Gravity - Kings Island Theater 2018

ki95

I guess I should say a few words about the Gravity experience yesterday. 

I visit Kings Island a lot - more than most. It’s easy for days to blend together. For me, there are some days that stand out well above the others: my first enthusiast event (BeastBuzz 2004), the first event I ever hosted (KIC Day 2008), the day I met Mefford (when they were installing the new marquis in early 2008), the day I met Don (Nickelodeon Universe media day), etc. This was another one of those days.  It was so serreal to hang out with this cast (who were all very sociable and nice), see how everything worked, and get to literally see something behind the scenes that I hadn’t been able to experience before. So incredible!

For those who attended, it might be nice to shoot an email to kingsislandGS[at]visitkingsisland.com and let them know that you enjoyed the experience and appreciated what they did for us.

Check out this amazing video by Ariana Cabana (the orange alien) about the making of Gravity.

• Like 5

Saw the last 4 shows (the 7 PM last night and then all 3 shows today) and they were fantastic as usual. The cast pulled out all the stops for these last shows, including wrapping up some loose ends and even throwing some Haunt references in there on the last show. The cast has been great this year and I thanked them all the 5 PM meet and greet as well as got my picture with the talented Addas brothers (the guys in the purple with the awesome appendages!) at the 3 PM meet and greet. As some know, Cirque has a passionate fanbase and everyone was clapping and cheering during that last show- some even cried (not me, but I did get sad during the 3 PM show when Jet pointed his laser towards the "stage left" podium where Paco/Jocko would appear from to start the pre-show of Origins, as it made me think of said show)! Thanks again to the cast and crew who made this Haut-Vol production out of this world!

• Like 3

During the fantastic behind-the-scenes tour some of us had on Saturday, someone asked if Phil would ever get the kiss at the ending of the show. He replied "I've been trying all year!" 

At the final performance, he did, and then she joined him in the "rocket" at the end. 

IMG_3938.JPG

It was such an appropriate way to bring the season to a close. 

During one of the other performances, he referenced a question I asked at the tour. I had wondered from the very beginning about the alien language Ariane spoke in the show. I felt sometimes like I could pick out little bits of French so I asked if it was French and something else, or if it was entirely made up. It turns out that she invented it herself and that the things she says have specific "meanings", but occasionally she would throw in a little in French to make her castmates laugh. 

So at one of the final performances after her long tirade about him stealing the "bubaloo" and to give it back, instead of responding "what?" he asked "are you French?" :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The entire show was just different and the energy was astounding.

At the beginning where Phil says about how many likes he's going to get on spacebook, instead he said oh you already know the joke.

When they took selfies they were using what I assumed was his personal phone and turned around to include the audience in the photo. Keith acted super crazy when they were closing the spaceship.

Phil threw a severed body part from haunt at the green alien.

In the dark robot scene Phil ran at the end and the robots chased him 

The scene where Keith and James are tied up, Keith was in a tiny box cage and James was on the outside on top of it.

Phil said the line about oh you're French. And he also said he knew what she wanted, the glass ball.

Phil kissed the alien at the end and she went back in the spaceship with them.

There was a bunch more I can't remember off the top of my head but maybe someone else will. 

I went on Haut Vol's Facebook page and there's quite an interesting line about the last show...

Thank you very much for a beautiful season, see you next year for another summer of trips to Planet 6328! 

Does this mean what I think it means???

20180819_191842.jpg

• Like 2

I would say that means what you think it means. 

During the selfie taking when he included the audience behind him in the shot, Phil "forgot" to remove his helmet and only finally took it off after wrestling with the flag... and when he did, his hair was slicked back into a ponytail.

Phil also took Kevin (the little ball with an eye) when it was thrown at him, treated it nicely instead of throwing or kicking it back, and continued to carry it with him all the way until he runs offstage at the end of that scene. 

During the bar act, the female blue alien came out at the same time as the orange alien, at the point where she usually tried to jump to the bar but missed because she's too short. The one in blue got down on hands and knees to be used as a stool to reach the bar, but she still missed. Then the one in blue picked her up to try to reach the second bar, and missed again :)

Rather than the blue alien who had been extensively yelling at Phil after he was captured, one of the purple ones did. I forget how that part was concluded, though...

When she asked him for the "bubaloo" he asked nicely for his friends to be released rather than demanding.

Even with all these things I'm sure there are even more we've forgotten. 

This pic shows Phil's slicked back hair, her reaction to him repeating in English back to her what she had asked, and the way the other astronauts were restrained in the final show. 

IMG_3571.JPG

Edit: I just remembered during one of yesterday's shows but I can't remember for sure it was the final, when Phil was trying to blend into the backdrop to hide he put on the orange alien's hood. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I would say that means what you think it means. 

During the selfie taking when he included the audience behind him in the shot, Phil "forgot" to remove his helmet and only finally took it off after wrestling with the flag... and when he did, his hair was slicked back into a ponytail.

Phil also took Kevin (the little ball with an eye) when it was thrown at him, treated it nicely instead of throwing or kicking it back, and continued to carry it with him all the way until he runs offstage at the end of that scene. 

During the bar act, the female blue alien came out at the same time as the orange alien, at the point where she usually tried to jump to the bar but missed because she's too short. The one in blue got down on hands and knees to be used as a stool to reach the bar, but she still missed. Then the one in blue picked her up to try to reach the second bar, and missed again :)

Rather than the blue alien who had been extensively yelling at Phil after he was captured, one of the purple ones did. I forget how that part was concluded, though...

When she asked him for the "bubaloo" he asked nicely for his friends to be released rather than demanding.

Even with all these things I'm sure there are even more we've forgotten. 

This pic shows Phil's slicked back hair, her reaction to him repeating in English back to her what she had asked, and the way the other astronauts were restrained in the final show. 

IMG_3571.JPG

Edit: I just remembered during one of yesterday's shows but I can't remember for sure it was the final, when Phil was trying to blend into the backdrop to hide he put on the orange alien's hood. 

That was the final show, I forgot all about that, they did so many small/funny changes, it's was really entertaining.

Edit: Something I thought was pretty cool, during the bike act Phil was video taping them with his phone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to the party again, but I'm here to share my final thoughts on my Gravity experience this summer.

Like I've said a million times before, I never imagined I'd fall in love with a show like I have Gravity.  The KI Theatre was a lovely retreat from the weather, but even more so it was wonderful to become immersed in another world for thirty minutes at a time.  If it was an all-day park day for me, it was nothing for me to watch three or four times a day (depending on the day of course).  I connected with so many lovely people who also love the show. :)   It was such a breath of fresh air, and this being my first season as a super fan as @Magenta Lizard calls us, I don't have previous seasons to compare it to.  I've heard that some liked the past seasons more than this one.  I've always been in love with space and when I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. I'm not sure if it was that, or the talented cast, or the thrills of the acts or what, but I enjoyed every minute of every show. 

@Lieutenant Phil and the rest of the cast brought their best every time.  They pulled out all the stops with such energy and passion that as an audience member, you couldn't help but feel you had travelled to Planet 6328.  Each act evolved and developed and was perfected as the weeks went by.  I, for one, loved it when one of the characters would switch up their wording or do something a little different.  The fact that they were having a blast, made us have a blast.  The energy was infectious and uplifting. I'm looking forward to watching their journeys on social media, and would love to have them back next season!  Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.

I was honored to participate in the blog meet up on the closing weekend of the show.  We got a glimpse into what rehearsals look like and got to ask questions of the entertainment department and the cast. We got preferred seating during the show, and afterwards we were taken a few at a time backstage.  We were able to greet the cast and see the green room and backstage areas. We were shown the video that Ariane had filmed and edited about the show. I'm so grateful to Kings Island and @DonHelbig not only for providing such wonderful entertainment for us, but also providing us this rich behind the scenes look at Gravity. :) 

• Like 5

I'm late to the party again, but I'm here to share my final thoughts on my Gravity experience this summer.
Like I've said a million times before, I never imagined I'd fall in love with a show like I have Gravity.  The KI Theatre was a lovely retreat from the weather, but even more so it was wonderful to become immersed in another world for thirty minutes at a time.  If it was an all-day park day for me, it was nothing for me to watch three or four times a day (depending on the day of course).  I connected with so many lovely people who also love the show.    It was such a breath of fresh air, and this being my first season as a super fan as [mention=9282]Magenta Lizard[/mention] calls us, I don't have previous seasons to compare it to.  I've heard that some liked the past seasons more than this one.  I've always been in love with space and when I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. I'm not sure if it was that, or the talented cast, or the thrills of the acts or what, but I enjoyed every minute of every show. 
[mention=11281]Lieutenant Phil[/mention] and the rest of the cast brought their best every time.  They pulled out all the stops with such energy and passion that as an audience member, you couldn't help but feel you had travelled to Planet 6328.  Each act evolved and developed and was perfected as the weeks went by.  I, for one, loved it when one of the characters would switch up their wording or do something a little different.  The fact that they were having a blast, made us have a blast.  The energy was infectious and uplifting. I'm looking forward to watching their journeys on social media, and would love to have them back next season!  Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication.
I was honored to participate in the blog meet up on the closing weekend of the show.  We got a glimpse into what rehearsals look like and got to ask questions of the entertainment department and the cast. We got preferred seating during the show, and afterwards we were taken a few at a time backstage.  We were able to greet the cast and see the green room and backstage areas. We were shown the video that Ariane had filmed and edited about the show. I'm so grateful to Kings Island and [mention=9169]DonHelbig[/mention] not only for providing such wonderful entertainment for us, but also providing us this rich behind the scenes look at Gravity.  

Could not agree more! My family of eight enjoyed the show on many occasions, (some times right behind@whengodsaysgo) sometimes all three in one day. It was a great show!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1