Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Imperial79

We went Friday at open. Went straight for Mystic Timbers and it was closed for weather and it would be a lengthy wait. I found it odd bc I know I’ve seen where folks here said they got a 30 degree ride on it. And the weather was completely clear. Unless there could have been ice on the tracks?
The park was honestly dead and we only had an hour to ride before we had to go get the kids from dc so we missed out.
MH was convinced that they didn’t want to run it bc there weren’t enough people at the park yet. Could that be?

3 hours ago, Yippee Skippee said:

Can someone answer a question? I have the drink plan this year and was wondering if hot chocolate is an option during winterfest?

Hot chocolate/coffee is not included on the drink plan, there is a separate mug and charge.  ($10.99 for the refill mug.  Free refills day of purchase and $1 after that).

I believe that Mystic Timbers has a minimum start up temperature.  It was 33 when I got to the park last night at 4:45.  Mystic Timbers never opened last night as the temperature only dropped.  There were still people pouring in when I left around 7:30.

Oh wow, Thanks! No idea it had a min. start up temperature it was very cold last night.

14 hours ago, vlagroupie said:

We went Friday at open. Went straight for Mystic Timbers and it was closed for weather and it would be a lengthy wait. I found it odd bc I know I’ve seen where folks here said they got a 30 degree ride on it. And the weather was completely clear. Unless there could have been ice on the tracks?
The park was honestly dead and we only had an hour to ride before we had to go get the kids from dc so we missed out.
MH was convinced that they didn’t want to run it bc there weren’t enough people at the park yet. Could that be?

I had heard about the ice on the track as well, but yeah, it could most likely be due to Mystic's startup temp.

I was also there last night and had fun despite being tired from walking around at the zoo earlier that day. I really enjoyed seeing The Mistletones, who really benefitted from having a seperate stage as opposed to last year, where they shared the stage with Jingle Jazz (each group rotated out on the half hour). This really gave them a chance to shine and because of that, I enjoyed their show a lot more this year. I also saw the Charlie Brown Christmas Spectacular, was slightly better than last year (still not my cup of tea, though...). In addition, I got my picture with Schroader (finally!) and said hi to Mr. and Mrs. T.

EDIT:Also, Everest may want to see an optometrist...

20181207_213131.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/5/2018 at 11:13 AM, kikid74 said:

Does anyone have a short list of the places that serve good hot chocolate versus brown hot water? About the only positive comment I can provide about the hot chocolate last year was that it was (usually) hot. 

The Mac and cheese bar had the machine hot chocolate. It was delicious!!!

ill let you know if I see another.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 3:51 PM, Cmhornblessed said:

.... And it was superb. We ended up getting two loaves to share amongst us. IMO it is the best KI food item, especially in the dessert/sweet category.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

And half price at 9:45. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been torn having been to both, but this year with the “step up” at ki winterfest, I think we may have edged out Dollywood. Hate to say it but even with their glacier ridge addition (which feel VERY Kings Island and slightly out of step with the feel of the rest of the park) KI just has more kinetic energy and “spectacle” no one beats Hershend in the way the apply lights to buildings (crazy anal detail) but there’s just a “big ness” here. Different parks and different moods, but you can’t not smile when you walk in to KI

• Like 4

I too struggle with the Dollywood vs. KI.  I think from a pure lights standpoint, I would give the edge to KI.  Glacier Ridge was heavily hyped but was a bit of a letdown after going to their Illuminights.  Dollywood actually felt like it has less lights this year vs. previous years.  From a show standpoint, DW still is ahead but it is getting closer ever year and I might give the slight edge to KI overall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I too struggle with the Dollywood vs. KI.  I think from a pure lights standpoint, I would give the edge to KI.  Glacier Ridge was heavily hyped but was a bit of a letdown after going to their Illuminights.  Dollywood actually felt like it has less lights this year vs. previous years.  From a show standpoint, DW still is ahead but it is getting closer ever year and I might give the slight edge to KI overall.

Definitely cut back on light qty. while I feel like the overall area covered is more, the quantity is less if that makes sense. Yes, overall the park as a whole has more holiday throughout, but some of the individual areas have been cut back. I’m sure it’s a cost and time management thing allocating resources. Also for a park open more daylight hours where you can actually see the details, their decorated garlands, trees, wreaths etc come in WAY below ki. The detail and lushness of our trim makes DW look sparse. I know they are going for a “simple country look” but they could definitely add detail in that area  

• Like 2

On 12/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, CoastersRZ said:

As has been stated in the past, there is no early ride times for Winterfest at Kings Island.  International Street and some of the shops on I Street do open thirty minutes before park opening.  4:30 on Fridays and Saturdays and 3:30 on Sundays.  The park opens at 4 on Saturdays and 5 on Fridays and Sunday

On 12/2/2018 at 3:41 PM, malem said:

Passholders don't get early ride time, but turnstiles and International Street shops open for all guests 30 minutes before the park during Winterfest.

FYI - this was not true on Saturday, December 8th. The park didn't open until 4pm AND international street was also not open until 4pm. I'm not sure what has happened other Saturdays this season.

Twas also frustrating to then hike all the way back to MT...closed (weather/too cold). Then hike all the way over to Flight of Cheer....closed (technical difficulties). There was a note at the gate that generically stated "some rides may be closed due to weather". It would have been nice to state specific rides that are actually closed/delayed start. At least the walk warmed us up a little from standing at the unexpectedly closed entrance gate for so long. 

We did have fun ice skating in the 5pm time group. We were on the ice during the lighting ceremony...it was very beautiful!

On 12/10/2018 at 9:20 AM, kikid74 said:

FYI - this was not true on Saturday, December 8th. The park didn't open until 4pm AND international street was also not open until 4pm. I'm not sure what has happened other Saturdays this season.

Twas also frustrating to then hike all the way back to MT...closed (weather/too cold). Then hike all the way over to Flight of Cheer....closed (technical difficulties). There was a note at the gate that generically stated "some rides may be closed due to weather". It would have been nice to state specific rides that are actually closed/delayed start. At least the walk warmed us up a little from standing at the unexpectedly closed entrance gate for so long. 

We did have fun ice skating in the 5pm time group. We were on the ice during the lighting ceremony...it was very beautiful!

I was there that night too. I thought it was strange they waited until open to warm up the rides. It felt like they forgot the park opened at 4 instead of 5.

40 minutes ago, Yippee Skippee said:

I was there that night too. I thought it was strange they waited until open to warm up the rides. It felt like they forgot the park opened at 4 instead of 5.

Even though the park is opening at 4 on certain days, the rides are not opening until 5 regardless of the day. I think it mainly has to do with labor laws because the extra hour would throw off the way they run breaks and stuff like that. 

On this note, I've heard that on New Year's Eve the rides are only open until 10pm because of issues with the state certifications only being valid for 2018 and needing renewed as of the first of every year

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snowball said:

I'm going to Winterfest as a guest for the first time this year tonight, I can't wait to see the whole park instead of just the small area of Rivertown I'm usually at every night. Is there anything I should absolutely make sure I do/try?

I really like What the Dickens!! A must see in my book, and the Cinnamon Bread!