Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Imperial79

I am sure that they made money on Winterfest this past year.  It was always busy, save for the final time I went when it was bone chillingly cold.  They are expanding the event to Kings Dominion this year.

I too think carriage rides would be a nice addition.  I did prefer the train experience in the 2005 version over the version for last years Winterfest.  I just wasn`t that impressed with all the Twelve Days lights.

1 minute ago, CoastersRZ said:

I did prefer the train experience in the 2005 version over the version for last years Winterfest.  I just wasn`t that impressed with all the Twelve Days lights.

I can somewhat agree. I enjoyed riding the train, but it was extremely hard to even make out half of the lights as they were either too close to the train or on the wrong side of the train (depending on where you sat). 

I admittedly know very little about the care and needs of horses but assume in the winter they would need some sort of overnight shelter (possibly heated) for the weekend.  Assuming you can’t leave them in the elements does the park have something that would be suitable?  Would think they would need quite a few horses for capacity.  

4 hours ago, chugh43 said:

In the previous versions of WinterFest, pass holders still had to pay to visit WinterFest. The perk being they don't with this version.

It was only the 2005 Paramount version of WinterFest that season pass holders had to pay.  I remember getting in with my season pass during the original incarnation.

• Like 4

^That's right! We had our pictures taken with REAL cameras with REAL pictures that we had to wait to be developed, then wait while those pictures and a little slip of paper that we had signed... in CURSIVE... which kids don't even know how to do anymore and aren't even taught in school anymore... were run though the machine to get LAMINATED!  None of this digital-picture-not-even-being-on-the-pass-but-in-the-computer-instead mumbo jumbo!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, XGatorHead 8904 said:

^That's right! We had our pictures taken with REAL cameras with REAL pictures that we had to wait to be developed, then wait while those pictures and a little slip of paper that we had signed... in CURSIVE... which kids don't even know how to do anymore and aren't even taught in school anymore... were run though the machine to get LAMINATED!  None of this digital-picture-not-even-being-on-the-pass-but-in-the-computer-instead mumbo jumbo!

that's whats up

9 minutes ago, XGatorHead 8904 said:

Weren't the dinos in Dinosaurs Alive really really real and it was just considered a zoo back then? :lol:

Also, horses are fine in the winter.  Some actually wear coats!  They do, however, need special water buckets that have heater coils in them so they don't freeze.

I feel like the park can do a lot of "expanding" in its current (or slightly larger) footprint before they would worry about something like the water park.  That might as well be in another state.  The general consensus was that I-Street was mind-blowing and the decorations really dropped off elsewhere in the park.  This is not a commentary on the event - it was the first year and was a huge undertaking.  

It's funny because I was so blown away by the 2005 Winterfest and that really didn't hold a candle to what we saw last year.  I think it's my new favorite season at Kings Island....

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rides typically have a minimum startup temperature and a minimum operating temperature.  Theoretically the park could install heaters below the station to keep the wheels warm when it is parked and extend the operating ranges.  There are parks in Europe with brake heaters, wheel heaters, etc and they are able to operate below freezing.

But does anyone really want this?  It gives maintenance a lot less time to get the park ready for the following season, the more rides open at Winterfest the greater chance some of the rides or at least some of the trains will not be ready in the spring.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

CP had heaters under Steel Vengeance on media day and it wasn’t really that cold.

C0B6DEB2-E2DB-4CD1-872D-C551B2E029D7.jpeg

On media day Steel Vengance opened at 5 AM so it would be possible to get night rides.  While it did warm up when they first opened the ride it was in the low 40’s.

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

On media day Steel Vengance opened at 5 AM so it would be possible to get night rides.  While it did warm up when they first opened the ride it was in the low 40’s.

I was there at opening and it really wasnt that cold that heaters were needed. It was chilly but cold for heaters.

If you watch the webcams, the park has been busy stringing lights in the trees (and testing them at night as seen on the webcam).  There have been many burned out bulbs on buildings this summer (like around Hanks and I-street) and even missing bulbs (where someone took them) around the windows at Reds Grill.  Let’s hope they fix those before Winterfest begins after Thanksgiving.   Carowinds is having a sneak peak of their Winterfest (according to their Winterfest calendar on their webpage) the Sunday before Thanksgiving (Nov 18) so likely will be checking that out.  Also noted Carowinds Winterfest is doing 2-10pm Saturdays this season while KI made it clear they would stick to the 4-10pm Saturdays.  With the Corporate emphasis now on special events I would not be surprised if KI changes their mind to also go with 2-10pm Saturdays.