Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Imperial79

CDED8AFD-53E9-46E2-950F-DFF476223EBB.jpeg

From Katie Huffman’s Twitter. She choreographs most of the shows. The Mistletones have been moved from the LaRosa’s porch to a makeshift stage made out of the Goblet Toss game on the east end of Coney. This makes a lot more sense than where it was.

Also, I’ve heard that Coney may be the place to be this year once the sun goes down. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

One more day! The park is looking great on the webcams tonight: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/live-video

As a reminder, Tinsel Town opens as a new area this season. Tinsel Town Diner (Juke Box Diner) features burgers, patty melts, and a turducken sandwich. Horse-drawn carriage rides are offered for $40 per group of up to six riders.

The Enchanted Theater is open this year, with What The Dickens and A PEANUTS Guide To Christmas playing there. Coney Barbecue becomes Smokehouse Christmas, featuring roast beef, smoked turkey, Christmas sausage, and rotisserie chicken. Pull-apart cinnamon bread will be found this season at Claus Confectionary (Rivertown Funnel Cakes), along with funnel cakes, hot chocolate, and other treats.

Can't wait to see everyone there tomorrow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malem said:

The new Christmas buffet at Reds Grille is well-worth the $5 dining plan upcharge. The menu options are similar to last year's International Restaurant buffet; I especially enjoyed the mashed red potatoes and maple glazed ham.

Does that mean we don’t need reservations this year?

Winterfest was amazing. The park did a fantastic job in decorating and preparing for the big day. However, the food service is extremely slow compared to the KI food service we are accustomed to. I’m curious if this was a bad day, or if this is to be the norm. How slow was it? 4 people were served in 20 minutes at Skyline. 

15 minutes ago, funpark said:

Does that mean we don’t need reservations this year?

There are 2 buffets this year according to the website. They still have the International Street Restaurant Buffet too. Looks like you can't buy ahead online anymore. 

International Restaurant 

Enjoy a winter feast crafted by the Kings Island culinary team! Dine on seasonal delights while overlooking the stunning view of International Street and Snow Flake Lake.

Dining Plans are not accepted at this location. Tickets can be purchased at the International Restaurant on the day of your visit. Limited availability.

• Thanks 1

Wow. Great job. Much better allocation of resources this year to create themed areas. Coney had the energy it was lacking last year. The passage around the tower “wintetfest way” has the more organized look if lacked last year. Just an all around great job. There were of course a few technical glitches like no moving lights in candy cane lane, but I’m sure they’ll be addressing all of that as the event continues. I’m still amazed at the detail they put into trim elements (decor in the wreaths and trees) that is barely visible after 6 when it’s dark. They certainly could open earlier and it would look great. It’s an event that is definitely NOT just all about lights like the zoo. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Wow. Great job. Much better allocation of resources this year to create themed areas. Coney had the energy it was lacking last year. The passage around the tower “wintetfest way” has the more organized look if lacked last year. Just an all around great job. There were of course a few technical glitches like no moving lights in candy cane lane, but I’m sure they’ll be addressing all of that as the event continues. I’m still amazed at the detail they put into trim elements (decor in the wreaths and trees) that is barely visible after 6 when it’s dark. They certainly could open earlier and it would look great. It’s an event that is definitely NOT just all about lights like the zoo. 

Not sure if the candy cane lane lights were not working or if they were repurposed elsewhere.

7 hours ago, JubJester said:

I'm sure someone did. (It had to be done) 

Are you talking about the one at 5:30? If so, yes I did.

The lighting was so much better this year. All of I Street was involved, which was a “you know what would be cool?” thought I had last year. The tree lights, up lighting, truss lighting, and tower all play a part and it’s amazing! A big shout out goes out to the tech services team for working all year to make this possible.

• Like 3