Jump to content
whengodsaysgo

#KIMiles with WhenGodSaysGo

Recommended Posts

A great benefit of being a Kings Island enthusiast is that you log a lot of miles! I decided use my iPhone Health app to keep track of how many #KIMiles that I log in the 2018 season. The app graphs the distance travelled by time, so this will help me deduct the non-park mileage. Here’s my info from Gold Pass Preview Night and Opening Day!

 

04/13: 5.6  -.25 = 5.35 park miles

04/14: 10.2

2018 total: 15.55 miles

CEF78AB8-7E21-404E-AC98-950652F131A5.jpeg

6A295230-855D-483F-9C60-D5A549F6BBB2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Nice! You know you can get 0.8 km by riding the train... ;)

Seriously, though, does your phone track your milage in the train as well (or do you have it turned off)?

 

I will have to check next time I ride it.  It's an app that iPhone just runs automatically.  I discovered it by accident.  I'd venture to say that the numbers are fairly accurate, even with my lackluster ability to to estimate distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally find pedometers very inaccurate for distance.   I have a Mio and my wife a Fitbit.   We can take the same walk and have very different results.  By as much as 30% or so.   Have also tested them by runng a GPS app at the same time.  Although to do that at the park you will need to carry a powerbank to charge up the phone as GPS really sucks the juice.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, my fitbit dis not register any flat rides or roller coasters last year at the park.  I don't *think* it registered the train, but I could be wrong.  I know several flats and no coasters did (as I recall wanting to know the accuracy of this and paid attention to it). 

Avoid drinking pop and friend junk all day (hard to do with these awesome plans and corn syrup stations all over) and it could be a real healthy day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I personally find pedometers very inaccurate for distance.   I have a Mio and my wife a Fitbit.   We can take the same walk and have very different results.  By as much as 30% or so.   Have also tested them by runng a GPS app at the same time.  Although to do that at the park you will need to carry a powerbank to charge up the phone as GPS really sucks the juice.  

 

So, I did some digging and there are two settings (on iPhone) that contribute to having an accurate number.  One was to turn on location services, which means the GPS is involved, and the other was to turn on a fitness setting that allows the phone to gather more accurate information.  I've decided to go with my original plan, knowing that the number may be more a ballpark, but that it's likely decently accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a little off subject, but 3 years ago My wife and I planned a trip to Kings Island for July in March.. I hadn't been in about 4 years and being 6ft5 worried of not being able to fit oh and also about 315#s  . So from March to July I started eating between 1000 and 1300 calories a day, most of that being in form of protein. And switched to diet soda. in them few months I lost 95#'s... Goes quick if you calorie count.  Now I am at 260 gaining 40 over winter, but am back on the same deal as of 2 weeks ago, except at Kings Island I will enjoy my 2 meals, but no candy or stuff like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Really the raw data is not that important.  What is importantant is that you moved a lot that day. :)

You're very, very right.  I've seen coaster counts, ride counts, but never mile counts. I'm gonna run walk (briskly) with it. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

Maybe a little off subject, but 3 years ago My wife and I planned a trip to Kings Island for July in March.. I hadn't been in about 4 years and being 6ft5 worried of not being able to fit oh and also about 315#s  . So from March to July I started eating between 1000 and 1300 calories a day, most of that being in form of protein. And switched to diet soda. in them few months I lost 95#'s... Goes quick if you calorie count.  Now I am at 260 gaining 40 over winter, but am back on the same deal as of 2 weeks ago, except at Kings Island I will enjoy my 2 meals, but no candy or stuff like that

Keep in mind that losing weight that fast (95 pounds in a "few months") is not healthy and usually results in the weight quickly coming back (as you said, you gained 40 over the winter). Losing weight slowly is much healthier and carries a much higher chance that the weight will stay off. The recommendation I hear most often is about one pound per week. That may seem slow, but it's much healthier and more likely to stick in the long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcgoble3 said:

Keep in mind that losing weight that fast (95 pounds in a "few months") is not healthy and usually results in the weight quickly coming back (as you said, you gained 40 over the winter). Losing weight slowly is much healthier and carries a much higher chance that the weight will stay off. The recommendation I hear most often is about one pound per week. That may seem slow, but it's much healthier and more likely to stick in the long term.

Your right, but the 40 I gained was over this past winter and the original weight I lost was 3 years ago... I say to each his own, but going at it hard and seeing fast results for me personally is a big motivator..  this past winter was just kinda like not caring plus being laid off from Construction and sitting around and being bored, so I lived it up.. 

 

Or I ate it up I should say

And if you have ever watched 600# life, they are over 600 and he puts em on a 1000 calorie a day diet.. 

 

In the end what matters is that you lose the weight... if you can change your eating habit just enough to consistently lose 1 pound a week for a long time, that's great, but for me it takes a drastic change or it doesn't work

 

 And my whole point of responding on this was, Kings Island for me at least was the biggest motivator of all. It worked the first time and will this time, I need something to look forward to non stop or i get bored out my mind.. So be super healthy when not at the park and then enjoy yourself at the park :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most I have stepped at Kings Island in one day is about 26,000 steps, and this was on a day where I worked a Swing shift and visited as a guest before and after.

On one of my test rides on Vortex last year I was checking my FitBit Charge 2 throughout the ride to see what my heart rate was at various points of the ride, and I found it actually counting steps too! So according to my FitBit, riding Vortex apparently counts as walking or running. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VortexBFForever said:

On one of my test rides on Vortex last year I was checking my FitBit Charge 2 throughout the ride to see what my heart rate was at various points of the ride, and I found it actually counting steps too! So according to my FitBit, riding Vortex apparently counts as walking or running.

Use of electronic devices is not allowed on any ride at Kings Island. ;)

But yes, pedometers do sometimes count steps on coasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Monday and welcome to the second episode of #KIMiles :) Here are my totals for the week!  

A special bonus for you this week: a pic of me and my boo!

04/20: 4.5 -.37 non-park miles = 4.13

04/21: 4.9 -.73 non-park miles = 4.17

2018 total: 23.85

CA5E7F9D-3198-442C-8206-C5833448F41D.jpeg

CCAF743C-82C0-4C79-BEA5-17CF9E14BFAC.png

4F84FB9D-8B54-425D-ACE0-3A00248288AA.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, whengodsaysgo said:

Happy Monday and welcome to the second episode of #KIMiles :) Here are my totals for the week!  

A special bonus for you this week: a pic of me and my boo!

04/20: 4.5 -.37 non-park miles = 4.13

04/21: 4.9 -.73 non-park miles = 4.17

2018 total: 23.85

CA5E7F9D-3198-442C-8206-C5833448F41D.jpeg

CCAF743C-82C0-4C79-BEA5-17CF9E14BFAC.png

4F84FB9D-8B54-425D-ACE0-3A00248288AA.png

Congrats!  Try to keep a healthy pace during off days from KI  and I bet you will have a great healthy Season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheRickster said:

Has anyone measured the distance for a basic loop around the park? Front Gate - AZ- Coney-Rivertown-PS-Back to IS? Without using the middle paths that connect closer to the Eiffel Tower?

Not yet, but this sounds like a project I'm into working on.  Maybe a little later in the season when some of my excitement has worn off.

 

4 hours ago, KImom said:

We logged 23,500 steps on Sunday! Craziness! It didn't even feel like it. :) 

Never does at KI!  Until you get out of the car after driving home... I'm usually a little creaky anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whengodsaysgo said:

 

Never does at KI!  Until you get out of the car after driving home... I'm usually a little creaky anyways.

Oh my gosh, yes...even my kids were saying that when we got home. It's about an hour and a half drive for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, we ended up with 68,995 steps (36.38 miles) per Samsung Health.

I did some experiments.  I checked my steps before riding The Beast and then again after riding.  It had added around 140 steps.

I also did a lap around the park, starting with The Beast Selfie station.  Not crisscrossing, going to Soak City, or going down dead ends (sorry Bat), it was around 1.1 miles

Screenshot_2018-04-28-23-22-13.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9170 steps today in about 5 hours. This was an overly, planned visit. It will be interesting to compare the Cedar Point steps to this later today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

610F03B8-74B5-41D0-BF25-CDAE3B5BB85C.png

From preview night

2773F519-62BC-4DD0-A1E3-7EBE8E79A260.png

Opening DayDCD0FD8B-7B24-4EF4-8CF7-7C0BE230C2CC.png

From Saturday 5/5, the numbers would have been higher but my phone was a potato after the incident of losing my battery pack on the train. CAD8489D-19F4-4412-8ADC-01284237D19A.png

From yesterday. T’was a good day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×