Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

Love to see Coney upping their game still this late in the season.

Today, in addition to the usual,
They had shrimp, bbq wings, BBQ beef sandwiches, & smoked turkey.

I tried the beef sandwich, tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad to hear that, we ate one our way and BBQ beef sandwich sounds yummy right now.

Had the mac bowl today. I was so excited for this, but what a let-down. The mac was dry, and about 1/2 the size from winterfest. When we got done eating we were all still hungry.

Everyone was raving over it at Winterfest, why would you not bring it back with the same quality and quantity you had at Winterfest?

• Like 3

Had the mac bowl today. I was so excited for this, but what a let-down. The mac was dry, and about 1/2 the size from winterfest. When we got done eating we were all still hungry.
Everyone was raving over it at Winterfest, why would you not bring it back with the same quality and quantity you had at Winterfest?

Was the Mac bowl at hanks burrito? Did they already convert that over for winterfest?

6 hours ago, chuck norris said:

BBQ beef sandwiches, & smoked turkey.

I tried the beef sandwich, tasty.

Is that exactly what they called it?  It annoys me to no end when restaurants do that. Just stating things like “BBQ Beef” tells me nothing.  What cut of beef is it?  A cow has so many various muscles that taste completely different I have no way of judging if I want to pay the price or not.   /end rant

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Is that exactly what they called it?  It annoys me to no end when restaurants do that. Just stating things like “BBQ Beef” tells me nothing.  What cut of beef is it?  A cow has so many various muscles that taste completely different I have no way of judging if I want to pay the price or not.   /end rant

At this point do you even want to know what cut of meat it is?

• Haha 1

They called it "burnt ends". When I asked about it, they said it was really just shredded tri tip with a glaze sauce.

It looked good, it tasted good.
If you're interested, just go and see for yourself... Although at this point the day has ended and who knows when they will return.
The post was more for those who have the meal plan, who like me, enjoy trying new offerings as they appear. As well as a way of letting anyone from the park know (if they follow this) that I appreciate the effort.

To be honest, I feel like king ding dong is usually just really vocal about his lack of support for the meal plan... We've heard it, I understand that he doesn't think it's good for him. But I'm not really sure why he follows this thread at all, let alone comments on it.

11 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

They called it "burnt ends". When I asked about it, they said it was really just shredded tri tip with a glaze sauce.

It looked good, it tasted good.
If you're interested, just go and see for yourself... Although at this point the day has ended and who knows when they will return.
The post was more for those who have the meal plan, who like me, enjoy trying new offerings as they appear. As well as a way of letting anyone from the park know (if they follow this) that I appreciate the effort.

To be honest, I feel like king ding dong is usually just really vocal about his lack of support for the meal plan... We've heard it, I understand that he doesn't think it's good for him. But I'm not really sure why he follows this thread at all, let alone comments on it.

Lol.  You don’t know what you are talking about.  “Lack of support”. I have bought 3 platinum meal plans for my family the past 3 seasons.  

What I don’t do is brown nose.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Lol.  You don’t know what you are talking about.  “Lack of support”. I have bought 3 platinum meal plans for my family the past 3 seasons.  

What I don’t do is brown nose.  

lmao  

Well since it is what it is, For my wife and I, we both find Coney BBQ pretty umm NOT GOOD. I've tried a lot of the foods, and even down to the baked beans was to me NASTY. We don't and won't probably eat Coney BBQ again, at least till I see on here it's FAR better. I saw a family of 5 last time I was at Coney BBQ spend a 100$ and I went outside with ribs and bakes beans, took 2 bites and tossed my plate and thought, thank god I have a meal plan and didn't just spend 100$ on that!

Again just our opinion of Coney BBQ, we don't like it... 

• Haha 1

@chuck norris

What is even funnier is the few times I have eaten there this year I have said good things about the actual food.   I beleive I roasted them pretty good earlier in the year for pulling the e-stop on the entire line for 10 minutes becuase they ran out of Mac and cheese.  

Edit: In addition the title of this thread is “Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews”  not “2018 Meal Plans...are they worth it?”  

Also where in your in your posts today does it mention anything about meal plans? Where did I say anything about the meal plans in response to your posts? (I took screen shots so don’t bother changing them). :lol:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What is even funnier is the few times I have eaten there this year I have said good things about the actual food.   I beleive I roasted them pretty good earlier in the year for pulling the e-stop on the entire line for 10 minutes becuase they ran out of Mac and cheese.  

You have said good things, sorry you caught crap.. LMAO  I am sticking with my opinion it is terrible and doesn't in anyway compare to a real bbq joint!

• Haha 1

My thoughts / opinions on Coney BBQ

The Good

Hardly any lines and when there are, it moves quickly

They almost always have trays (It may not seem like a big deal to some, but those that know us know that while my son can put it away he will not carry the meal)

The smoked turkey - My go to.  Wondering why they have not had this all along, always been moist and good

The corn on the cob - not sure what they do but it is always good

The tri-tip - only had one instance of funky cuts (shreds) but the rest has been pretty good

The Ok

The pulled pork - seemed greasy to me, not much smoky flavor

The rotisserie chicken - ok

The baked beans

The fries

The sausage - I really dont like it but my son usually does.  However, I usually end up having to peel the casing off for him to finish it.  If it were like this in the store, I would only have bought it one time

The bad

The mac and cheese - inconsistent, goes from OK to Bad

The coleslaw - The last several times it tasted like something in it went bad

The wishlist

Coke freestyes at the end

Chicken tenders

Corn pudding

Summary

Overall, a good addition.  Heres to hoping that it is maintained or further improved in the future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coasterfanatic2012 said:

I was unimpressed by the Mac at Winterfest, so I doubt I will be having it this year.

The blue ice cream hot chocolate though... yes please!

I think the Mac-N-Cheese at Winterfest debuted well opening weekend with fresh plentiful portions of mac-n-cheese.  A couple weeks in, they changed the serving container size and I saw Chef Nate in there with a scale showing employees what size mac-n-cheese to serve and the quantity got a lot smaller.  Quality started to suffer as well.  It was still my go-to WF meal because it was different than what the park had all year. 

This year's rendition and the serving size container is even smaller than last year and they are scooping out the mac-n-cheese with an ice cream scooper and only one scoop of mac-n-cheese - if half of it sticks to the scooper, oh well you just got served even less.  Quality and Quantity way down over last year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

King ding dong: I really had it in my head that I've seen you post a few reviews about how KI has no reason to have good food service once they have your dining plan money... So I saw this last post as another jab at that.

My apologies if I mistook you with someone else.

You may have seen me post it.

I, and everyone else, was warned about the possible downfalls as early as 2014 by The Interpreter.

Was he right or wrong?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

King ding dong: I really had it in my head that I've seen you post a few reviews about how KI has no reason to have good food service once they have your dining plan money... So I saw this last post as another jab at that.

My apologies if I mistook you with someone else.

Overall I don’t think KI has good food service.  However I do not subscribe to that line of reasoning because while they may have your money this year they may not get it next year.  In truth if I was only visiting KI I might not get the meal plan but half our visits are to CP and the food service there, while not great, is a lot better (most of the time) than KI.  

My two cents:  In my experience, the service aspect was much better this year on my visits.  Rarely longer than a 5 minute wait.  Food quality has improved.  Quantity is still enough for two people.  (And I am a big guy; i rarely finish my meals.)  

Of course, my experience is based on the days I visit the park.  I usually go on slow days.

Kentucky Kingdom has the quality, quantity and speed of service.  It's becoming a benchmark for me--as well as Knoebels.

I love a lot of KI food. Jukebox has awesome burgers. I've now had burgers at reds 5 times and every time loved them, and the salads at reds are pretty awesome. If you don't mind the line at Panda, that's always a winner for me. Of course Chic fil a is always good. Some awesome chicken tenders through out the park. Pizza is ok, some good salads at Larosas. Yet to try hanks just based off this forum. Chicken Wrap at chicken shack is really good. Tom chee is good.   Skyline is good. I love the food plan and think it's a awesome value for a whole season, I think just renewed it for 95$ for next year.  

I'm not saying everything is bad at Coney BBQ, but I've never sit down and enjoyed a whole meal and have tried it maybe 6 times.  Just bring in Bobby Flay to make it better is all ;)

19 hours ago, Gannersdaddy said:

My thoughts / opinions on Coney BBQ

The Good

Hardly any lines and when there are, it moves quickly

They almost always have trays (It may not seem like a big deal to some, but those that know us know that while my son can put it away he will not carry the meal)

The smoked turkey - My go to.  Wondering why they have not had this all along, always been moist and good

The corn on the cob - not sure what they do but it is always good

The tri-tip - only had one instance of funky cuts (shreds) but the rest has been pretty good

The Ok

The pulled pork - seemed greasy to me, not much smoky flavor

The rotisserie chicken - ok

The baked beans

The fries

The sausage - I really dont like it but my son usually does.  However, I usually end up having to peel the casing off for him to finish it.  If it were like this in the store, I would only have bought it one time

The bad

The mac and cheese - inconsistent, goes from OK to Bad

The coleslaw - The last several times it tasted like something in it went bad

The wishlist

Coke freestyes at the end

Chicken tenders

Corn pudding

Summary

Overall, a good addition.  Heres to hoping that it is maintained or further improved in the future.

I'm so glad you mentioned the coleslaw, I didn't eat mine yesterday as it tasted like it was about to go sour, I wasn't sure and didn't want to take a chance. My husband has always loved this place, I have been on the fence about it, sometimes good, sometimes not. Now if they had smoked turkey all the time I would be in heaven. 

• Like 1

There are a thousand ways to make coleslaw and potato salad and most like it how they grew up with it.   So the park is really in a no win situation as far as those are concerned.  I found the coleslaw very, very bland and prefer it with much more of a kick either on the sweet side or sour vinager side.  

• Like 1

My favorite thing about Coney BBQ is the ability to sit on the front porch and eat.  One of the nicest places to eat a meal at Kings Island.  The seating area they created behind it is very nice, too.  They really improved the area between there and Tower Gardens.  I also think Coney BBQ just looks great.  It really improved Coney Mall; I can only imagine how much nicer it's going to look with next year's wonderful addition at the other end!

The taste of the food has never been in an issue the past couple years at KI. It’s always been operations. Example: the orange shade to the concrete is a voban stain. My son emptying the contents of his stomach was the reason for the voban.... That occurrence was almost a month ago. Picture was taken Saturday evening.

4896BFA0-2DE3-42C8-AD3A-12C3E41F8F66.jpeg

Edited by AZ Kinda Guy
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The wife and I took a walk over last night to glance to see if Hank's had changed the Mac n' Cheese portions for the better (we had already eaten at Reds).  It appears that they have.  Unlike last week they are now are putting the portions on an actual plate so the portions are more like the serving size during the end of Winterfest.  Good on the park for listening to the feedback.

• Like 1

The wife and I took a walk over last night to glance to see if Hank's had changed the Mac n' Cheese portions for the better (we had already eaten at Reds).  It appears that they have.  Unlike last week they are now are putting the portions on an actual plate so the portions are more like the serving size during the end of Winterfest.  Good on the park for listening to the feedback.

Would have liked to try the Mac. We actually tried twice last night and they were closed both times

It would be nice if they posted hours on the app for when the restaurants will open and close.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1