Jump to content
Imperial79

Winterfest 2018 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I really like What the Dickens!! A must see in my book, and the Cinnamon Bread!

I really wanted to see that show but I couldn't find it. The KI app has it being located at the arcade in Coney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yippee Skippee said:

I really wanted to see that show but I couldn't find it. The KI app has it being located at the arcade in Coney.

It is in the theater behind the Great Pumpkin Coaster in Planet Snoopy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to WinterFest yesterday (12-15-18) and FINALLY got to check off all the things I didn't get to do in 2017!  Blue Hot Chocolate was good.  Cinnamon bread is good (not as good as the Dollywood version) and I struck gold as I was leaving because they had it at half price.  I also, I was the last one in Coney BBQ, I had the buffet earlier but I just wanted to take home some green beans, they gave me a huge serving of them and sausage and a couple of biscuits.  Park looked great, but I do have to say, the Oktoberfest pond and drained Diamondback splash down have a really funky odor in the winter.

 

I like all the new roaming characters.  The area formerly known as Coney Mall looked wonderful.  I am glad they discontinued WinterFest Way and toned that area down, but I think they could use more lighing in that area.

 

I also kind of wish the tree out front was not there.  It is beautiful but it does kind of obscure the skyline.  It does, however, set the tone for what greets you inside.  I'd like to see it moved in the park with a real tree planted in front that will eventually get about 20-30 feet tall.  Also, light up some more of the trees on the berms.

 

Lastly, the trees on the pathway between IS and AZ (by KI  Theater) didn't have the LED uplights on them,  Were they just off for the night or have they not been on for the rest of the event?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ate at the Reds HOF Grille buffet again.  It was about a busy as last time.  Seems like a lot of the "kinks" were worked out vs last time.  Food was replaced reasonably quickly. Pretty good for $5 w/meal plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I went to WinterFest yesterday (12-15-18) and FINALLY got to check off all the things I didn't get to do in 2017!  Blue Hot Chocolate was good.  Cinnamon bread is good (not as good as the Dollywood version) and I struck gold as I was leaving because they had it at half price.  I also, I was the last one in Coney BBQ, I had the buffet earlier but I just wanted to take home some green beans, they gave me a huge serving of them and sausage and a couple of biscuits.  Park looked great, but I do have to say, the Oktoberfest pond and drained Diamondback splash down have a really funky odor in the winter.

 

I like all the new roaming characters.  The area formerly known as Coney Mall looked wonderful.  I am glad they discontinued WinterFest Way and toned that area down, but I think they could use more lighing in that area.

 

I also kind of wish the tree out front was not there.  It is beautiful but it does kind of obscure the skyline.  It does, however, set the tone for what greets you inside.  I'd like to see it moved in the park with a real tree planted in front that will eventually get about 20-30 feet tall.  Also, light up some more of the trees on the berms.

 

Lastly, the trees on the pathway between IS and AZ (by KI  Theater) didn't have the LED uplights on them,  Were they just off for the night or have they not been on for the rest of the event?

Must’ve just been the night. Been lit every other time. Also agree with the tree out front. Maybe move it where the crazy color tree was in winterfest way that was moved to coney. It’s pretty but almost wasted as you are trying to get in the park ASAP and not spending time in the entry plaza noticing the subtle pattern shifts. Maybe a simpler white lights only tree. Then that big one in its new spot would make a nice backdrop to the international showplace if they ever did a show there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 1:19 AM, Gannersdaddy said:

I have had Zen rides but never a Zen dining experience until tonight

20181214_211928.jpg

That is true Chicken Shack ERT!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the park has made it official about NYE ride times:

Oh, What Fun It Is To Ride • 5:00PM – 12:00AM 

Enjoy your final rides of the year on some of your favorite attractions. 

*Ride operations subject to change due to weather

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This event has just blown me away this year. 4x and counting, and everything we did last night we hadn’t done before (except sledding but with no line at 5 why not -3 times!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jdf21972 said:

the park has made it official about NYE ride times:

Oh, What Fun It Is To Ride • 5:00PM – 12:00AM 

Enjoy your final rides of the year on some of your favorite attractions. 

*Ride operations subject to change due to weather

Also, to add to NYE:

On New Year's Eve, from 7:00PM - 1:00AM, the International Restaurant will be transformed into the "New Year's Eve Lounge" for guests ages 21 and up, where they'll have an opportunity to ring in 2019 in a club-like atmosphere featuring a live DJ, dance floor, lounge area, hand-crafted cocktails and light snacks -- all paired with the stunning view of International Street and the Eiffel Tower. 

Admission granted with a cover charge, which includes one complimentary drink ticket. Space has a limited capacity.  Admission granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Re-entry not guaranteed after leaving the venue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 3:06 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

That is true Chicken Shack ERT!

Wouldn't it be EFT (early/exclusive food time)?

Unless they've found a way we can ride food...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Wouldn't it be EFT (early/exclusive food time)?

Unless they've found a way we can ride food...

We don't get hung up on the acronym meaning. Everyone knows what ERT means and easily rolls off the tongue.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a dance party in the International Restaraunt for New Year's*? Sign me up!!! :D

Between this, Flight of Cheer, and Winterfest in the same night, New Years is gonna be amazing!

*Hold the alcohol, please!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

So, a dance party in the International Restaraunt for New Year's*? Sign me up!!! :D

Between this, Flight of Cheer, and Winterfest in the same night, New Years is gonna be amazing!

*Hold the alcohol, please!

"Hold the alcohol" as in you don't want to drink, or "hold the alcohol" as in "hold ma beer"? :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

"Hold the alcohol" as in you don't want to drink, or "hold the alcohol" as in "hold ma beer"? :D

If that's the case, the party may look like this:

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Also, to add to NYE:

On New Year's Eve, from 7:00PM - 1:00AM, the International Restaurant will be transformed into the "New Year's Eve Lounge" for guests ages 21 and up, where they'll have an opportunity to ring in 2019 in a club-like atmosphere featuring a live DJ, dance floor, lounge area, hand-crafted cocktails and light snacks -- all paired with the stunning view of International Street and the Eiffel Tower. 

Admission granted with a cover charge, which includes one complimentary drink ticket. Space has a limited capacity.  Admission granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Re-entry not guaranteed after leaving the venue. 

Which would be why they aren't having the buffet that night ugh I really wanted to try it! :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

"Hold the alcohol" as in you don't want to drink, or "hold the alcohol" as in "hold ma beer"? :D

As in, I don't drink.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JubJester said:

If that's the case, the party may look like this:

 

@MDMC01 would be break dancing all night long after a few drinks. I think you hit the nail on the head with Buddy the Elf. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... I think you mean Mountain Dew lol.

-MDMC, who does not drink alcohol, but can get hyper on Mountain Dew

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TristinTargaryen said:

Y'all think they'll close tonight because of the rain that's coming?

VERY hard to say. During instances of extreme weather they classically have moved the outdoor shows inside but stayed open. It would be worth calling them at 513-754-5700 if you have specific questions about their policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Also, to add to NYE:

On New Year's Eve, from 7:00PM - 1:00AM, the International Restaurant will be transformed into the "New Year's Eve Lounge" for guests ages 21 and up, where they'll have an opportunity to ring in 2019 in a club-like atmosphere featuring a live DJ, dance floor, lounge area, hand-crafted cocktails and light snacks -- all paired with the stunning view of International Street and the Eiffel Tower. 

 Admission granted with a cover charge, which includes one complimentary drink ticket. Space has a limited capacity.  Admission granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Re-entry not guaranteed after leaving the venue. 

Great idea!  What is the cover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Great idea!  What is the cover?

They haven't posted it yet.  I'm very curious too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is season pass processing center open at Winterfest?  Getting my kids season passes for Christmas, and thought maybe we could make it over there for Winterfest next Friday evening if they are able to get their pass vouchers processed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MonteCristo said:

Is season pass processing center open at Winterfest?  Getting my kids season passes for Christmas, and thought maybe we could make it over there for Winterfest next Friday evening if they are able to get their pass vouchers processed.  

Yes, we've got 4 of them made.  Last time we were there early (4:30) and the building had a sign to go to the windows.  They were set up with cameras and able to process a new pass for my son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was close to getting the RHoF Buffet tonight, but then realized I'd have to pay full price for my 4 year old to eat half a roll and say she was full. One day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, the park was packed last night!  I am glad to see large crowds, and through the magic of WinerFest, it didn't feel crowded!

I tried the buffet at Reds.  I was not impressed at all.  Glad I had the meal plan so  I had to only pay $5 and I am glad I tried it.  But a decent buffett needs to have more than 5 or 6 selections.  The food was very good (except the green bean casserole, it was too "earthy" for me) but the sweet potato casserole and the mashed potatoes were ice cold!  I think the rolls were left over from Sunday.  Hard as a rock, shrunken and wrinkled. The ham was very good.  It would have been nice to have a soup and a dessert.  (They were not giving out the cookies I have heard so much about.)  I must have just hit the buffet on an off day or time because I have heard great things about it.  I hope the park continues to offer things like this.

 

I also wanted to try the "international" foods at the Festhaus.  I was still full from the buffet so I wanted to take my second meal "to go."  Got a refill, asked the cashier what time they stopped serving (most places do not stay open until closing except I Street during normal season).  He didn't know and said to ask the folks behind the serving line.  On the way out, I wanted some pull apart bread and they were sold out.  I asked if it were available anywhere else in the park and was told "Uh...I don't know."  Maybe this is part of the root of the food service issue at KI.  Basic things should be common knowledge like closing times and if something is available elsewhere.  Side note: the pull apart bread is awesome and if it is only available, I think the park should look at expanding it to other areas.  It is reasonably priced and an arguable hit.  (but maybe they limit supply to increase the urgency to purchase?)

All this to say--I think that food service has improved at KI.  This is not a rant post!  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...