Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Imperial79

I went to WinterFest yesterday (12-15-18) and FINALLY got to check off all the things I didn't get to do in 2017!  Blue Hot Chocolate was good.  Cinnamon bread is good (not as good as the Dollywood version) and I struck gold as I was leaving because they had it at half price.  I also, I was the last one in Coney BBQ, I had the buffet earlier but I just wanted to take home some green beans, they gave me a huge serving of them and sausage and a couple of biscuits.  Park looked great, but I do have to say, the Oktoberfest pond and drained Diamondback splash down have a really funky odor in the winter.

I like all the new roaming characters.  The area formerly known as Coney Mall looked wonderful.  I am glad they discontinued WinterFest Way and toned that area down, but I think they could use more lighing in that area.

I also kind of wish the tree out front was not there.  It is beautiful but it does kind of obscure the skyline.  It does, however, set the tone for what greets you inside.  I'd like to see it moved in the park with a real tree planted in front that will eventually get about 20-30 feet tall.  Also, light up some more of the trees on the berms.

Lastly, the trees on the pathway between IS and AZ (by KI  Theater) didn't have the LED uplights on them,  Were they just off for the night or have they not been on for the rest of the event?

15 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I went to WinterFest yesterday (12-15-18) and FINALLY got to check off all the things I didn't get to do in 2017!  Blue Hot Chocolate was good.  Cinnamon bread is good (not as good as the Dollywood version) and I struck gold as I was leaving because they had it at half price.  I also, I was the last one in Coney BBQ, I had the buffet earlier but I just wanted to take home some green beans, they gave me a huge serving of them and sausage and a couple of biscuits.  Park looked great, but I do have to say, the Oktoberfest pond and drained Diamondback splash down have a really funky odor in the winter.

I like all the new roaming characters.  The area formerly known as Coney Mall looked wonderful.  I am glad they discontinued WinterFest Way and toned that area down, but I think they could use more lighing in that area.

I also kind of wish the tree out front was not there.  It is beautiful but it does kind of obscure the skyline.  It does, however, set the tone for what greets you inside.  I'd like to see it moved in the park with a real tree planted in front that will eventually get about 20-30 feet tall.  Also, light up some more of the trees on the berms.

Lastly, the trees on the pathway between IS and AZ (by KI  Theater) didn't have the LED uplights on them,  Were they just off for the night or have they not been on for the rest of the event?

Must’ve just been the night. Been lit every other time. Also agree with the tree out front. Maybe move it where the crazy color tree was in winterfest way that was moved to coney. It’s pretty but almost wasted as you are trying to get in the park ASAP and not spending time in the entry plaza noticing the subtle pattern shifts. Maybe a simpler white lights only tree. Then that big one in its new spot would make a nice backdrop to the international showplace if they ever did a show there. 

3 hours ago, jdf21972 said:

the park has made it official about NYE ride times:

Oh, What Fun It Is To Ride • 5:00PM – 12:00AM 

Enjoy your final rides of the year on some of your favorite attractions. 

*Ride operations subject to change due to weather

Also, to add to NYE:

On New Year's Eve, from 7:00PM - 1:00AM, the International Restaurant will be transformed into the "New Year's Eve Lounge" for guests ages 21 and up, where they'll have an opportunity to ring in 2019 in a club-like atmosphere featuring a live DJ, dance floor, lounge area, hand-crafted cocktails and light snacks -- all paired with the stunning view of International Street and the Eiffel Tower. 

Admission granted with a cover charge, which includes one complimentary drink ticket. Space has a limited capacity.  Admission granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Re-entry not guaranteed after leaving the venue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

So, a dance party in the International Restaraunt for New Year's*? Sign me up!!! :D

Between this, Flight of Cheer, and Winterfest in the same night, New Years is gonna be amazing!

*Hold the alcohol, please!

"Hold the alcohol" as in you don't want to drink, or "hold the alcohol" as in "hold ma beer"? :D

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Also, to add to NYE:

On New Year's Eve, from 7:00PM - 1:00AM, the International Restaurant will be transformed into the "New Year's Eve Lounge" for guests ages 21 and up, where they'll have an opportunity to ring in 2019 in a club-like atmosphere featuring a live DJ, dance floor, lounge area, hand-crafted cocktails and light snacks -- all paired with the stunning view of International Street and the Eiffel Tower. 

Admission granted with a cover charge, which includes one complimentary drink ticket. Space has a limited capacity.  Admission granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Re-entry not guaranteed after leaving the venue. 

Which would be why they aren't having the buffet that night ugh I really wanted to try it! :(

12 minutes ago, TristinTargaryen said:

Y'all think they'll close tonight because of the rain that's coming?

VERY hard to say. During instances of extreme weather they classically have moved the outdoor shows inside but stayed open. It would be worth calling them at 513-754-5700 if you have specific questions about their policies.

22 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Also, to add to NYE:

Great idea!  What is the cover?

24 minutes ago, MonteCristo said:

Is season pass processing center open at Winterfest?  Getting my kids season passes for Christmas, and thought maybe we could make it over there for Winterfest next Friday evening if they are able to get their pass vouchers processed.  

Yes, we've got 4 of them made.  Last time we were there early (4:30) and the building had a sign to go to the windows.  They were set up with cameras and able to process a new pass for my son.

Wow, the park was packed last night!  I am glad to see large crowds, and through the magic of WinerFest, it didn't feel crowded!

I tried the buffet at Reds.  I was not impressed at all.  Glad I had the meal plan so  I had to only pay $5 and I am glad I tried it.  But a decent buffett needs to have more than 5 or 6 selections.  The food was very good (except the green bean casserole, it was too "earthy" for me) but the sweet potato casserole and the mashed potatoes were ice cold!  I think the rolls were left over from Sunday.  Hard as a rock, shrunken and wrinkled. The ham was very good.  It would have been nice to have a soup and a dessert.  (They were not giving out the cookies I have heard so much about.)  I must have just hit the buffet on an off day or time because I have heard great things about it.  I hope the park continues to offer things like this.

I also wanted to try the "international" foods at the Festhaus.  I was still full from the buffet so I wanted to take my second meal "to go."  Got a refill, asked the cashier what time they stopped serving (most places do not stay open until closing except I Street during normal season).  He didn't know and said to ask the folks behind the serving line.  On the way out, I wanted some pull apart bread and they were sold out.  I asked if it were available anywhere else in the park and was told "Uh...I don't know."  Maybe this is part of the root of the food service issue at KI.  Basic things should be common knowledge like closing times and if something is available elsewhere.  Side note: the pull apart bread is awesome and if it is only available, I think the park should look at expanding it to other areas.  It is reasonably priced and an arguable hit.  (but maybe they limit supply to increase the urgency to purchase?)

All this to say--I think that food service has improved at KI.  This is not a rant post!  ;)