Harlem Globetrotters at the park May 5-6

LuvingKI

I brought my daughter up today to see specifically the 4:00 showing because we couldn't get there until around 2:00. She was kinda upset when she found out we missed the show. Kings Island needs to find a good solution on ways to communicate information out to the public in the park, not all are carrying around their phones such as me. I was in line for RFYLCB when they began the show, did they do any announcement and I just didn't hear it?

33 minutes ago, Yippee Skippee said:

I don't know if the 1:00 show yesterday was any different due to it raining, but the Globetrotters barely did anything. It was mostly just bringing kids up and have them shoot. Which would be fine if I were a kid I guess, but I wanted to see them do what they do best. 

Agreed, I only saw yesterdays 1pm show and wasn't much to it...

If anyone was there today (Sun) at the 1p show and has any pics from when they brought up 3 kids and 3 adults please let me know. My husband was the tall, bald guy but I was off to the side by the fountains and never got any decent pics, thanks!

• Like 3

There was an announcement made about the time change over the PA: we heard it as we were rushing over after I saw the tweet. I only saw the tweet because it came right around the time I was tweeting about the Real Live Humans show in the Festhaus. I probably only really registered what the announcement was actually saying because I already knew, though, because they had been running several announcements about the shows throughout the day.

I do think it was handled a little poorly, and the weather didn't really go sour until after the show would have been over if they kept the original time. I'm assuming that's why they had moved it earlier, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

We went on Saturday.  I thought they would be doing more trick than just having guest up there shooting basketballs.  Kind of lame but the Globetrotters were very funny.  

1.  Rude guest who put there kids on the shoulders.  Makes it impossible for my family to see.  I refuse to put my child on my shoulders because I find it super rude for the people behind you.

2. Rude guest holding up their cell phones for a picture.  Come on people.  Put your phones down and just enjoy the moment.  Also its annoying when my 5 year old child can't see because your holding your phone up.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

We decided to skip it. The basketball goal they had set up looked like something at the end of a driveway for kids to play on...which kind of made me think it would end up being rinky dink. Looks like we didn't miss much! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KImom said:

We decided to skip it. The basketball goal they had set up looked like something at the end of a driveway for kids to play on...which kind of made me think it would end up being rinky dink. Looks like we didn't miss much! 

I was wondering where they got the basketball goal. My guess is it’s on loan from an employee. Just imagine telling your neighbors who played on your hoop!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I was wondering where they got the basketball goal. My guess is it’s on loan from an employee. Just imagine telling your neighbors who played on your hoop!

Right?? lol  "Hey Jimmy, we're gonna need you to bring that goal of yours in on your next shift..."  

I mean, they're the Harlem Globetrotters! You'd think their mobile setup would be a little more sophisticated. :blink:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think, ideally, they should have held this in the International Showcase. However if that wasn't an option for whatever reason, they could have gone with a set-up like they have for Blood Drums, blocking off and using an area in front of the stage as well as the stage itself. It makes for a much wider "front row" and moves people out to the area where the land starts to slope back up toward the Eiffel Tower, making it easier for everyone to see the actual stage.

As it was I ended up relatively close to the stage at the first show Sunday but couldn't see very well below anyone on stage's waist (which is where a lot of basketball action tends to happen) and couldn't really see the kids on stage at all, because the people in front of me were standing on higher ground. The second show I was able to find a spot to stand on the wall at the base of the tower, so I could see fairly well until some guy walked back and put a child on his shoulders and stood roughly in front of me.

The "rude behavior" witnessed by flightoffear1996 was actually heavily encouraged by the show itself. Before the players came out, the DJ made a very big deal about taking all kinds of pictures and videos and sharing them using #harlemglobetrotters. Then, nearly all kids who were chosen for the stage were only visible to be picked because they were on parents' shoulders. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I think, ideally, they should have held this in the International Showcase. However if that wasn't an option for whatever reason, they could have gone with a set-up like they have for Blood Drums, blocking off and using an area in front of the stage as well as the stage itself. It makes for a much wider "front row" and moves people out to the area where the land starts to slope back up toward the Eiffel Tower, making it easier for everyone to see the actual stage.

As it was I ended up relatively close to the stage at the first show Sunday but couldn't see very well below anyone on stage's waist (which is where a lot of basketball action tends to happen) and couldn't really see the kids on stage at all, because the people in front of me were standing on higher ground. The second show I was able to find a spot to stand on the wall at the base of the tower, so I could see fairly well until some guy walked back and put a child on his shoulders and stood roughly in front of me.

The "rude behavior" witnessed by flightoffear1996 was actually heavily encouraged by the show itself. Before the players came out, the DJ made a very big deal about taking all kinds of pictures and videos and sharing them using #harlemglobetrotters. Then, nearly all kids who were chosen for the stage were only visible to be picked because they were on parents' shoulders. 

I was pretty disappointed that there were only 3 members and you're right, there wasn't much that they did. I saw the rude behavior as well, that's why I went and stood by sweet spot,. I know the only reason my husband got picked was because he's so tall, he can be seen easier. And yeah that dj really did encourage rude behavior.

• Like 1

You know I thought it was odd that the park didn't make any announcements over the speakers regarding the Globetrotters. They didn't even make the announcement to remind people to only smoke in designated areas!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KatieF said:

You know I thought it was odd that the park didn't make any announcements over the speakers regarding the Globetrotters. They didn't even make the announcement to remind people to only smoke in designated areas!

Unfortunately the smoking is an issue every time we are there, my husband smokes but he only does it in the designated areas, I will never understand people that can't walk a little and smoke where they are supposed to.

• Like 3

Unfortunately the smoking is an issue every time we are there, my husband smokes but he only does it in the designated areas, I will never understand people that can't walk a little and smoke where they are supposed to.

I think it would be great to start a new thread where we can post photos of people smoking outside of the designated smoke areas. Like a hall of shame thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I enjoyed the show, but yeah, I originally thought there would be more than 3 players. Also, I thought it was weird that the DJ emphasized/encouraged people to "Get [their] phones out" and putting stuff on social media (and repeatedly, too...), but hey, I guess that's the world we live in. I didn't get my phone out or even get an autograph (I did meet them all following the 4 PM show*), but I still had a blast!

*Speaking of the meet-and-greet, I thought that was handled poorly as it was like a free-for-all as you had to move towards the players so they could sign stuff/get pictures. I would have preferred a line, even if each of the Globetrotters stood in one place and the guests went down the line.

Bottom line: Great show (and definitely was like a pre-cursor to Cirque), but I also agree with a lot of the sentiments presented in this thread. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chuck norris said:

I think it would be great to start a new thread where we can post photos of people smoking outside of the designated smoke areas. Like a hall of shame thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize, I didn't mean that I actually would it's just frustration.

• Like 1