Coney BBQ and 2018 Food Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

Works great!
Also I may suggest taking a screen shot of the QR code it generates for your pass in case there are any connectivity issues.

From the app, you can simply add your pass to pass book, then you don't need to load the app or rely on conductivity. At least for iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I finally tried the Tri-Tip last night before Haunt started and it seemed really tough; is this how it's supposed to be? Also, it seemed super expensive compared to what I normally get (Pulled Pork sandwich and Mac and Cheese), but maybe the guy rang in up weird.

IDK, I’m one of the harshest critics of the food department but I can tell you that I’ve never gotten food from Coney BBQ that was between good and excellent. 

Yeah, the register thing kind of sucks, but the food quality has never been an issue for me. To be frank, I’m cautiously optmitstic that the dorms will help with the staffing issues. Did they say whether they’d be ready for next year?

13 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

IDK, I’m one of the harshest critics of the food department but I can tell you that I’ve never gotten food from Coney BBQ that was between good and excellent. 

I don’t know what this means.  So you might have had aweful or terrible or just fair on the low end and possibly superb or incredible on the high end? 

22 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I don’t know what this means.  So you might have had aweful or terrible or just fair on the low end and possibly superb or incredible on the high end? 

I meant what I said. At its worst it was good, at its best it was excellent. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but that’s been my experience.

If that's what you meant, I think you meant 

14 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

"wasn't" instead of "was" or "always" instead of "never".

• Like 1

Or did you mean your food was always “good” or “excellent” a binary choice, but never something in between those two such as “tasty”, “really good” or “above par”?

“I’ve never had a Moon landing that was between good and excellent.”   Is just as valid a statement as yours but doesn’t really say that much.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

If that's what you meant, I think you meant 

"wasn't" instead of "was" or "always" instead of "never".

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Or did you mean your food was always “good” or “excellent” a binary choice, but never something in between those two such as “tasty”, “really good” or “above par”?

“I’ve never had a Moon landing that was between good and excellent.”   Is just as valid a statement as yours but doesn’t really say that much.  :lol:

Good gawd, people! The food was always really good. Can we just accept that??? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@JubJester is being really cranky about grammar today so we are just trying to get you to correct your mistake before he shows up and chews you out. 

Haha! I've had my cups of coffee!:lol:

I was being cranky because that post from earlier was filled with a bunch grammar errors! Not to mentioned the lack of research and common sense. 

Edit: It was like something I would of read on Facebook under the comment section. (A place I rarely dare to adventure.)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article on food quality across the CF chain, but primarily focused on CP.   KI too has seen its fair share of food inconsistencies (jutebox, mac&cheese bar, panda, etc.).  If season pass meal plans do indeed account for about 30% on the bottom line, it could be an interesting 2019 if many decide not renew their plans.  Even though it may cost a few dollars more, I am waiting to see how the food quality is at KI Winterfest before committing to a 2019 season meal plan.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201710120034

It is a good article but doesn’t address one of the big problems with relying on outside food vendors which is integrating the dinning plans.  I suspect doing so would mean less profit for CF as the vendors are going to expect a certain profit level as well.   What happens to all that dinning plan revenue when it becomes clear to guests that the only “good” food and service is from the vendors?

Also I think that smaller cheesesteak problem started in 2017 not this year.   

30 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

It is a good article but doesn’t address one of the big problems with relying on outside food vendors which is integrating the dinning plans.  I suspect doing so would mean less profit for CF as the vendors are going to spect a certain profit level as well.   What happens to all that dinning plan revenue when it becomes clear to guests that the only “good” food and service is from the vendors?

Also I think that smaller cheesesteak problem started in 2017 not this year.   

CFA and Panda are both outsourced, but on the dining plan so a solution is out there somewhere. I do agree that if the majority of food locations were franchised then it would pose a more vast problem.

• Like 1

I was at the park all three days of the weekend.  The smoked turkey at CB was very good.  Saturday was a busy day, but I didn't have to wait very long on that day, or any of the other times I used my plan.  I did notice a couple of times that dining staff had on a non-CF uniform, but I did not recognize the logo.  Maybe they had agency help?  Finally, the food was good.  Mac Bar was very good, but I wish they had the heat on at the Biergarten patio.  Mac and cheese with toppings tend to cool down very quickly.  LOL

Universal Orlando offically launched their “Mobile Express Pick Up” app for food this week which is very similar to the Disney’s mobile food app.  Guests and pick their restaurant, view menu, order, pay or use their dining plan, and pick up their food when they are ready.  Will KI/CF ever make the technological advancement to using an app instead of their current kiosk approach?  (which never has worked well for me, especially with a season drink plan)

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2018 at 11:59 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

CFA and Panda are both outsourced, but on the dining plan so a solution is out there somewhere. I do agree that if the majority of food locations were franchised then it would pose a more vast problem.

I know this is old, but I just got back on the forum. CFA and Panda are not the only outsourced food options. Tom and Chee should be, or it at least was at one point. In addition, any food stands or trucks set up are independently run. The only exception to this is the food during Spirit Song (pizza truck, main structure, and carts), and the festival thing they did in June. Also, Midwest Beverage Association has been controlling a handful of stands on and off for the past few years. Juke Box is one that's been mostly theirs since 2016ish, same with Snoopy Grill. I also know they run the shaved ice cart outside slingshot and I believe have always done that since it reopened. They use the same ordering structure as the rest of KI, but their management/employees are run separately. They may have taken more stands since I stopped working for food in 2017, but that's what I know. You can tell they're employees of MBA by looking at their uniforms, it'll have the logo of MBA on it.

Also, I'd like to say that I have never failed to see the manager at Tom and Chee there, when I would get to the park at 8amish, he was always setting up his stand or running around. Never talked with the guy, but I must say he is really committed to the job. And this was many, many openings.

• Like 1

^ The name brand eateries (beside Skyline and LaRosa's) are probably overseen by their franchise owner or corporate entity.  I'd venture a guess that the MBA folks are just another subcontractor.  It may make sense to use subs for main F&B places as the park seems to struggle with this consistently.

10 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^ The name brand eateries (beside Skyline and LaRosa's) are probably overseen by their franchise owner or corporate entity.  I'd venture a guess that the MBA folks are just another subcontractor.  It may make sense to use subs for main F&B places as the park seems to struggle with this consistently.

Very true that this is from 2018, missed that.

As for the name brands, anything that I haven't mentioned in my post are run fully by KI food staff. So places like Graeters, Cinnabon, Skyline, Subway, ect. are staffed and run by KI hired persons. The only thing with the name brands is that they generally have to order their stuff from the supplier of that brand, and the brands come in every once in a while to check on quality/do training at the beginning of the season. I'm pretty sure that I was told that MBA bought the rights to run the stands. I'm pretty sure they aren't a subcontractor. Most likely a profit sharing agreement if I had to guess.