Timberwolf/ Congo Falls Poll

SonofBaconator

Timberwolf/Congo Falls Poll  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

Or you should just go when it's open :) I've gotten drinks from there many a times.

Just like WindSeeker, I am resigned to the probability it will just never happen.

@Maverick44 becuase there is no profit in booking non-Christian artists anymore.   Can you name some other regional parks that book rock/pop acts?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

^Darien Lake in upstate New York had Pentatonix perform there last summer. I don't know if Darien Lake is classified as regional park, but it's close (it's definitely more than a local park).

So I just asked my wife about Pentantonix who just happened to be visiting with her RCA rep at the Sony building in NYC this morning.  They are a very niche act, like Christian groups, that can draw a crowd to the park that might not normally attend.  They do very well and by the nature of their act their shows are not very expensive to produce.  In addition the non-discounted gate price at Darian is substantially less than KI making the total cost for someone to attend much less.   

In short, niche groups with dedicated followings can succeed at a park but getting someone to pay $50 or more for a concert ticket plus park admission is difficult and carries high risk for the park and promoters.

Concerts are no longer “promotional tours” for an album like they were before the digital age.  They have to make money.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

How is there not a profit from just having things booked there. Maybe it doesn't need to be a concert.

Because the bigger acts want some pretty big cuts.  For example, I hear Riverbend loses money on Jimmy Buffett concerts.

• Like 1

Here's an idea for a Skyride location.  Start at Timberwolf, will have to make a few transitions to cross some areas and not conflict with anything currently there, and end of the Crypt building.  It may need a second story entrance/exit at the box to clear Beast and Vortex. 

Not sure how tall they go, so thinking Giga-skyride is probably out of the question.

Edit: Did not see the lower text box out of position until I posted this.  It should be near the Crypt building.  Sorry

Skyride Map Concept.jpg

• Like 3

With a little tweaking, you could just do a straight end to end route.  Just move the Action Zone station a bit to the left and the Rivertown station a bit to the right.   Just enough to avoid Drop Tower and the Eiffel Tower. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Like what?   A Cat Show?  

Cats will be hard to see sitting in the back, maybe a bear show?

Why not have local talent bands, they are always looking to get their music out there and sell CD's. I still think they could have local HS bands and Choirs there on weekends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No Big Cats, you know the kind that can jump off the stage and terrorize and maul people and get PETA to protest the park.   But bears can suffice.  :D

Regarding local bands or HS music groups do you really think a significant crowd is going to choose that over rides?  The few minutes of darkness at the park is precious to me.  If there isn’t an upcharge for it then it is an expense.  Does that bring people to the park who otherwise wouldn’t be there?   Do they cut the budget for the other live shows?  

Maybe, but the business case just seems really thin.

You just don’t see parks doing this kind of thing anymore and there is a reason for that.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Cats will be hard to see sitting in the back, maybe a bear show?

Why not have local talent bands, they are always looking to get their music out there and sell CD's. I still think they could have local HS bands and Choirs there on weekends. 

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.  There is your show.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, VortexBFForever said:

^Darien Lake in upstate New York had Pentatonix perform there last summer. I don't know if Darien Lake is classified as regional park, but it's close (it's definitely more than a local park).

Warped Tour also made a stop at Darien Lake. 

Though I do agree with the idea of a big show at Timberwolf (when its not being used for comcerts)- why not have a bird show like Kentucky Kingdom or the Cincinnati Zoo does?

EDIT: OR, they could move the dog show to Timberwolf and expand it to feature other animals, if they so choose.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 11:14 PM, King Ding Dong said:

I voted no becuase it is clearly still profitable to have it.   When and if it becomes not profitable or they need the space for something more profitable they can do something with it.  Like put in a Skyride station.  :P

"Profitable" is not the question here.  Everything in the developed park is profitable or else it's gone in the blink of an eye.  They likely determine the future of things like this by revenue per square foot, like how retailers do it.  Timberwolf makes a bang for 3 days and then is generally empty.  I'm not sure how the park views it.  From an outsiders standpoint it seems like they'd want to utilize it all year but they may view it as not really hurting anything and making them a fair amount of money during Spirit Song, which is why it stays.

Regardless, the day will come when they see the land as being more valuable than what its being utilized and it will come day.  Could be next year, could be in 50 years.

55 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

"Profitable" is not the question here.  Everything in the developed park is profitable or else it's gone in the blink of an eye.  They likely determine the future of things like this by revenue per square foot, like how retailers do it.  Timberwolf makes a bang for 3 days and then is generally empty.  I'm not sure how the park views it.  From an outsiders standpoint it seems like they'd want to utilize it all year but they may view it as not really hurting anything and making them a fair amount of money during Spirit Song, which is why it stays.

Regardless, the day will come when they see the land as being more valuable than what its being utilized and it will come day.  Could be next year, could be in 50 years.

It is used about as much as PBS for the Bengals but didn't cost as much to build or maintain:P

Using the analogy of it's not used enough, should we tear down the stadium?  Some people would say yes, although a few less today would say yes since the Bengals won yesterday:P