No cameras allowed in Kings Island?

BoddaH1994

I stumbled across this on YouTube. He was allegedly told he couldn’t have a camera on property. I’m pretty sure that’s not the official policy. Does anyone know more about this?

Wow... someone needs to learn their place... no 12 year old security guards either....
  • Like 3

From the Kings Island website:

For safety reasons, we cannot permit on-ride photography of any kind on any ride other than the Eiffel Tower and the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad. Due to the potential for water damage, White Water Canyon, Congo Falls and Race for Your Life Charlie Brown riders should leave their cameras and other valuable items with a non-rider or in a locker. Use of camera phones or any type of photography or video recording devices is prohibited in any rest room or Soak City changing area.

Guests taking pictures or video while riding may be asked to leave the park with no refund given and a misdemeanor under O.R.C. 1711.551.

• Like 2

The video doesn't show the type of camera equipment being carried, so it's hard to know the context. KI encourages guests to take pictures and video around the park, except where restricted (i.e. on rides and in restrooms/changing areas).

One generally does need permission for "commercial" photography, such as for (paid) stock photos/videos. It's possible that this YouTuber had equipment, such as a stabilizing rig or very long lens, that made him stand out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, malem said:

The video doesn't show the type of camera equipment being carried, so it's hard to know the context. KI encourages guests to take pictures and video around the park, except where restricted (i.e. on rides and in restrooms/changing areas).

One generally does needs permission for "commercial" photography, such as for (paid) stock photos/videos. It's possible that this YouTuber had equipment, such as a stabilizing rig or very long lens, that made him stand out.

Good point, and could be a reasonable explanation.

• Like 1

I’ve heard of a guy who was a photographer who was a nuisance around the park. He would take photos of families on his own and try to sell it to them. I can’t remember who it was, but they used to tweet at me when I ran KIC’s twitter all the time. I’m not sure if this is the guy or not.

• Like 3

Upon further review- it sounded like the guard was saying that cameras weren't allowed on the rides/roller coasters (the last word he said as it cut out started with an 'r' to me).  I guess the cameraman took that as a no cameras in the park spiel. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Upon further review- it sounded like the guard was saying that cameras weren't allowed on the rides/roller coasters (the last word he said as it cut out started with an 'r' to me).  I guess the cameraman took that as a no cameras in the park spiel. 

I heard "you can't have cameras out in the park." 

So many people walk around with camera...why was he singled out to be reminded by a security guard that cameras weren't allowed on rides? Shouldn't security rely on ride operators to catch that? 

• Like 1

The security guard appeared to not like that he specifically had been filmed by the guy.

I had a similar thing where an employee tried to tell me I couldn't take pictures of something at Winterfest, that seemed more of an attempt to make sure I didn't take pictures of him (not a security guard in my case), even though I didn't want him in the picture either so... I went ahead and finished taking my pic and he got out of my way. I figured whatever reason he had for wanting to avoid being photographed, he probably didn't want his supervisors or security involved, so he just left me alone at that point. I know it isn't against park rules to take pictures when you aren't on rides (or in restrooms/changing rooms, obviously).

I would personally have taken the OP video to guest services and asked for clarification of the rules on photography, and nipped that little power-trip in the bud by bringing the attention of his superiors, if that's what it was. It's what it looked like. 

By entering the park, we are agreeing to the possibility of being filmed or photographed for park promotion purposes (its on the back of every ticket and in our pass agreements), so it is a little silly for any employee to think they can or should bully people out of photographing or recording. 

• Like 8

I'm guessing he had some pretty crazy equipment. But also there are probably some areas they would begin to wonder about the activity behind the camera. I'm sure security has quite a bit of awareness for people taking pictures of others who are not knowingly related to the camera operator, there is also a safety risk should something be scoped out especially at the front gate such as this. Other parks also ban filming people not in your party, KI will police this on their own for when they feel like someone is being a nuisance to others. I believe Holiday World has gotten some people upset because they've told people not to even film rides. (They have signs up about not taking pictures that could include people not in your party).

They probably assumed he was using professional gear and would need special park permission.

• Like 1

In this video, it doesn't look like he's done anything wrong. You are allowed to have cameras and camcorders at the park. You just can't have them on rides, in restricted areas, or use them to harass people, which he may have been doing prior to filming this clip. 

It doesn't look like he's using a steadicam, so I am not sure if it is his equipment, if he had any equipment. He may have just been bugging people with questions for whatever video he was making and people reported him. 

• Like 1

I think that's very unlikely. He had just come through security, when that particular guard noticed him as he walked by simply filming the crowd (we can hear from the audio that he isn't being offensive to other patrons), then apparently jogged after him to tell him cameras aren't allowed.  

If he was being offensive to people before walking through security, chances are the multiple guards and officers there would have confronted him and we wouldn't be seeing this mild walk towards the gates. I would also hope that harassing behavior would be what a guard would address if that were the case, not the presence of a camera. And if his camera set-up was somehow suspicious or "too professional", I would also expect the guards and officers manning the metal detectors to take care of the situation rather than letting him through. This definitely seems to be a single guard deciding to make up a random "rule" that he needed to enforce.

• Like 3

I brought a camera slider, two tripods, and a full video camera rig into the park on a normal operating day once.

The difference is, I told them what I was doing in advance and got permission to do it.

Not knowing what gear this guy was using or bringing in makes this situation a little fuzzy.

• Like 4

Judging by his comments on the video doesn't seem like he's holding any ill towards Kings Island as an entity and thinks it's probably just a training issue with it being opening day for Kings Island, he said he had no issues with any other security guards and his equipment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAHill said:

I brought a camera slider, two tripods, and a full video camera rig into the park on a normal operating day once.

The difference is, I told them what I was doing in advance and got permission to do it.

Not knowing what gear this guy was using or bringing in makes this situation a little fuzzy.

This, when you start showing up with equipment, and judging by the smoothness and random panning towards the end, (ironically right at the approaching security associate). It's really hard to differentiate between commercial work and personal use.

• Like 2

I visited the photographers website, there are some very nice photos there. The site features many different topics, including lots of Kings Island. It is pretty obvious the photographer is taking pictures of people that are not in his party...and offers prints for sell on the site. I am guessing the park has become familiar with the photographer and that is why he was singled out...just my guess though. 

On a side note, I am also curious what kind of camera he was using, if you watch the video his hand/arm partially “fade out”.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, standbyme said:

I visited the photographers website, there are some very nice photos there. The site features many different topics, including lots of Kings Island. It is pretty obvious the photographer is taking pictures of people that are not in his party...and offers prints for sell on the site. I am guessing the park has become familiar with the photographer and that is why he was singled out...just my guess though. 

On a side note, I am also curious what kind of camera he was using, if you watch the video his hand/arm partially “fade out”.

But wouldn't this include the many YouTuber vloggers who monetize?  

• Like 1

Yeah, that is a definite no no. You need to have a model release for anyone in your photo that is distinguishable if you plan to sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On May 8, 2018 at 9:53 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

I think that's very unlikely. He had just come through security, when that particular guard noticed him as he walked by simply filming the crowd (we can hear from the audio that he isn't being offensive to other patrons), then apparently jogged after him to tell him cameras aren't allowed.  

Good point. The clip does start right next to the security perimeter and it does appear the guard just spotted him and made up some rule. It's hard for me to make an accurate judgment when you can't what the guy looks like, what he's using with the camera, and what he's doing when he's not filming.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, standbyme said:

The good news is that KI knows and can actively kick out the wrongdoers.

• Like 1

Something similar to some of the stories being told above, I had an issue in Backlot's queue line. I was filming (with a phone) the launch of the train before me, and some ride op told me I couldn't take video of the ride and asked me to delete the video (I didn't delete it). I don't know if it was a power trip or what.

I know it wasn't a deal of them not wanting to be filmed  (like the situation @Magenta Lizard brought up), because she was way behind me by the control panel by row 6.

I never saw said person working again during the rest of the season or ever again. Makes me wonder if people went to guest services on her before.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JubJester said:

Something similar to some of the stories being told above, I had an issue in Backlot's queue line. I was filming (with a phone) the launch of the train before me, and some ride op told me I couldn't take video of the ride and asked me to delete the video (I didn't delete it). I don't know if it was a power trip or what.

I know it wasn't a deal of them not wanting to be filmed  (like the situation @Magenta Lizard brought up), because she was way behind me by the control panel by row 6.

I never saw said person working again during the rest of the season or ever again. Makes me wonder if people went to guest services on her before.

Did you go to guest services about this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

So you can confirm that it isn’t the policy to not be allowed to film the rides?

My guess is that they did something wrong and didn’t want it on film. 

It's not that policy. I was standing in the queue line itself when I was filming. She came up to me after the launch, and before the next train arrived. Telling me to delete it.

I'll have to find the video on my laptop  to see if they did do something wrong. Has that happened before?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JubJester said:

It's not that policy. I was standing in the queue line itself when I was filming. She came up to me after the launch, and before the next train arrived. Telling me to delete it.

I'll have to find the video on my laptop  to see if they did do something wrong. Has that happened before?

What did guest services say about filming in the station? Asking you to delete the video seems above a ride op's level of authority. Wouldn't that be security's responsibility? :huh:

• Like 1