Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Imperial79

All Upligting in the park has switched over to “disco” mode. They went all out on the NYE party vibe. I loved watching all the characters dancing and interacting with the crowd at the bandstand countdown. Definitely a fun night. Hope the low numbers don’t make them question doing NYE next year. 

• Like 1

The park did a great job tonight for their first New Year's Eve celebration.  Lots of energy and music and shows were great. There is no doubt the weather did the park no favors tonight but it's always a risk this time of year at an outdoor venue.  We made the drive down from Toledo and we will be making this an annual  event assuming it comes.back.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 2:44 AM, gforce1994 said:

I saw on videos uploaded that a lot of Firework shells were exploding at lower than usual heights compared to shows with no wind.  Did they seem low?

They were definitely lower. I assumed that was intentional, but not really for sure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

You could if you messed with the fuse. But there would be so many insurance issues that would nix that.

There are some fireworks designed to go higher, and longer tubes cause a higher throw, but fireworks are planned far in advance so you can’t be like, “alright boys, shoot ‘em low tonight!” :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

There are some fireworks designed to go higher, and longer tubes cause a higher throw, but fireworks are planned far in advance so you can’t be like, “alright boys, shoot ‘em low tonight!” :D

Yep. Having done a lot of work and play with rockets, I know what you mean. 

That last line is hilarious nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, retrofan1980 said:

ive got a question please dont make fun. i know its to early to tell or ask but is Kings Island going to be having winter fest this year i saw the the calendar only going up to oct. 

I mean considering CedarFairs attendance is down id seriously doubt they’d chose to shorten the season. Furthermore I’d assume Kings Island has invested a lot of money into buying the winter fest equipment and choosing to end it after just 2 years would be an incredibly foolish investment. Winter fest is almost certainly profitable for the park so I’d say there’s a 99% it’s coming back this year.

7 minutes ago, retrofan1980 said:

ive got a question please dont make fun. i know its to early to tell or ask but is Kings Island going to be having winter fest this year i saw the the calendar only going up to oct. 

This was the same last year.  Winter fest will be added to the calendar later in the year.

Carowinds already has published their Winterfest 2019 calendar on their website. The good news is that it appears CF will be keeping the NYE events at their parks.  The bad news is that with Thanksgiving 2019 being the latest it can ever be on the calendar (Nov 28), there will be one less operating weekend to enjoy Winterfest (previous years opened after Thanksgiving Nov 23/24). Wonder if KI will have a preview day like Carowinds is on Sunday Nov 24?

67943E61-2361-4BBC-9DC5-072FB2E4BB2E.png