Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Imperial79

The map looks great, however, wasn't "Rivertown Wonderland" called something different last year?

EDIT: Also, I think it's perfect that "The Mistletones" are now in Tinsel Town instead of Rivertown; I feel like that act fits better with the theme! In addition, it looks like they moved "What the Dickens!" to Charlie Brown's Christmas Town and put "Four Drummers Drumming" in Festhaus. Finally, I also love how the restaurants are all Christmas themed (and Paradise Island is open!)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kingsislandfan1972 said:

Is the train running this year for WinterFest?

Yep. 12 days of Christmas thing, like last year.

Falalala 

953A5FA4-9960-47AA-9157-58A0162EE919.png

Closer:

91CB1642-23CB-4289-BD9B-8DF13F2654A8.jpeg

Edit: so in my time uploading the images a ton of you have already posted the map. Hope you’re all as excited as I am!

It would be cool to have more light displays synchronized to music! That was my only complaint about last year's Winterfest! I think that in a couple of years, it could even contend with the Festival of Lights for "Best Holiday Light Events" (I think that is what Cincinnati Magazine calls it)! 

I really hope they add additional hours!  I was only able to attend one night but was blown away by it.  You really need to have a game plan before going as there are so many things to do.  Very much looking forward to it.  The 2nd train is a must on the weekend...that was the only negative IMO. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

Bring your own, they sell stadium seat cushions for fairly cheap.

I was going to say the same thing, but if you have kids that really becomes a pain in the you know what to haul them around. They won’t fit easily into the standard size lockers as well.  

The park could cheaply add 1” of closed cell foam to the seats and that would make a huge difference but securing it could be a problem. 

• Like 1

Winterfest 2005 ran both trains so not sure why last year they made the decision was made to only run one.  Glad to hear the boiler issues in colder weather have been figured out, so the trains will actually run.  The train sat at the station all day yeasterday, last night, and is still at the station today possibly for decorating the cars?

D2406D76-E047-43E6-8D2D-A4681C0C2F25.png

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

Winterfest 2005 ran both trains so not sure why last year they made the decision was made to only run one.  Glad to hear the boiler issues in colder weather have been figured out, so the trains will actually run.  The train sat at the station all day yeasterday, last night, and is still at the station today possibly for decorating the cars?

D2406D76-E047-43E6-8D2D-A4681C0C2F25.png

Probably, also altering the audio for the cars. The green train was not active during last year's Winterfest so I'm sure its getting decorated and is going through operating tests. 

Info for Carowinds’ NYE. We can only assume that our event will look similar:

New for this year, Carowinds introduces New Year's Eve at WinterFest, a family-friendly celebration that starts at 10 p.m., after a full evening of WinterFest. New Year's Eve will feature live bands, Snoopy's Rockin' New Year's Eve Party, fireworks at midnight and more. New Year's Eve at WinterFest is included with WinterFest admission or a gold season pass. Two new themed areas will also debut this year, the nostalgic, 50s-inspired Tinsel Town and the whimsical North Pole Excursion. Also new this year, Saturday hours are extended to 2-10 p.m. for a full day of holiday magic.

Source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/winterfest-returns-to-carowinds-debuts-new-years-eve-event-300745185.html

We can only hope KI also extends their Saturday Winterfest hours too - when asked during the podcast, they have indicated there are no plans to extend the current KI Saturday hours of 4-10pm (but as we know, they do sometimes change their mind at the last minute such as last year when they decided to open at 4 instead of 5 on Saturdays).

Been thinking about this whole “family friendly” NYE thing. A bunch of small children out in the cold for hours, jacked up on sweets and hot chocolate, up WAY past their bedtime mixed with a bunch of adults possibly wanting a more traditional NYE experience.

What could possibly go wrong? 

Reminds me of a “family friendly” Mardi Gras that some cities put on and not everyone gets the memo (or cares) that it was to be “family friendly” and then parental outrage ensues.  

54 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Been thinking about this whole “family friendly” NYE thing. A bunch of small children out in the cold for hours, jacked up on sweets and hot chocolate, up WAY past their bedtime mixed with a bunch of adults possibly wanting a more traditional NYE experience.

Reminds me of a “family friendly” Mardi Gras that some cities put on and not everyone gets the memo (or cares) that it was to be “family friendly” and then parental outrage ensues.  

Nah - parents will treat this like they do during the season - this is a babysitting service and they will drop the Kiddo's off and parents will go to an adult party and pick their kids up on the way back home:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Sounds like some of the things I saw at Haunt

• Like 1