Canadas Wonderland - Currency, prices on website

I was wondering if the prices on Canada's Wonderland website are in US dollars or Cad dollars. I actually visited the website through a vpn making it look like I was in Canada and the prices for platinum passes and meal deals are the same price as their American park counterparts. I have to assume the majority of visits are from Canadians and that they expect the prices to be in $Cad. Considering this, I assume prices are indeed $Cad. 

If prices are $Cad, wouldn't platinum holders be wise to process passes or add-ons through the Wonderland website and therefore rendering a greater than 20 percent discount based on a current currency conversion rate of .7934 usd = 1 cad?

If anyone that has experience or knowledge of this could post or pm me I would appreciate it.

It has been discussed here before.  One of the main drawbacks in the past was the Home Park issue.  If you lost a pass it could only be replaced at your Home Park.  That restriction might not exist anymore as I have had passes replaced and forced replaced a couple of times at KI and CP.  There is also the issue of taxes as I beleive they are higher in Cad so the savings might not be as large as it appears.  

6 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

It has been discussed here before.  One of the main drawbacks in the past was the Home Park issue.  If you lost a pass it could only be replaced at your Home Park.  That restriction might not exist anymore as I have had passes replaced and forced replaced a couple of times at KI and CP.  There is also the issue of taxes as I beleive they are higher in Cad so the savings might not be as large as it appears.  

I thought all the prices were tax inclusive?

In addition, with the drink deals, meal deals, etc requiring the use of your pass now, how could they not replace at another park if you lost it there?

32 minutes ago, TheLip2 said:

I thought all the prices were tax inclusive?

In addition, with the drink deals, meal deals, etc requiring the use of your pass now, how could they not replace at another park if you lost it there?

I don’t think KI charges tax.  CP does if you don’t buy on the tax free day they have.  (They had one last spring) I guess the way to know for sure is run through the purchase process and back out right before the final commit.  

Another thing to consider, does your CC charge something for the currency conversion? Any international purchases I make are usually through PayPal.  

Maybe @stashua123 knows more about this with all his training?

7 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Another thing to consider, does your CC charge something for the currency conversion? Any international purchases I make are usually through PayPal.

Visa and MasterCard both charge the credit card company a 1% fee to perform a currency conversion. Most credit card companies pass this fee on to the cardholder. Notably, Capital One does not pass the fee on; they just eat the fee instead. Check your cardholder agreement for details (look for a section titled "Foreign Transactions" or something similar).

If paying through PayPal, who performs the currency conversion is dependent on your payment source. If you pay with a credit card through PayPal, you have the option to have PayPal perform the conversion and charge your card in U.S. dollars (which is the default), or charge your card in the foreign currency and let your credit card company do the conversion. However, PayPal's conversion fee is 3%, which is quite high. You're likely to be better off telling it to let your credit card company do the conversion.

On the other hand, if you use PayPal to pay with your bank account or PayPal balance, you must let PayPal do the conversion. Also note that if you have a non-zero balance on PayPal, PayPal will force you to use up that entire balance before it will allow any other source to be used. If you don't want that (e.g. because of currency conversion fees), the only way to avoid it is to withdraw the entire balance to your bank account prior to purchasing anything.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

Visa and MasterCard both charge the credit card company a 1% fee to perform a currency conversion. Most credit card companies pass this fee on to the cardholder. Notably, Capital One does not pass the fee on; they just eat the fee instead. Check your cardholder agreement for details (look for a section titled "Foreign Transactions" or something similar).

If paying through PayPal, who performs the currency conversion is dependent on your payment source. If you pay with a credit card through PayPal, you have the option to have PayPal perform the conversion and charge your card in U.S. dollars (which is the default), or charge your card in the foreign currency and let your credit card company do the conversion. However, PayPal's conversion fee is 3%, which is quite high. You're likely to be better off telling it to let your credit card company do the conversion.

On the other hand, if you use PayPal to pay with your bank account or PayPal balance, you must let PayPal do the conversion. Also note that if you have a non-zero balance on PayPal, PayPal will force you to use up that entire balance before it will allow any other source to be used. If you don't want that (e.g. because of currency conversion fees), the only way to avoid it is to withdraw the entire balance to your bank account prior to purchasing anything.

My Citibank Costco card eliminated foreign transaction fees a few months ago.

• Like 1