Gravity - Kings Island Theater 2018

ki95

An employee Told me at the 5:00 show that ther early show was for Autism awareness week. She said that it was performed sensory friendly. I do not know why they had to move it up so early or why they did not have the 7 pm show.

They may have had it early to have time to make changes to get ready for a regular show, idk.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

An employee Told me at the 5:00 show that ther early show was for Autism awareness week. She said that it was performed sensory friendly. I do not know why they had to move it up so early or why they did not have the 7 pm show.

They may have had it early to have time to make changes to get ready for a regular show, idk.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I'm very pro autism week, as my son has ASD... But canceling the 7:00 show without informing guest services, is a disservice to the general public... Not updating any specifics to indicate when the sensory show times area is a disservice to the ASD guests...
I don't see anything on the website that was linked on Facebook today indicating what is different this week...

https://bit.ly/2zI4A15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

From a practical perspective, the show is physically demanding for the performers, and their bodies have limits as to how much they can do. 19 shows per week (4 on Saturday and 3 on the other five days) is quite a lot for them. Adding the 11:30 show without canceling a show later would have made that 20 for the week, which might be tipping the scales a bit too much. Too much physical exertion can leave one at greater risk of injury. So for the performers' safety, it makes sense to drop the last show of the day when adding an early show.

That said, it does not sound like either change was handled well.

I think what they’re doing is very cool! Hopefully the errors of today will be corrected.
Can anyone tell us what was different for the sensory-friendly shows? 

I was told the volume was quieter and the lights were left on.... But that was by guest services who didn't know the 7:00 was cancelled... So I'm not sure if that is confirmed or was their reasonable speculation.

@magentalizard and I watched the 11:30 show this morning, and they did keep the house lights on. They lowered the music volume, and took out Jett’s laser act. Brigid (blue girl alien) had a new little ditty during the bar act. Nobody came out during the pre-show. @lieutenantphil is bringing his A game per usual. :)

• Like 1

We went for the first time 7pm Saturday. I love the show, there are parts that amaze me and the mom in me thinks oh God please don't give the kid any ideas (I'm thinking of you guys doing bars lol). I can definitely appreciate the challenge of performing and making things look so easy. Cirque has drawn my attention since I was a kid so being able to see even a portion is one of my favorite parts about visiting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, whengodsaysgo said:

This was posted after the 5pm show tonight. :) Also, in case you didn’t know, the only show that is sensory-sensitive is the 11:30. :)

9695DF4E-C85E-443C-A993-530B8A849F78.jpeg

That was simply coincidence LOL as tomorrow (WED) is a no show day and the theatre staff before they leave for the day changes the show times if needed for the next day (this prevents someone from having to go in on WED just to change the sign lol)...  So when you leave the park Friday night you will notice the Saturday 4 show times are already listed...and Saturday night the times are changed for the next day so that someone doesn't have to be there before park open to change on Sunday...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, disco2000 said:

That was simply coincidence LOL as tomorrow (WED) is a no show day and the theatre staff before they leave for the day changes the show times if needed for the next day (this prevents someone from having to go in on WED just to change the sign lol)...  So when you leave the park Friday night you will notice the Saturday 4 show times are already listed...and Saturday night the times are changed for the next day so that someone doesn't have to be there before park open to change on Sunday...

You know, I kinda thought that may be the case. @Magenta Lizard did mention that they were off on Wednesdays.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:04 PM, anne1981 said:

Anyone know if Jett (lazer guy ) has a FB page or Insta gram account? Also wondering if anyone knows the names of anyone else in the show this year? TIA

Jet's is jetveseli and the rest are keithbmx   pink_pong_yeah   philibert.h.f   jeremy.roy.99   vincentbellemare   brie_88   jamesbartonpro  and  addisbrothers  

• Like 2

Gravity has been amazing this season!  And it just keeps getting better!  The performers have made little changes here and there at various times that make for a much richer experience for those of us who have seen it a time or two. ;)

I saw it three times on Monday, and Ariane changed up her alien lingo spiel so much so that Phil almost lost it.  She was extra feisty and you could see the laughter vibrating in his throat.  When chained to the wall after the purple alien act, Keith remarked that he'd rather have gone to Kings Island than exploring.  Phil was nearly eaten by the tube alien and after he escaped from its clutches, he "wiped goo" off of himself.  When he is accosted by the alien crew towards the end of the show, Vincent had started screaming at him in the past month or so, and sometimes Ariane knocks him out with her powers; sometimes Jet would drag his body off stage, sometimes not.  During one of the shows on Monday, when Vincent started his outburst, Phil turned around a screamed back.  Vincent screamed and ran off stage. 

All of these little nuances have made me love it even more. I never imagined I'd want to spend time watching the same show three times a day instead of catching rides, but the challenge has now become the challenge of how much to fit in BETWEEN shows.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, whengodsaysgo said:

Gravity has been amazing this season!  And it just keeps getting better!  The performers have made little changes here and there at various times that make for a much richer experience for those of us who have seen it a time or two. ;)

I saw it three times on Monday, and Ariane changed up her alien lingo spiel so much so that Phil almost lost it.  She was extra feisty and you could see the laughter vibrating in his throat.  When chained to the wall after the purple alien act, Keith remarked that he'd rather have gone to Kings Island than exploring.  Phil was nearly eaten by the tube alien and after he escaped from its clutches, he "wiped goo" off of himself.  When he is accosted by the alien crew towards the end of the show, Vincent had started screaming at him in the past month or so, and sometimes Ariane knocks him out with her powers; sometimes Jet would drag his body off stage, sometimes not.  During one of the shows on Monday, when Vincent started his outburst, Phil turned around a screamed back.  Vincent screamed and ran off stage. 

All of these little nuances have made me love it even more. I never imagined I'd want to spend time watching the same show three times a day instead of catching rides, but the challenge has now become the challenge of how much to fit in BETWEEN shows.

I feel the same way, I don't want to miss one show! Ive definitely choosen this over coasters and even my husband is just as crazy about the show, I wish it wasn't ending so soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2018 at 12:42 AM, Magenta Lizard said:

I forgot to mention in my post about the music from the show, Shazam has suggested that Pushing the Boundaries by Ian Livingstone is the percussion from the bar act, and World Challenge by Satnam Ramgotra is the one used during the tumbling. But I've been unable to find a source to listen to those pieces to double check. 

I'm still fairly convinced that is "Pushing the Boundaries" but have still been unable to find an audio source. 

However, the music from the bar act (World Challenge) is used in this video about a restaurant, starting at about the four minute mark:

Closest I can get! :)

Edit: I just realized I have that backwards in my original post I quoted. I believe "Pushing the Boundaries" is the tumbling act, and "World Challenge" is the bar act. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sixohdieselrage said:

So, today was the first time I have seen Gravity. I absolutely loved it. But, those that saw it at the beginning of the year, I have a question for you...

Did I hear one of the astronauts in the scene where they are "tied up" say "We shoulda got Gold Passes"? 

The dialogue there has been switched up a few times. When I saw it a couple weeks ago, that line was "We shoulda went to Kings Island." With 2019 passes now on sale, I'm not surprised that they decided to change it to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

The dialogue there has been switched up a few times. When I saw it a couple weeks ago, that line was "We shoulda went to Kings Island." With 2019 passes now on sale, I'm not surprised that they decided to change it to that.

I’m sure he wasn’t coaxed into saying that. He probably just saw the ads and thought it would be funny. 

Ive also heard:

”Can I have a burrito?”

”Can I at least have something to eat?”

...as well as him acting like he was crying.

EDIT: Check this out...

• Like 5

He's been saying "we should have gone to Kings Island!" off and on for a couple weeks, so the gold pass comment was riffing on that. I always watch all three shows the days I go, and typically he chooses a different line for each show in a day. 

He has really developed as a performer as the season has progressed. We learned at the blog meetup behind-the-scenes tour that this is the first cirque production he has been involved in (although he's been doing stunt bikes for years). At the beginning of the season I noticed he seemed a little uncomfortable on stage when he wasn't performing on the bike (which has always been fantastic). It's been fun to watch him start to enjoy himself on stage, and even start hamming it up for laughs. 

• Like 2