Size Restrictions? Worried About Fitting

CoasterGirl1421

Hello all! I am a female, and I'm (hopefully) about to embark on a trip to KI next weekend. I haven't been to the park in several years, then I was much smaller. I recently have lost about 20 pounds since my heaviest (302) but I'm still worried about fitting on the rides!!

I am 5'9" tall and about 280 pounds. My bust is 51.5", hips are 51.5", my waist at the smallest point is 40.5", my lower belly is 52", and my thighs are each 31"...

Should I be worried at all? I have debated telling my boyfriend that maybe we should do something else next weekend, but he really wants to go... I just don't want him forking out the money for tickets if I can't ride anything, and In  most certainly do not want to be embarrassed in front of him because I don't fit!!

Coasters used to be be my favorite, but now I'm terrified that I'll have to do the walk of shame! Please, anybody who has insight, let me know! Thank you all! You're advice is much appreciated! 

• Like 1

Welcome to KIC! Try searching this forum; many people have created similar threads to this in the past, and those threads contain a lot of helpful information for people like you.

Being a 5'6", 165-pound guy, I can't really help you with specific advice, but can offer a general thought: Some rides (Diamondback, Delirium, and Banshee) have test seats at the entrance that you can try before getting in line. On all other rides, you can go up the exit and ask a ride op to test fit a seat before getting in line. Many people do not know that this is an option, but it is stated to be available in the Guest Assistance Guide here: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/help/rider-height-safety

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcgoble3 said:

Welcome to KIC! Try searching this forum; many people have created similar threads to this in the past, and those threads contain a lot of helpful information for people like you.

Being a 5'6", 165-pound guy, I can't really help you with specific advice, but can offer a general thought: Some rides (Diamondback, Delirium, and Banshee) have test seats at the entrance that you can try before getting in line. On all other rides, you can go up the exit and ask a ride op to test fit a seat before getting in line. Many people do not know that this is an option, but it is stated to be available in the Guest Assistance Guide here: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/help/rider-height-safety

Thank you for your reply! My fella is wanting to purchase us both the 1 day all inclusive passes... but I am afraid to go along with this if I'm not going to be able to ride anything... I really don't want him paying $350 for one day when I "might" be able to fit IF I try the test seats once we are already there... does that make sense? I'm freaking out over here...!

• Like 1

As a big guy myself I can tell you it depends on the ride as restraints are different.  I am similar to your specs but as a male we carry it differently.   Some rides, especially with overhead restraints, can cause women with larger chests problems, sometimes it is the belly that causes problems. 

The two that are in general the toughest for people are Drop Tower and Flight of Fear.  Row 4 on Banshee has some larger restraints. In general, I think women have an easier time than men becuase we carry most in the gut but women carry weight more distributed. 

As long as you are fine with allowing the ride ops to do what we call “stapling” (giving a good push on the restraints) I suspect you will be fine on most rides.  It may be a little tight but you will still have fun.   Bulky and restrictive clothing can cause problems as well so I wouldn’t recommend jeans. 

One trick I use is to pick your row based on the ride op that is working the rows.   The 200lb 6’ 2” male ride op is likely going to be able to staple you better than the 100lb 5’ 3” female op. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

As a big guy myself I can tell you it depends on the ride as restraints are different.  I am similar to your specs but as a male we carry it differently.   Some rides, especially with overhead restraints, can cause women with larger chests problems, sometimes it is the belly that causes problems. 

The two that are in general the toughest for people are Drop Tower and Flight of Fear.  Row 4 on Banshee has some larger restraints. In general, I think women have an easier time than men becuase we carry most in the gut but women carry weight more distributed. 

As long as you are fine with allowing the ride ops to do what we call “stapling” (giving a good push on the restraints) I suspect you will be fine on most rides.  It may be a little tight but you will still have fun.   Bulky and restrictive clothing can cause problems as well so I wouldn’t recommend jeans. 

One trick I use is to pick your row based on the ride op that is working the rows.   The 200lb 6’ 2” male ride op is likely going to be able to staple you better than the 100lb 5’ 3” female op. 

Thank you so much! I am still pretty nervous, but we will see what comes of it I suppose. I have been dieting and working out for several months, because I knew this was going to be an approaching thing. Lol! I'm really just worried about being humiliated in front of my boyfriend. We've only been together 6 months... and if he's paying all this money for us to go have a fun weekend, then I don't fit, I will be mortified. I appreciate your feedback! Wish me luck. 

• Like 2

I honestly don't think you are going to have issues, I see many women a lot bigger that fit on the rides. As someone else said, Drop Tower might not fit, my husband last year didn't fit but we've been going to the gym and he fits with help. Last night I saw a lot of women that looked a lot heavier than you fit on the rides. Remember your boyfriend loves you and I highly doubt he would make you feel humiliated. I think KI is much more weight friendly than say Cedar Point. We were up there this week and even with working out my husband still didn't fit in wicked twister. I commend you that you are working on losing it, I'm right there with you. I was told when I first started going to the gym to have patience, it takes time and it does, but it really pays off. I hope you have a wonderful time at KI, I know you will, it's an awesome place!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, harmony29 said:

I honestly don't think you are going to have issues, I see many women a lot bigger that fit on the rides. As someone else said, Drop Tower might not fit, my husband last year didn't fit but we've been going to the gym and he fits with help. Last night I saw a lot of women that looked a lot heavier than you fit on the rides. Remember your boyfriend loves you and I highly doubt he would make you feel humiliated. I think KI is much more weight friendly than say Cedar Point. We were up there this week and even with working out my husband still didn't fit in wicked twister. I commend you that you are working on losing it, I'm right there with you. I was told when I first started going to the gym to have patience, it takes time and it does, but it really pays off. I hope you have a wonderful time at KI, I know you will, it's an awesome place!

Thank you! Your post is both helpful and encouraging! If I may ask, what are your husbands measurements? Hips, chest, waist? I really would like to compare with someone who has recently been... Thank you again!! 

8 hours ago, CoasterGirl1421 said:

Thank you! Your post is both helpful and encouraging! If I may ask, what are your husbands measurements? Hips, chest, waist? I really would like to compare with someone who has recently been... Thank you again!! 

I honestly don't know, he's 6'2" and right now weighs 240, he has a big frame but most of his weight is in his belly. Not sure how much this helps but hope it does.

• Like 1

As a big girl, ride restraints trigger a certain amount of anxiety for me, so I totally understand your concerns.  I'd be happy to chat details through private message, if you'd like, as far as how each restraint fits.  The only ride I don't fit is Drop Tower, but there are a lot of people who don't.  I rode Vortex last year and have lost weight since then, but it was a bit uncomfortable and I haven't ridden it since.  There seems to be an issue with Flight of Fear this year where the restraints are varied on each row/seat.  Folks that should fit with no problem have ether been stapled and gotten off, or were unable to ride.  I was unable to ride on Opening Day, but may have been if I'd been in a more roomy restraint.  

The most comfy rides for me are Backlot, AE, Beast, Mystic.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:24 PM, whengodsaysgo said:

As a big girl, ride restraints trigger a certain amount of anxiety for me, so I totally understand your concerns.  I'd be happy to chat details through private message, if you'd like, as far as how each restraint fits.  The only ride I don't fit is Drop Tower, but there are a lot of people who don't.  I rode Vortex last year and have lost weight since then, but it was a bit uncomfortable and I haven't ridden it since.  There seems to be an issue with Flight of Fear this year where the restraints are varied on each row/seat.  Folks that should fit with no problem have ether been stapled and gotten off, or were unable to ride.  I was unable to ride on Opening Day, but may have been if I'd been in a more roomy restraint.  

The most comfy rides for me are Backlot, AE, Beast, Mystic.

I don't even ride Flight of Fear anymore due to the small size of the cars, it's not the I'm big but they are just plain uncomfortable and don't want to feel like I'm stapled in there.

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I wanted to give an update! So we went to the park yesterday, and had an amazing day!!! We rode every single roller coaster and the ONLY thing I had to be "stapled" into was Drop Tower... that girl was determined I would fit, even after I told her I would just get off! Lol! Several of the wooden coasters were a little tight with ways on my hips, and all the rides that had over the shoulder restraints sort of squeezed my boobs quite a bit, but all of the lap restraints/buckles were fine! The ride with the worst amount of leg room is by far Flight of Fear. I am so happy that I got to ride everything, it was overall a great day!! Thank you to all who replied! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoasterGirl1421 said:

Hello everyone! I wanted to give an update! So we went to the park yesterday, and had an amazing day!!! We rode every single roller coaster and the ONLY thing I had to be "stapled" into was Drop Tower... that girl was determined I would fit, even after I told her I would just get off! Lol! Several of the wooden coasters were a little tight with ways on my hips, and all the rides that had over the shoulder restraints sort of squeezed my boobs quite a bit, but all of the lap restraints/buckles were fine! The ride with the worst amount of leg room is by far Flight of Fear. I am so happy that I got to ride everything, it was overall a great day!! Thank you to all who replied! 

For what it's worth you should be fine on pretty much everything at other parks then if you two go to any. Wicked Twister at Cedar Point is a lot like Drop Tower as far as it's restrictiveness goes, but other than that you're golden. Go enjoy yourselves!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm 6'2 and weight 290 lbs. I drove 3hrs to Kings Island to try the rides. Rides I can fit on is Banshee with an exception of using row 4 and 5, Delirium easy fit, Firehawk, Black Lot, Vortex in the front row, Diamondback with just one push. Got stapled in on Racer with a second click of the l shaped lap bar. I had to get the shoulder harness on Drop Tower slammed in to get the short safety belt to latch, it went in. Been riding Drop Tower more ever since, but got stuck getting the safety belt to unfastened, had to get assistance same for getting on as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 6'3" and 280 290. I usually ride just the coasters at KI. The Beast, The Racer, Mystic Timbers, & Amazon falls are tight fitting but doable. The Diamond back and The Bat i was fine in. The Banshee is iffy. i noticed the last time i rode the the Banshee i noticed that there is a sign for person of larger size should be in rows 4 and 5. I have rode Drop Tower once and i am too big for that ride. The Flight of Fear is also kind of tight. i never rode Firehawk. i do not ride The Racer that much