassle. 

I got a sweet potato (obvs), and corn on the cob and collard greens. I was pleasantly surprised by the corn, because it seems like every time I've got corn on the cob at a restaurant it has been frozen. I don't know if they're using local corn or not, but it was definitely fresh. Also, it's my first time ever trying collard greens, although I've wanted to. These were really good, with lots of bacon, and a nice amount of spicy BBQ flavoring. 

Dude... Mac n cheese...

• Like 1

Tried reds fir the first time this season.
Pot my order in at 6:04.
My red legs burger came out at 6:23.
19 minutes for a bacon cheese burger... Which as you can see by the photo was burnt black.

I just don't get it.
Plenty of places serve burgers at the park and manage to not burn them... While getting the burger out in a minute or two (juke box, snoopy grill, fest house la Rosa).

I really expected more from reds, especially after waiting 20 minutes.4f3b5a10da9f822e029d5c220c193ef8.jpg

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Tried reds fir the first time this season.
Pot my order in at 6:04.
My red legs burger came out at 6:23.
19 minutes for a bacon cheese burger... Which as you can see by the photo was burnt black.

I just don't get it.
Plenty of places serve burgers at the park and manage to not burn them... While getting the burger out in a minute or two (juke box, snoopy grill, fest house la Rosa).

I really expected more from reds, especially after waiting 20 minutes.4f3b5a10da9f822e029d5c220c193ef8.jpg

If you had a problem with food quality you should have talked to a supervisor blah blah blah.

I laid out my issues with RHOFG earlier in the season. I emailed the new chef and he said he’d look into it. I gave it a few more chances and the quality didn’t get any better. I don’t know what the deal is. 

On on the other hand, I’ve been consistently very happy with the quality and service of Coney BBQ. Panda has been good as has LaRosa’s for the most part. 

My biggest problems with the food service isn't the food necessarily, or the facilities.  It's the vibe.  Most of the workers perform in a manner consistent with being held against your will.  Not what you're looking for when you've driven hours and spent a considerable about of $$$ to travel to a place that should be a top vacation/fun (no pun intended) destination.  The other vibe killer is the other customers.  I do not possess a food plan (and I don't mean to denigrate those that do), but everyone I'm in line around are singly focused on what they can get on their food plan, instead of conveying a sense that they're enjoying the day at what would be a world-class amusement park.  

• Like 1

Every food place I went to for food or drinks, except Island Paradise and Turkey Leg had international workers.  This was yesterday 7/24/18.  I was shocked that IP was open, so when I saw they had Blue Ice Cream I had to buy something.  I've also been wanting to try bacon on a stick, so I decided to indulge in that as well.  Service was fast and friendly everywhere.  No surly employees.  Smiles and quick service.  I couldn't been happier with my food experience yesterday....except if the bacon had been well done!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jcgoble3 said:

No complaints about portion sizes or quality at Battle Creek BBQ at Worlds of Fun. This stack of delicious brisket is after I ate a few slices. Kansas City definitely knows BBQ. Kings Island needs to step up their BBQ game. f6b90f9baf4dfdb55c92d46ba3c6a320.jpg7489b876f896ec9645e85225bff28a55.jpg

Forget the brisket.  How's their mac n cheese????

No complaints about portion sizes or quality at Battle Creek BBQ at Worlds of Fun. This stack of delicious brisket is after I ate a few slices. Kansas City definitely knows BBQ. Kings Island needs to step up their BBQ game. f6b90f9baf4dfdb55c92d46ba3c6a320.jpg7489b876f896ec9645e85225bff28a55.jpg

I have to agree. You get a HUGE portion of brisket. I was hungry before I ate and was unable to eat it all.

• Like 1

I eat a mostly vegetarian plant-based gluten free diet.  I'm not super strict on myself and choose to indulge from time to time, trust me.  :)  I've discovered some of the more whole options at the park, and I definitely have a favorite. I would like to see more, however, and I feel like the BBQ/Smokehouse would be one of the better areas to put it. 

I don't have a meal plan, but I have eaten a bowl at Hank's once this season.  I found it hard to pay that price for a bowl with no meat, and at double the rate of its out of park counterparts.  I did it sheerly for convenience that day, but it was delicious.  Panda Express' only viable option is plain rice.  I don't think it would be too difficult to do a veggie based dish, even if it was saucy.  The sides at Coney are pretty good;  I can get corn and a sweet potato and fries if I'm feeling froggy.  Island Paradise was open when I was in the park Thursday, and it was on my 2018 bucket list to have a treat from there.  I opted for a half mango half strawberry smoothie.  I was impressed that it actually contained fruit.  It wasn't made with fresh fruit on site, and was very sweet, and VERY refreshing.  @Magenta Lizard and I give it our stamp of approval. 

If I'm eating a meal in the park, which mostly happens on days I'm there open to close, my all time favorite treat is an order of fries from Potato Works.  I love to salt them liberally and then dip them in a hot sauce/ketchup blend.  I've tried the Rosemary Parmesan, but I actually love them plain the best.  I feel like other than corn and sweet potatoes at Coney, it's the closest thing to a whole food in the park.

Has anyone tried the GF pizza in the Festhaus?  I may be open to splurging one day but would like to know if it's worth it. :)