That Pesky IPhone Police Auto-Dial

gforce1994

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Five rapid clicks on the sleep/wake button?  What else do you have in your pocket?  

Just turn the feature off while in the park, it’s just a slider.

Nothing. The gforces of the ride causes the clicking of the buttons on the phone.

14 minutes ago, TheRickster said:

I to follow boddah on instagram. :D

Thanks.

But I told my story on Facebook. :rolleyes:

I got a call while in the shed from an unknown number. Googled it after the ride was over and it was Warren County Dispatch. I freaked out for a second thinking that something had happened before I realized that my call history showed that I called 911 one minute before.

I called back and told the lady what had happened. She was very nice and very professional.

I’m guessing this happens a lot.

And yes - the SOS button combo is now disabled on my iPhone X. 

• Like 5

This has happened to me three times - once each at Kings Island, Kings Dominion and Six Flags Great Adventure. It's important to stay on the line (or answer, if they hang up and call back) so they know there's not a real emergency.

The dispatchers in Virginia and New Jersey were nice about it. Warren County told me to be more careful. Making emergency call mode easy to access while preventing accidental calls is easier said than done.

When this happens with a satellite communications device, it can be a lot worse.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, malem said:

This has happened to me three times - once each at Kings Island, Kings Dominion and Six Flags Great Adventure. It's important to stay on the line (or answer, if they hang up and call back) so they know there's not a real emergency.

The dispatchers in Virginia and New Jersey were nice about it. Warren County told me to be more careful. Making emergency call mode easy to access while preventing accidental calls is easier said than done.

When this happens with a satellite communications device, it can be a lot worse.

Yes, however a lot people use iPhones, and I bet this happens to a large majority of individuals without them realizing.

The "feature," with such an easily accidental activation, is only on the newest iPhones, which is probably why one doesn't hear about it happening more often, yet. As time goes on, and more people upgrade, this will most likely become a more widespread problem. Ultimately, Apple will probably either change the way it works or do an information campaign so people know more about what can cause an accidental 911 call. 

On my iPhone, which is from a previous generation, the same "feature" requires interaction with the screen after repeatedly hitting the button, so it is extremely less likely to be activated unintentionally. 

• Like 3

https://www.imore.com/how-set-and-use-emergency-sos-your-iphone-ios-11

According to this iMore article by default the iPhone 8, 8+ and X require the sleep/wake button AND one volume button pressed to active. So that is two simultaneous button presses.  The 7 and older iPhones just require the 5 sleep/wake button presses.  

In all cases the auto-call setting must be set to ON or a screen slider is required to place the emergency call. Apple has provided the tools to prevent most accidental emergency calling but getting users to use those tools is another problem.  

Of course the park could help by fixing/replacing excessively rough coasters.  :D

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

https://www.imore.com/how-set-and-use-emergency-sos-your-iphone-ios-11

According to this iMore article by default the iPhone 8, 8+ and X require the sleep/wake button AND one volume button pressed to active. So that is two simultaneous button presses.  The 7 and older iPhones just require the 5 sleep/wake button presses.  

In all cases the auto-call setting must be set to ON or a screen slider is required to place the emergency call. Apple has provided the tools to prevent most accidental emergency calling but getting users to use those tools is another problem.  

Of course the park could help by fixing/replacing excessively rough coasters.  :D

It seems to be happening a lot on Diamondback, from what I’ve heard.

7 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

All of the reports I’ve heard include IPhone 8 and above. 

Cool story? 

The link King Ding Dong shared talks about the different models and how it works. I shared that with my phone I have not had the issue. I didn't ask for a clarification on what you've heard.