Cedar Fair's Strongest Performer in 2017 was KI

Creed Bratton

Take it for what's it's worth, but it's being reported that KI has had a 2.5% increase on attendance. I do not know how this publication gets their numbers for attendance, since Cedar Fair doesn't release their attendance numbers by park (that I know of and have seen). But it's kind of exciting.

Quoted from the link below: 

The strongest Cedar Fair performer in 2017 was Kings Island, with a 2.5% increase driven largely by the new Mystic Timbers roller coaster experience.

https://www.aecom.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2017-Theme-Museum-Index.pdf

• Like 5

Assuming those numbers are accurate, which I have heard they are not, Canada`s Wonderland is the number one seasonal CF park. Followed by Cedar Point and Kings Island.  Knott`s Berry Farm ranked higher, due to it being the only park in the chain that is open year round.

It is amazing that the Magic Kingdom attracts nearly 20 million visitors a year.  Nearly seven times what Kings Island attracts.

• Like 3

(Hows it going today everyone) I’m not entirely shocked but i would be shocked if KI increases this year in attendance with no new attraction (excluding the new coney BBQ),only way I could see an increase in attendance this year is if KI starts to tease new attraction(s) this year and get more shows to perform throughout the season.

• Like 1

Just now, King Ding Dong said:

How do they handle the differences in waterparks since CPS is a separate gate and SC is included in the KI gate?

Soak City (KI) is bundled with KI while a separated gated one yields its own attendance, I imagine. It all depends on how they want to count it. 

To my point before, check out this math:

Lets say KI does 3.2 million visitors per year in 2016. That’s a reasonable assumption. A 2.5% increases year over year would put them at about 3.28 million. An 80,000 increase.

Lets say there were 20 operating days for Winterfest. That’s an understatement, but a few days were almost throw away since they were so cold.

That’s 4,000 per day.

Think they did 4,000 per day during Winterfest?

I’d say so.

• Like 1

I'm not saying Mystic was the whole reason for the +2.5%, but CF did say before Winterfest that attendance was good at KI and Mystic was the main reason in their quarterly results last year for it being up.  

Good to see last year was great for KI, and CF's best performer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Soak City (KI) is bundled with KI while a separated gated one yields its own attendance, I imagine. It all depends on how they want to count it. 

To my point before, check out this math:

Lets say KI does 3.2 million visitors per year in 2016. That’s a reasonable assumption. A 2.5% increases year over year would put them at about 3.28 million. An 80,000 increase.

Lets say there were 20 operating days for Winterfest. That’s an understatement, but a few days were almost throw away since they were so cold.

That’s 4,000 per day.

Think they did 4,000 per day during Winterfest?

I’d say so.

But that is assuming they got 4K a day. This video I shot from the final day shows that the park was empty when the temperature dropped. When I mean empty, I mean less than 500, or 12.5% of the stated estimate of 4000.

Wasn’t last season particularly rainy as well? I’m just asking since people may have held off visits due to the weather.

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

But that is assuming they got 4K a day. This video I shot from the final day shows that the park was empty when the temperature dropped. When I mean empty, I mean less than 500, or 12.5% of the stated estimate of 4000.

Wasn’t last season particularly rainy as well? I’m just asking since people may have held off visits due to the weather.

I’m willing to say that the good days greatly offset the the bad days. Also, I took a few days out of the equation for this.